U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 PM

21,044 posts, read 33,049,831 times

Advertisements

Reality: In my DH's and my close circle of friends, three are interracial couples AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM LIVE OUTSIDE THE PERIMETER WITH NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.
It always amuses me that people make pronouncements on here such as "Oh, you must live ITP, you won't be accepted OTP"...how on earth do they know this? Just be yourself and live where you want.
Our dearest friends are a mixed-race couple; he, my DH's best bud from HS; she, a native Jamaican raised in London. They live in Lake Arrowhead (Cherokee County, exurban Atlanta) and they adore their (pretty much all white) neighbors, and vice-versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,160,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Our dearest friends are a mixed-race couple; he, my DH's best bud from HS; she, a native Jamaican raised in London. They live in Lake Arrowhead (Cherokee County, exurban Atlanta) and they adore their (pretty much all white) neighbors, and vice-versa.
Yeah, the way some folks on here talk about us OTP'ers out here in Cherokee County, you'd think we were running some sort of Aryan Nation militia or something....lol.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 PM

43 posts, read 84,056 times
wow

Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,980,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
This question is going to really depend on where you both will be working and price point but these areas will suit you best.

Smyrna, Inman Park, Candler Park, Midtown, Buckhead, Druild Hills, Oakhurst, Eastlake, Emory Area, City of Decatur & Downtown Decatur, West Midtown, Edgewood, Grant Park, Old 4th Ward, East Atlanta Village, Old 4th Ward, Virginia Highlands, Poncey Highland, Castleberry Hill, Downtown.

Most of the intown areas (Inside of 285 which is the belway around Atlanta) have a higher amount of mixed couples and more progressive attitudes towards them so you have tons of neighborhoods to choose from.

Good luck to you and your wife!
I like this.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:57 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,980,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revktbakes View Post
I lived of Camp Creek for 5 years and cant remember one interracial couple in southwest Atlanta. I would say that you should look intown like the Grant Park or Piedmont park. People are definetly more progressive thinking around the Colleges
I like this.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM

43 posts, read 84,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Reality: In my DH's and my close circle of friends, three are interracial couples AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM LIVE OUTSIDE THE PERIMETER WITH NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.
It always amuses me that people make pronouncements on here such as "Oh, you must live ITP, you won't be accepted OTP"...how on earth do they know this? Just be yourself and live where you want.
i like this!

Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 AM

14 posts, read 32,224 times
... I'm half chinese/half pakistani... my husband is half french/half malaysia... you don't get anymore interracial than that... I am a darker skin color and my husband looks obviously Caucasian next to me... I was born and raised in the suburbs of Atlanta OUTSIDE the perimeter and never had a problem I was raised in Alpharetta which some people may think would be a bit more opposed to interracial couples but again... never had a problem... North burbs would be great for you guys... not sure about the south as I have never really lived there

Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,332,609 times
In Town? I see the least amount of Interracial couples in the city. Move to the Northern Suburbs

Specifically Gwinnett if you want the most amount of other interracial couples. Atlanta is a very segragated city. It is very diverse overall but Gwinnett is your best bet. It's 20-30 mins outside of the city but you will find more diviersity there. Other areas that would be suitable would be North Fulton or Cobb County.

I am in an interracial marriage myself. I live in Dekalb though. But notice i'm not recommending it based on you looking for other interrcial couples. There's not a lot in Dekalb.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 4,084 times
I agree Mr. GE. I live in N. Fulton, but work downtown. Gwinnett is a good suggestion...if you can handle the traffic!

I see the least number of IR couples downtown (don't know about southside); I think the northern suburbs would be more accepting; seems like people are more class conscious than race conscious.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM

274 posts, read 746,214 times
Find an area you like and live there and let people adapt to you. Yes, subtle racism is alive and well here but for the most part I dont think you will have and problems as there are many, many interacial people and couples here. It's really sad that people have to ask where it's ok to live because of their color. This is 2010. Sad. Hope you enjoy it when you arrive, lots of beautiful places, people and things here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or