U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:57 PM

1,154 posts, read 2,285,102 times

Advertisements

I will be the dissenter here. I think that the interest rates, prices and motivation for sellers to sell are huge and can make a difference as to what you can afford for monthly mortgage payments. If you sell your current house at the bottom of the market and wait, you may get less of a home than you hoped for.

However, you need to feel comfortable with the area, school district (your kids will be socializing with other neighborhood kids even if they don't attend school with them). Do research (I used to read Atlanta magazine, and AJC as well as City-Data). Your husband can also ask around at his new job for recommendations. Another trip down here and you might find the neighborhood of your dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 03:59 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,974,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I will be the dissenter here. I think that the interest rates, prices and motivation for sellers to sell are huge and can make a difference as to what you can afford for monthly mortgage payments. If you sell your current house at the bottom of the market and wait, you may get less of a home than you hoped for.

However, you need to feel comfortable with the area, school district (your kids will be socializing with other neighborhood kids even if they don't attend school with them). Do research (I used to read Atlanta magazine, and AJC as well as City-Data). Your husband can also ask around at his new job for recommendations. Another trip down here and you might find the neighborhood of your dreams.
Asking new colleagues is a first-rate suggestion. That was very helpful to us.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM

28 posts, read 78,590 times
RENT!!! My wife and I are relocating to Alpharetta in a week and went through the same angst. We are renting a house in a good neighborhood for about $1300. Am I throwing away a little money in rent vs. principle....sure. But not really when you factor in the fact that if we bought a house, our mortgage would be more than $1300 and we would have to eat all the expenses associated with a house. What I am really buying when I rent is some TIME to make a better decision.

I agree that interest rates are likely to tick back up a bit, but the prices of houses are going nowhere. Home prices (even if slightly recently) are NOT GOING HOME. You will still be able to steal a great home a year from now......probably 4 years from now too. JMHO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta