U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,130 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say Atlanta is the best place for interracial couples, but I doubt it's the worst. If you are forced to move here above others states then you don't have a choice. I would move to Midtown, if you an afford it. Live in the heart of Atlanta (Peachtree street), or Inman Park, or Virginia Highland OR wherever young professionals live. But if you want to start a family then like always, the city isn't the best place to do it. Goodluck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 04:49 AM

2,671 posts, read 5,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiegirl31 View Post
Does it really matter what section you move to? Move where you want! Of course SOME people will look at you and your wife, but so effin what! Seriously no normal person gives a Sh it about you and your wife! Ignore the stares that is sure to come and enjoy your life! If anyone talks Sh it then show them the middle finger!

Hhahahaha this is a funny thread geez
Thank you. Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneloveU View Post
Im a black male and my wife is greek/white are thinking of moving to atlanta in the next couple of monthes. Just wondering what areas inperticaler have a nice number of Interracial couples. most people say universites or military bases. I just want my wife to feel comfortable and happy.
My wife and I live in Castleberry Hill atm. I am 3/4 white (mom white, dad 1/2 white, 1/2 black), and my wife is a black Caribbean woman. We have no issues. We have three kids, and are looking at suburban areas to move to at the moment. People looking at us and our kids is the last thing we have on our list as criterion for our future home purchase. The neighbors will have to deal with it. We could care less.

Don't let that be a crutch as to where you want to live. The only thing I can advise you to do is look for areas where people are educated, want the best for their kids and families. People who love and respect where they live. If you like suburban life, seek it. If city life is what you want, go for it.
You failed to tell us what setting would work best for you and your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revktbakes View Post
I lived of Camp Creek for 5 years and cant remember one interracial couple in southwest Atlanta. I would say that you should look intown like the Grant Park or Piedmont park. People are definetly more progressive thinking around the Colleges
You haven't looked hard enough, or noticed (Which is not a bad thing. It means that you're not too concerned about it.). One of my closest friends, who is engaged, lives in that area. Fiancee's white, and she's been living there with him for a bit over 2 years now. No issues so far.

We go to the LA Fitness on Camp Creek together, no issues from anyone there. People aren't even worried or don't care for the most part. I've seen my fair share of caucasian people at the gym, and the Longhorn Steak house in that area. Go on any given day, you'll see what I'm talking about. People have better things to do with their time in Atlanta for the most part.

Oh, btw, my friend's next door neighbor who's also AA, seems to bring plenty of women (mainly caucasian from our nosy observations ) to his house. We're talking about the same area. I don't see or hear that he has any issues with the neighbors.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 843 times
@OneLoveU - would love to hear your update as to how your move to Atlanta went and how you are finding it.

Cella
Black Women For White Men (Roswell, GA) - Meetup

Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM

165 posts, read 424,123 times
This is kind of a side note, but I always find it funny that "progressive" thinking, is really how everyone should be thinking.

But back to the question... anything inside the perimeter, and close to the metro area outside of the perimeter should be fine. There are too many other nationalities, races, sexual orientations around Atlanta for people to really care.

Of course there will always be that person who gives the weird look, but when you live 60 miles outside of the city and commute intown everyday, i'd imagine it would be out of the norm to see an interracial couple for them.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:42 PM

4,581 posts, read 6,151,395 times
Here's my 2 cents. As some posters have mentioned there are some women in Atlanta so fine it proves God is a man. If you have never been to Atlanta take a recon trip with your wife. Maybe when one of the festivals are going on. It's true many men have moved to Atlanta and went into "onion" shock.

As for the interracial racail thing I wouldn't worry about it because after work people go their separate ways. Now with that being said once you go say 30-50 miles outside of Atlanta there are some people who still lean toward the old ways.. One more thing. expect to gain weight..The south is a eating place and some of the people can burn...Especially barbecue...Man I'm almost talking myself into moving back..

Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,852,716 times
It's still a stigma in Atlanta however improved it has gotten over the past decade. I think that has a lot to do with the large number of non-Southerners moving to Atlanta and changing the culture. Nonetheless, interracial relationships are still viewed with scrutiny even if it isn't publicly displayed. I know it can be very difficult for non-Caucasian men to date caucasian women particularly native Southern caucasian women from prominent families. These families may not advertise their disapproval of such issues but it still exists. It would be disingenuous for any Atlanta resident to deny such a notion exists, and any claims that it doesn't exist is neither fair nor accurate. I often find this attitude to be more prevalent in wealthier suburbs. I found the poorer areas to be more open and receptive to interracial dating.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,846,210 times
Really these type threads are very tiring and old, move where you want to, you are not living in 1962.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM

538 posts, read 755,275 times
Stay away from the predominantly black areas like Cascade where you will be shunned for not dating a "sista".....if you go to the "great white north" or northern suburbs nobody will even give you a second glance and you will be fine....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or