U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM

767 posts, read 1,953,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad1974 View Post
We came down last week, loved the area. The people seemed really nice! our daughter got sick with a high fever and we brought her to North Fulton ER ( they were so good to us ) she had strep and even the ER Dr. followed up at our home in CT days later to check on her !! now, thats service. Here in CT you are just a number, the ER doctor would never call !!

!
I think you answered your own question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,930,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Oh Lord did I have a case of "Stupid"
Hoagie it is!!!!! Guess I have been gone so long I forgot how to spell the only real sandwich known to man.

Also a "Sub" is something a Navy Bubblehead travels in, not a sandwich.
A "Hero" is a person who risk thier life to save others, or for that matter it was Mel Gibson in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Again, not a sandwich.

A "HoAgie" is the real sammich!

To tell ya the truth, before the economy took a poop I was going to open a Philadelphia style deli in the Buford / Dacula area.
Picture it all. A Philly style restaurant with HoAgie's galore! Pizza that is real Pizza, pretzels and beer. TV's with the Flyers and Eagles of course. Decor of Philly from the Liberty Bell to again, the Blessed Eagles!

Was a good thought at the time

Now, that would solve my only regret. Ok, my only craving
lmao not in NY its not.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 PM

642 posts, read 1,941,036 times
It'll always be just a sub to me and everybody I grew up with and worked wiith over the years.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,559,641 times
It's "hero" when I'm with my relatives and friends from NYC, and a "grinder" around my wife and kids and friends/in-laws from New England.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,810,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
It's "hero" when I'm with my relatives and friends from NYC, and a "grinder" around my wife and kids and friends/in-laws from New England.
Yeah, I had never heard of grinders until I was stationed in New London back in my Navy days.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,344 times
Default From John's Creek, GA to Fairfield County, CT

Hi~

I was browsing for info about Connecticut while my husband and I decide if we'd like to take his company's relo offer and saw your post. I live in John's Creek, so I will be happy to share any info you might need.

Just a few thoughts from reading the posts:

~It's cheap to live here. I've been stunned by what housing costs in CT and CO (our other option). For $250K you can get a 4 bd 2.5 ba 1800+sf house in a nice neighborhood that is new or under 15 years old with central air quite easily in suburban Atlanta. In fact, my "starter home" that we bought when I was in my early 20's was a 3bd/2full ba 1750 sf on 3/4 of an acre... So imagine me having to think about moving into something smaller than my "starter home" if we move... And the thought of not having central air or two full baths is scary! lol! So a pretty big consideration for us is whether the cost of living pay increase moving to the northeast would truly be enough for us to maintain our lifestyle on.

~The word is out that it's cheap and there has been a huge influx of growth in the past 20 years. Metro Atlanta is like the UN. There has been a huge, and I mean HUGE wave of immigration here from Mexico and many other south American countries, Jamaica, Trinidad, Haiti & other Caribbean countries, Africa, Asia, India, Pakistan~ you name it. Many are legal, many are not. Drive a little further down Pleasant Hill Road (State Bridge Road) from John's Creek and you will notice dozens of signs with Chinese and Korean characters or all in Spanish and no English translation. The reason they don't care if you can read the sign is because they have large enough community of their own and don't need the "gringo" business. I don't want to start any political discussions about it & I'm not trying to make a statement about immigrants or immigration, but this is something to consider before moving here. You should ask yourself if you are looking for a lot of diversity, and if so, you will love Atlanta. (On the plus side, if you like Indian curries, Vietnamese Pho, Korean barbeque, heck even more exotic food, it will all be in your backyard... and the Duluth International Market is quite an experience).

~Georgia schools, like most of the Southeast, are pretty awful schools, most quite burdened by the immigrant situation, and others just burdened by a whole lot of the children of the economically disadvantaged. Low income families= low taxes= little money for education. Look into test scores and the overall GA percentile. My husband and I had already agreed that if we had kids they would definitely have to go to private school if we stayed here. So I would strongly recommend that you consider taking the money you save on housing and taxes and funnel it into education in private institutions if a great education is high on your priorities.

