U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,322,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
I thought the same thing... since I been on here they fight against anything dealing with Atlanta.. You would think there was enough going on in the Texas boards. being there so many big cities there. But we always appreciate the love the texans give us when they visit our forum...

Shout out too JLuke Scarface713 Al green Spade and westbanknola ( not from Texas but he will ride or die with the texas posters.. These are the ones you will constantly see in Atlanta forum or any thread dealing with Atlanta.... I wonder why

DEAD. I am dying laughing over here. It turns into a bloodbath over in the City vs. City threads. I've fought the good fight myself many times. And when confronted, many of them try to play all coy and innocent as if they weren't the ones who stirred it up in the first place. I don't know why certain posters from there seem to almost enjoy trying to put Atlanta in it's place. I respect Dallas and Houston as regional powerhouses in the South and peers of Atlanta. Many of the Texan posters, particularly from Houston seem to be almost insulted that they are being compared to us. You'd think they'd be too busy fighting amongst themselves to waste their time on lil ol' Atlanta. But it's so nice to know we're thought of. Dogs don't bark at parked cars after all.

On that note...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,345,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
DEAD. I am dying laughing over here. It turns into a bloodbath over in the City vs. City threads. I've fought the good fight myself many times. And when confronted, many of them try to play all coy and innocent as if they weren't the ones who stirred it up in the first place. I don't know why certain posters from there seem to almost enjoy trying to put Atlanta in it's place. I respect Dallas and Houston as regional powerhouses in the South and peers of Atlanta. Many of the Texan posters, particularly from Houston seem to be almost insulted that they are being compared to us. You'd think they'd be too busy fighting amongst themselves to waste their time on lil ol' Atlanta. But it's so nice to know we're thought of. Dogs don't bark at parked cars after all.

On that note...
lol please say this isn't about me. c'mon grindin, you know good and well i've stood up for atlanta and came to its defense plenty of times.

sometimes i visit the atlanta forum. i've been to the city several times, love it, have family there, and know enough about it that i'm able to participate in several of the discussions. i don't come here looking to start stuff, people. GRINDIN...sir..every now and again i see your head pop up in the texas forums lol

Old 05-26-2010, 02:43 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,322,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
lol please say this isn't about me. c'mon grindin, you know good and well i've stood up for atlanta and came to its defense plenty of times.

sometimes i visit the atlanta forum. i've been to the city several times, love it, have family there, and know enough about it that i'm able to participate in several of the discussions. i don't come here looking to start stuff, people. GRINDIN...sir..every now and again i see your head pop up in the texas forums lol
Yes, you're pretty fair and even-handed about Atlanta, and it's appreciated Though the Texan in you won't let you come over ALL the way over to the dark side . I promise we aren't all crazy over here, Scout's Honor.

And yes, I do pop over to the Texas forums sometimes. Most of the posts there are pretty informative and I have expressed curiosity about moving to the state before and there is a large contingent of posters that are pretty knowledgeable and helpful and are eager to answer questions. Looks like if a move to DC doesn't happen, I may venture to the "dark side" myself, LOL.

But it's really the City vs City forums where the gloves come off and it turns into a bloodbath from time to time . I've come running and screaming from there with my tail between my legs and licking my wounds myself, but I've delivered a few pre-emptive strikes and and sent others running for the hills myself. Just another day on C-D.

Last edited by grindin; 05-26-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,345,980 times
Quote:
Yes, you're pretty fair and even-handed about Atlanta, and it's appreciated Though the Texan in you won't let you come over ALL the way over to the dark side . I promise we aren't all crazy over here, Scout's Honor.

And yes, I do pop over to the Texas forums sometimes. Most of the posts there are pretty informative and I have expressed curiosity about moving to the state before and there is a large contingent of posters that are pretty knowledgeable and helpful and are eager to answer questions. Looks like if a move to DC doesn't happen, I may venture to the "dark side" myself, LOL.

