U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 PM

18 posts, read 45,070 times

Advertisements

So there it is.

I moved here four years ago from the Midwest, to go to Tech. I just graduated. The first three years, I was just pretty antisocial. This last year, I was more sociable, but I didn't want to form new bonds when I might be leaving Atlanta soon.

Enter now: I'm looking to settle in Atlanta, semi-permanently, as I look for jobs. Weekends, like this Friday night, are almost a thing of dread, because I have few friends to call, and don't know what to do with myself.

I tried parties in the past, but genuinely felt bored at them. I hear people go to bars, but I don't understand what people do in bars. I've sat at Rocky Mountain and Taco Mac, and it just seemed to be other people also just sitting there :P.

It's just that, I'm a pretty big introvert. I'm not even shy, just a bit reserved. But I'm friendly, and I'm just looking for some cool, sincere people to hang out with.

So to finally get to my question: What can I do? What are some places for a semi-"loner" to hang out at, and possibly meet people?
(... although I'm okay just having fun for the night, and not expecting to make more permanent friends.)

I know this isn't an unheard-of situation: College grads move to new cities and start fresh all the time. So what do they do?

Thanks everyone for any thoughts on this, and for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,618,227 times
Meetup has a variety of local groups to browse through: Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com

Old 05-22-2010, 01:03 AM

197 posts, read 429,579 times
Do you like doing outdoor stuff, like hiking? If so why not join something like the Atlanta Outdoor Club? They call themselves "an outdoor event-oriented social club". It's a good way to meet people that have a similar interest. There are also lots of other clubs like this one that cater to different interests. Just search around...

Atlanta Outdoor Club

Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 AM

66 posts, read 183,029 times
What Tech college did you go to?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:21 AM

18 posts, read 45,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Meetup has a variety of local groups to browse through: Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com
This has been fantastic, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcookie
What Tech college did you go to?
Georgia Tech - College of Computing
(aka, computer science)
Why do you ask??

Old 05-22-2010, 01:37 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,776,641 times
I know exactly where you are at (i used to move a lot)

Find interests. sadly unless you were born into it, you might have to spend some money to insert yourself into groups.

What i mean by that is for instance, car clubs.. gun clubs.. Tennis? Cycling? (we have FANTASTIC cycling clubs and events in the area) Etc etc. Find something that interests you and begin to mingle with the folk and build connections. As superficial as some events might be, nothing is instant anymore but you have to start somewhere and see what works and what doesn't.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 AM

128 posts, read 159,895 times
Bruh I understand your pain. Atlanta is really one of those cities where the true life of this town in all in your social networks. That is a great and not-so-great thing all at once. You could try all these social sites, but in the end Atl come alive via its people. Get out and see the city, and not just at night. Go out for a stroll along peachtree on a saturday afternoon. Go to piedmont park and chill out. Learn to play a musical instrument. Aha! theres a great idea. There are alot of talented musicians here in Atl, all from rappers to R&B vocalist, and hundreds of indie bands with hidden talent. That way, if u get into music, you can then go to Athens, Ga and really enjoy town.

If your already involved in music some sorta way, you should PM me. Im always lookin to colab with great musical minds.

Also, dont hesitate to meet and get to know people on this forum. There are some great people on city data.com

Old 05-22-2010, 09:20 AM

4,147 posts, read 5,750,387 times
I totally understand your plight....

Pretty much the same here minus certain portions.

I used to go to school during the daytime and I work the overnight shift during the week so I can't really hang out (9 pm to 5 am).

Now, with school out for the summer, when the weekend comes, I am bored out of my mind...

I would do more but I hate rolling solo...

Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 AM

66 posts, read 183,029 times
I had a Q about Chattahoochee tech, but since you didn't go there. . . Nevermind.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:55 AM
mb1

14 posts, read 37,432 times
maybe once you find work you can make friends there. what kind of work are you looking for btw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or