~ As for "road rage"... The population here is dense. Atlanta has spawned concrete suburban sprawl across a huge area. There's not much "green space" unless you get out of town. (There are small community parks, but you will most likely not drive through areas with large expanses of trees and green on a regular basis unless you get more rural...some areas of Cumming might still have some of this, but not John's Creek or Alpharetta). We spend a lot of time commuting in heavy traffic. I work 20 miles from my house and it takes me 45 minutes to get there & I'm taking surface streets instead of the interstate. GA 400, in the area you are considering, is regularly jammed with traffic. Last week, my husband and I got home from vacation and left the airport (don't get me started on Hartsfield) at 10:30pm and hit a traffic jam (on Saturday night, mind you) on 8-lane I-75 through downtown. I have twice recently posted aggravated Facebook updates on Sunday afternoons when I've been stuck in traffic jams on I-285 (also an 8-lane highway). Notice these were weekend days. Now picture rush hour. I don't know any statistics, but I have heard it said that Atlanta traffic is second only to LA. So, you can imagine that traffic makes us sometimes moody. Most don't take it out on other drivers, though. Oh, and I should say that one thing I have noticed in my travels to other states is that we speed in Georgia. This is most likely where the comment came from. It is not unusual for me to be going 10-15 mph over the speed limit and have someone up my backside to get past me (so be sure to practice the "left lane is fast lane" rule and get over)... and that's on in town roads. On the interstate it is a pretty fair bet that most people will be doing 15-20 over the speed limit or get run over. Seriously, people doing the speed limit on the interstate actually create a safety problem! My husband called me the other day to say he went past a motorcycle cop doing radar and he was going 22 over and the guy didn't stop him. Maybe waiting for a "real speeder"? lol! (Someone mentioned South Carolina, though, and I can concur that South Carolina State Troopers are well known for nabbing speeders).

~The big lure for us to move to CT is that we are really interested in having a more quaint "New-Englandy" lifestyle. Would love to know if that still exists!

~Don't go anywhere near MLK if you are headed downtown.

~If we were to stay in ATL, we were definitely thinking of moving further north toward Cumming (which is ahead of the curve of rampant development), but both John's Creek and Alpharetta are quite nice, just dense and bustling. For us, we would choose to buy in the nicest and most expensive neighborhood we could afford. You will be tempted by the low prices to buy a (still very nice) house that's cheaper because it's equivalent to what you lived in before in CT, perhaps even a bit nicer, and have excess cash for fun stuff. But if you do you must realize that people from other parts of the world are used to living in closer proximity to each other and many generations to a dwelling, and you will have to be prepared when a 10 person family from Trinidad moves in next door, cuts down all of the trees, and has garage sales of god knows what next door every weekend, as happened to me in Athens. My fault for going the "affordable route".

Anyway, I can give you all of the low-down you need, so just ask. BTW, there are great people and grumpy people everywhere, but I find that Southerners are much more welcoming and chatty than most. They will ask you all sorts of things, not to pry, but to make conversation. We find that some Yankees are really curt and unfriendly and have an off-putting abruptness that borders on rude. My friend from Long Island explains that it's not purposeful rudeness, they are just "to the point", but it doesn't come off that way. Just FYI. So I'm curious about the stereotypes of Southerners in CT!

Hope you have a great day~

Old 06-06-2010, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 3,990 times
We're moving there in July and have stayed there a couple times checking things out. I love the place! We're moving from Southern Ga, near FL state line and can't wait to get there. Am wondering however, if anyone has input on Belmont @ Park Bridge Apts, that is where we are leaning toward - off Old Milton Pky. I see someone said OMP has traffic problems in the a.m., so thinking it would be good to look for work in a different area? We have terrible crime here and looking for areas of less crime.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 AM

13 posts, read 36,968 times
I've never driven much up north, but I have been through the midwest and west coast and can say that Georgia drivers are definitely the fastest I've encountered. I've lived in Georgia most of my life and it was a shock to see people actually go the speed limit. Lived out of state for one year and it was refreshing coming back knowing that I didn't have to worry so much about being pulled over! There are a good amount of traffic cops but in my experience, I haven't seen a lot of them ITP. They mostly stick to I-285 and beyond.

Speaking of 285, I would really try to avoid driving on it during rush hour if you can. It is not fun at all. People talk about driving through downtown, and yes it gets crowded on the 75/85 connector but I've found the worst traffic to be 285. 400 too, around where it intersects with 285. I'm glad I don't have to use those two on a regular basis.

Overall, just be prepared to keep up and not get run over from behind and watch for brake lights in front! You'll get used to it.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,412 times
Our only regret is that we cannot stay! We looked at the suburbs but found them too crowded and the traffic no better than up North. We chose our dream retirement home on a very quiet lake (High Falls Lake) in a state park (High Falls State Park), and it's only about 40 minutes to the airport and 45 minutes to Atlanta or Macon. It's fantastic, because we can have the peaceful country feel, but we're only 4 minutes away from a store, gas station, and I-75. We love it here, but one family crisis after another occurred, and now we must sell. (Your Page Title)

Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 PM

52 posts, read 135,487 times
Traffic certainly sucks, but that is the case plenty of places.

We moved here from the Pittsburgh area 6 years ago, and with the exception of those damn fire ants, we love it and it very quickly felt like home.

And if you are moving to the John's Creek area, may I recommend Pediatric Dental town for your children's dentist...never in the north have I experienced such a caring dentist for my kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or