U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,423,409 times

Advertisements

There are many transplants living in the alpharetta-johns creek-cumming area.

People began relocating to ATL for employment with corporations in the early 60's. The joke is that there are few natives. If there is a 'lack of acceptance' I wouldn't think it would be because of being from anywhere else.

I hope all goes well with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:56 AM

13 posts, read 29,176 times
Traffic sucks

Old 05-21-2010, 08:21 AM

5,776 posts, read 6,503,065 times
Default No Road Rage in Alpharetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
There is road rage and plenty of traffic in the Alpharetta area, but you may already be used to heavy traffic on weekends and such.
We've been here 6 yrs. and I haven't noticed any road rage in Alpharetta, but I don't commute during rush hour anymore. During the day, all is pleasant, except for the people gabbing on their cell phones or texting. I guess that's everywhere, though.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:58 PM

909 posts, read 3,390,300 times
Moved down from Boston 6 yrs ago and am quite happy here.
Alpharetta is a good place, I lived there for 1.5 years and still work there. Road rage= not an issue at all. If anything, people are nicer about letting you in, etc.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 AM

197 posts, read 430,046 times
I'm from North Jersey originally, have lived here for 5 years and really like it. I haven't seen a lot of road rage myself. I actually think drivers are more courteous here than just about any other place I've ever driven. One thing I have seen a few times is when you're stopped at a light someone will start hitting their horn for you to go even though the light hasn't turned green yet. But, I've figured out that just about all the horn blowers down here are fellow North Easterner's.

Last edited by DreamKeeper; 05-22-2010 at 01:27 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 07:25 AM

205 posts, read 598,781 times
You might get some good humored ribbing about being from the North, but even that seems to be few and far between.

Our friends are from all over the place, and I have never felt like anyone excluded someone else based on where they were from.

While Atlanta may not be a true racial/ethnic melting pot, it definitely does feel like a geographic melting pot.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM

2,816 posts, read 9,211,871 times
So far about the only thing I regret is not being able to invent a "Hogie" preservation machine! Can't find'em down here at all.

Overall, most items are "new" compared to "old" up north.
Double the house, half the cost and that also is "new", well 6 years ago.
Taxes, rather enjoy my 3K per year vs 10k per year on a house of a 1,000 more square feet.
Have the mountains at my back door and the dirty city less than an hours drive.

Road Rage??? Compared to NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago? Now that's a laugh. Granted, Atlanta is the most aggressive driving in the country mostly due to speed overall, not temper.

Overall. Life is what you make it. If you like city life you will like it. If you like the burbs you will like it, if you like rural then head to Dawson county north, you will like it.

Good Luck!

PS: If your coming from Philly can you bring a Hogie!?!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,546,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Atlanta is the most aggressive driving in the country mostly due to speed overall, not temper.
100% accurate unfortunately. Ignorance or complete unwillingness to drive correctly seems to be the order of the day in the southeast, not just Atlanta.

I just got back from Charlotte, and the same crap happens in north GA, SC, and NC on I-85. Tailgating, cutting off with no signal, excessive speeding, and generally driving like your head is up one of your bodily cavities.

I didn't see a single cop the entire trip from Marietta to Charlotte. Not one on I-85 in any of the three states. No wonder people drive like total morons when they have no concern for enforcement. It's a disgrace. If these people drove in VA, MD, NJ, CT, MA they would be bagged and tagged.

This reputation of speed traps in the southeast is pure fantasy.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:38 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,845,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
100% accurate unfortunately. Ignorance or complete unwillingness to drive correctly seems to be the order of the day in the southeast, not just Atlanta.

I just got back from Charlotte, and the same crap happens in north GA, SC, and NC on I-85. Tailgating, cutting off with no signal, excessive speeding, and generally driving like your head is up one of your bodily cavities.

I didn't see a single cop the entire trip from Marietta to Charlotte. Not one on I-85 in any of the three states. No wonder people drive like total morons when they have no concern for enforcement. It's a disgrace. If these people drove in VA, MD, NJ, CT, MA they would be bagged and tagged.

This reputation of speed traps in the southeast is pure fantasy.
We have had very different experiences on I-85...I'm a frequent traveler between Charlotte and Atlanta, and am always seeing highway patrol cars cruising that corridor - especially in SC. I've even been welcomed by one or two.

Keep in mind that people who drive here aren't limited to the state of Georgia or even the South. We DO drive in VA, MD, NF, CT, MA, etc and see some of the crazies on those roads. There are just as many as anywhere else!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 AM

69 posts, read 175,253 times
I enjoy reading all the comments!! No good "Hoogies" in CT, sorry ... I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to these "grey days" of the north, and Hello Sunshine!... When the relator told me that there were many agressive drivers, my comment to him was "they must be from the north" LOL, I won't even drive through NY. When we drive down to GA, NC, or TN areas my husband drives through NY and NJ and then I feel I can take over. Overrall, I have a good feeling about GA, it'll take some time to adjust and make friends I'm sure. Thanks again!!! keep the comments rolling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or