U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,516,337 times

Advertisements

Friendships, like any relationship, are organic. You can't force them. I would venture to bet that once you land a job, you will develop friends and colleagues through the workplace. It's all about common interests and the situations you place yourself in but you can't keep everything to yourself. Let people know what's on your mind every now and then. Don't let the weekend get you down though! There are so many people out there that do absolutely nothing on weekends it's ridiculous. You're not alone there. Not by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 04:39 PM

18 posts, read 46,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcookie View Post
I had a Q about Chattahoochee tech, but since you didn't go there. . . Nevermind.
Yeah, sorry, and I don't know anyone there either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1
maybe once you find work you can make friends there. what kind of work are you looking for btw?
There's a thought, although I can't imagine my coworkers being my best buddies, even though I'm sure we'd go out for lunch and stuff. (That's what I've gleaned about work relationships from my part-time office job on campus, anyway.)

I'm looking for pretty much anything to do with programming -- with Java, Python (!!), or maybe something with webdev.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Friendships, like any relationship, are organic. You can't force them. I would venture to bet that once you land a job, you will develop friends and colleagues through the workplace. It's all about common interests and the situations you place yourself in but you can't keep everything to yourself. Let people know what's on your mind every now and then. Don't let the weekend get you down though! There are so many people out there that do absolutely nothing on weekends it's ridiculous. You're not alone there. Not by a long shot.
Thanks for the advice and the good stuff at the end .

This seems to be another vote for "work will help."

I'm feeling optimistic about meetup.com, too.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:34 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,989,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbackloop View Post
Yeah, sorry, and I don't know anyone there either!

There's a thought, although I can't imagine my coworkers being my best buddies, even though I'm sure we'd go out for lunch and stuff. (That's what I've gleaned about work relationships from my part-time office job on campus, anyway.)

I'm looking for pretty much anything to do with programming -- with Java, Python (!!), or maybe something with webdev.
I was in a similar situation where I never really made many friends at GT. My 1st yr I worked weekends so I didn't stick around the dorms. Then I transferred out for 3 yrs (got another degree) before coming back. My 2nd time around, I was doing a startup business w/ my brother and didn't live on campus so outside of a few group members I never socialized there. I run into people all the time now that were at GT the same time as me but I never met as a student.

If you're spending 40-50hrs/wk(or a lot more) w/ a group of people that are similar young professionals, you get to know each other pretty well. They don't have to be your best friends for life but it's a good way to meet people and get out here and there. If you have a lot of 12 hr days, drinking buddies shouldn't be that hard to find. The more you get out, the more people you meet and you establish a social circle for yourself. I'm 5 yrs out of GT now and I still keep in touch with my coworkers from my 1st job out of school.

As for the job front, did you do all the job fair events on campus? Those are generally your best shot at getting development jobs w/o significant experience. Applying around away from campus is tougher when there are a lot of people w/ yrs of experience not asking for much more than a fresh GT grad.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:23 PM

15 posts, read 68,142 times
What about volunteering? Hands On Atlanta maintains a database of volunteer opportunities based on interests and skills. Non-profits generally work on very small budgets; I'm sure you're computer skills would be much appreciated. I formerly ran a non-profit and volunteers created databases, basic programs and did our small-scale networking. All at their own convenience. It was awesome!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,265,737 times
Just join the military. You'll meet a huge number of people you'll wish you'd met sooner, along with even more people you'll wish you'd never met.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
I was in a similar situation where I never really made many friends at GT. My 1st yr I worked weekends so I didn't stick around the dorms. Then I transferred out for 3 yrs (got another degree) before coming back. My 2nd time around, I was doing a startup business w/ my brother and didn't live on campus so outside of a few group members I never socialized there. I run into people all the time now that were at GT the same time as me but I never met as a student.

If you're spending 40-50hrs/wk(or a lot more) w/ a group of people that are similar young professionals, you get to know each other pretty well. They don't have to be your best friends for life but it's a good way to meet people and get out here and there. If you have a lot of 12 hr days, drinking buddies shouldn't be that hard to find. The more you get out, the more people you meet and you establish a social circle for yourself. I'm 5 yrs out of GT now and I still keep in touch with my coworkers from my 1st job out of school.
Good to hear from someone coming from a similar place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap
As for the job front, did you do all the job fair events on campus? Those are generally your best shot at getting development jobs w/o significant experience. Applying around away from campus is tougher when there are a lot of people w/ yrs of experience not asking for much more than a fresh GT grad.
Oof, you think so? I used to, but then I felt like I was just walking around getting brochures, and then being told "Apply Online." All this while sweating in a suit in a packed room, just kind of bouncing around.

If you're right, that's a bit worrisome. There is CareerBuzz now, where companies post jobs, and you can just hit "Submit Resume" to apply and be done. However, I've gotten no response, so I'm thinking of applying to them more directly and thoroughly. (It's only been a few days, but I'm still pessimistic about applying online in general.)

Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolYourWay View Post
What about volunteering? Hands On Atlanta maintains a database of volunteer opportunities based on interests and skills. Non-profits generally work on very small budgets; I'm sure you're computer skills would be much appreciated. I formerly ran a non-profit and volunteers created databases, basic programs and did our small-scale networking. All at their own convenience. It was awesome!
I actually signed up for HOA last week, as well as Habitat for Humanity builds. However, I apparently immediately forgot about HOA, so thanks for the reminder .

The only tech thing I saw last time was something teaching computer skills to children, which sounded great, but was during the day when I work . I'll have to look for more. I'm also up for most anything else (outdoors work, food bank, etc), and they do seem to have a lot of projects. So anyone else reading this might look into this advice as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 AM

2,683 posts, read 5,197,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbackloop View Post

If you're right, that's a bit worrisome. There is CareerBuzz now, where companies post jobs, and you can just hit "Submit Resume" to apply and be done.
If you really need a job get more aggressive about where and how you look. Spend a half hour on an application if need be. Check out a few books on job hunting. Network.

As a society it will be interesting to see how today's kids age and how they adapt to a workplace where communication skills involve more then texting. At first glance it would seem some may not have the social and communication skills they need.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 AM

504 posts, read 1,337,292 times
I don't know if you're into games much (board, card etc.) but you could try hanging out in some of the game shops in the area. My old room-mate worked at a game shop and met a lot of friends by working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or