But it's really the City vs City forums where the gloves come off and it turns into a bloodbath from time to time . I've come running and screaming from there with my tail between my legs and licking my wounds myself, but I've delivered a few pre-emptive strikes and and sent others running for the hills myself. Just another day on C-D.
i am a proud texan, but it's that georgia/south carolina blood in my veins that allows me to side with atlanta sometimes ...and like i've said once or twice before, a move to atlanta is something i think about occasionally (usually when i'm sick of these furnace temps and short trees lol). but if i did ever come out there, you best believe i'm gonna have my gas guzzling suv with my texas decals and tags, blasting UGK while i'm doing 70 on 285 lol

Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM

213 posts, read 362,744 times
Quote:
did i miss something?
Al you never miss a beat

Old 05-26-2010, 03:41 PM

213 posts, read 362,744 times
Quote:

On that note...

LOL I dont have much experience on here but I have went to alot of threads and scene those particular names in every Atlanta thread... It could be Atlanta vs Hawaii and bam there they are.... They have more post in CIty vs City than any post in The texas forum... I know they wake up in the morning and say City data city data city data city data lol... Let me stop anyways I think that Charlotte and Atlanta are good places for him, I think Atlant aouwld be better if he is looking for more options for city activities

Old 05-26-2010, 05:45 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Quote:

HAHA.LOL(Simpsons)

Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 AM

5 posts, read 24,990 times
Oddly enough I have the same dilemma (except I'm 22, single, and have no kids). I've lived in Atlanta and love it (but that was from a college student in the city view). From a parent's view things that may not have been know are Atlanta's has the largest amount of child trafficking in the U.S. (last I heard), there's a lot of problems with staph infections among children (which is highest in Atlanta), and Georgia public schools aren't the best (in the city). On the plus side if you move to some place like Alpharetta which is more of the suburbs of Atlanta I think it's wonderful for children, there's a lot to do not only for children, but also for adults! A lot of cultural activities as well. The crime is about like any where else. And as a young black professional you'll be accepted with open arms! I don't know much about Charlotte though, but it seems about the same (just smaller).

If you're worried about jobs I suggest Arlington especially with a family. Arlington is growing rapidly and have plenty of jobs. If you go to Mansfield it's very family friendly and with the football stadium down the street it's growing fast!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 AM

0 posts, read 1,662 times
Although I've lived all over the U.S., I've lived in the city of Atlanta for 10 years and in the suburbs for 6. I've attended college, and have worked downtown utilizing mass transit every day for 5 years. I would argue that the city of Atlanta lacks diversity, unless you consider half poor black and half white upper class diverse. There is a cold war between the classes that stymies progress within the core and to the region. Atlanta is trying very hard to be a "black" destination rather than a destination for true diversity. Prepare to deal with racially charged city elections and to be profiled based on your skin color, not your character or qualifications. You're white or you're black, even if you're Asian or Indian. It's a trivial thing to be judged by, but it's the moral code in Atlanta. This applies to the courtroom, in public, at educational institutions and especially on transit. The suburbs to the NE however are more diverse. Gwinnett County has a prominent Asian, Latino, and Eurasian populace as well as white and black of varied income levels. Dekalb County to the east is also a fairly diverse area that attracts an international community. The more educated suburban areas such as Alpharetta, Duluth and East Cobb don't seem to have the black/white 5 mile mindset that I've experienced in the city. Atlanta has room for progress as far as diversity goes when compared to Kansas City, Denver and Cleveland.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
I live in Charlotte, originally from New York City. There really is nothing to do in Charlotte, I am 51 yrs old and is bored out of my mind. My 32 year old son hate to vist me here. There is little to no night life, not much culturally to do. I found that although people are friendly, the keep to themselves. As for the job market, IT SUCKS! After 9 years in Charlotte, Im leaving to go to Atlanta. Housing is great, for your price range you can get a great big house, however, Charlotte job market does not pay well. Jobs are hard to find. And, for the last 2 years, Charlotte have been laying off teachers. Schools are OK, but if you are not really ready to sit in your back yard and be still, Charlotte is not the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or