U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,609,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_moore View Post
Why are homes soooo cheap in the ATL(metro) area? I'm moving from Illinois and housing is like 50% cheaper. I've been looking in Fayetteville, Stockbridge, McDonough and a house that would be about 250,000 here is half of that in GA.. WOW!! I think I'm in heaven LOL.. I'm really exciting about moving now.
The question is why are they so friggin EXPENSIVE in Illinois? A place with high taxes, bad schools and you freeze your ass off 8 months of the year. But I will point this out- be very careful what you buy here. Many houses here are poorly built and have bad plastic plumbing in them that you will have to replace. There is a reason that stuff is illegal in Illinois.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I'd suggest you look at the home prices in the more desirable parts of the metro area like Alpharetta, Peachtree City, and Brookhaven before concluding that everything here is "dirt cheap" in good areas.
Compared to Chicagoland even those areas are cheap. You can buy a decent home in Alpharetta for $350,000. That "might" get you a small condo in a so-so part of Chicago. And here you can buy today for the listed price. So if a house list a price of $250,000, you can go today and buy it for $250,000. In Chicagoland, a listing price is just a starting point. After you end up in a bidding war with 12 other people, the final price will be much more than the listing price was.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
Dont portions of 2 of those towns spill into Clayton county. Have the schools there regained their accreditation?
They are in Fayette and Coweta

Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Cause the building codes are far less stringent and you know how they say you get what you pay for.
TRUE that! The quality and workmanship here is worse than anyplace I have ever lived. Pay attention to every detail and find a very experienced house inspector before you buy anything.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:17 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,408,610 times
Housing has ALWAYS been cheap here and it will continue to be this way for many many years

Old 05-22-2010, 11:57 AM

44 posts, read 251,984 times
OMG me too! I live in Naperville, IL and the homes are OUTRAGEOUS, I was shock out of my shocks when I saw the price of housing. I family roots are from Georgia, but I've never been south of the Mason Dixon but once. But I'm packing will be moving in two months, Peachtree City here this northern comes.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:59 PM

267 posts, read 269,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlias View Post
I don't know what all of them are talking about, Rod. Sounds like you got a great fit for you.

I was originally going to comment that 1 of the reasons they may be cheaper is because they are further away from where most of the jobs are. Businesses do not make it a point of setting up shop in those areas. People tend to live there because they WANT to be away from all the crowdedness of the city. But because the commutes are longer (if you work way up on the Northside), many people are not willing to live that far South. Hence... lower prices.

Don't listen to the naysayers... Lots of beautiful houses AND they don't shortchange you on the yardspace like you see in the overpopulated areas.
guy they build a lot of pretty junk there.anybody can be a builder in ga.it is a unregulated industry

Old 05-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
TRUE that! The quality and workmanship here is worse than anyplace I have ever lived. Pay attention to every detail and find a very experienced house inspector before you buy anything.
a home inspector told me he would buy a older home in metro atl because the quailty is better than the new stuff

Old 05-23-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_moore View Post
Why are homes soooo cheap in the ATL(metro) area? I'm moving from Illinois and housing is like 50% cheaper. I've been looking in Fayetteville, Stockbridge, McDonough and a house that would be about 250,000 here is half of that in GA.. WOW!! I think I'm in heaven LOL.. I'm really exciting about moving now.
that because atl is one of the foreclosure capitals in the usa,go back to 2006 at the same homes prices.make sure you have a job or marketable skills before you go there.all the better paying jobs tend to be in the north side of town ,40 mile commute in terrible traffic negates cheap home prices.do your homework it is not the utopia some folks try to make it out to be

Old 05-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
a home inspector told me he would buy a older home in metro atl because the quailty is better than the new stuff
It is bad- really bad. Very shoddy work in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta