U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 AM

46 posts, read 191,959 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of your comments. All of you are right! We can be laid off at anytime. I have also seen people who were literally a year away from retirement to be laid off. I guess nothing is secure anymore. I will definately take all of your comments into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony200 View Post
I would like to get some opinions on this "work at will" doctrine. Is it true that they can fire you for any reason?
For many jobs, especially salaried positions, you can be fired for any reason regardless of the state in which you reside. All of my jobs in MN were like that, even hourly positions, and even though MN is decidedly a more union-friendly environment than GA.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,514,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony200 View Post
Thanks for all of your comments. All of you are right! We can be laid off at anytime. I have also seen people who were literally a year away from retirement to be laid off. I guess nothing is secure anymore. I will definately take all of your comments into consideration.
And to be fair, while I can sympathize with those people who fit the scenario you cite, how many times do key employees with a specific skill leave their job to take more money somewhere else? I know in the IT field this happened time and again in the 1990s and early 2000s. How often did IT Pros and devs jump ship for a few extra bucks or stock options? Often that leaves the employer in a bind and puts a project or team in a bind.

My point is it's a two way street. No one is guaranteed a job for life.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:22 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And to be fair, while I can sympathize with those people who fit the scenario you cite, how many times do key employees with a specific skill leave their job to take more money somewhere else? I know in the IT field this happened time and again in the 1990s and early 2000s. How often did IT Pros and devs jump ship for a few extra bucks or stock options? Often that leaves the employer in a bind and puts a project or team in a bind.

My point is it's a two way street. No one is guaranteed a job for life.
At this time, I'd be perfectly happy with a job that lasts long enough to let me fully recover from my last layoff. I've almost written off retirement at 65 at this point ... I'm 47 now, and 18 years isn't enough time.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 05-24-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM

126 posts, read 271,822 times
This may be slightly off-topic, but does it baffle anyone else how many sh*tty people/employees still have jobs in this economic climate? You would think that employers would use the recession as a way to attract some better talent while they got rid of poor performers. I continue to have less than favorable experiences with companies and their employees when I know there are more qualified people out there who can (and will!) do a much better job. I know there is the whole aspect of training, experience, etc, but it still baffles me how some people still have jobs.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
At this time, I'd be perfectly happy with a job that lasts long enough to let me fully recover from my last layoff.
Understood, and a layoff if never a nice or fun thing for anyone. As one who years ago was on both sides of the equation at different times, I know the pain for both the laid off and the person delivering the news. Many of you think it's fun and employers take glee at letting go their employees. Not the case for anyone with a shred of humanity.

Again, to get back on topic, "employment at will" is the law in all states, unless you belong to a collective bargaining agreement or have an employment contract with your employer. Not many people do, even in heavily unionized states.

When you work "at will" you may leave for a better opportunity, and your employer may let you go, and either may happen without any notice. It's customary to provide notice and severance, but not required. The best any of us can do is try to make ourselves indispensible and be good stewards of our finances when times are good. Planning for that rainy day can soften the blow, yet many people fail to plan, which as the cliche goes means they plan to fail.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:02 PM

3,492 posts, read 3,096,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akress View Post
I'm looking for some other opinions here. I really would like to get a good argument for why unions are needed or why they are a good thing overall.
I can only speak about the union my hubby works with, but our union is fantastic. Training programs, health benefits and pension fund are great. Hubby is union and a crew foreman for a major infrastructure contractor... and he will fire union people no problem if they don't do their job. Period. We work construction all over this country so we see a lot of different union hands wherever we go. I do know that many times we see the non-union contractors hiring illegals or non-skilled people, paying them little wages, the project is then behind, people are getting hurt, and next thing you know, our company gets called in to "fix" the situation. I realize these days its all about the mighty dollar, but sometimes it really is better to have "skilled" labor than cheap labor. Same as buying products from China just because it's cheap and then having to worry about what kind of dangerous substance your dealing with.

I'm not so blind as to believe that everything is 100% great in all unions, but in our case anyway, the pro's outweighs the cons, 3 to 1.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I can only speak about the union my hubby works with, but our union is fantastic. Training programs, health benefits and pension fund are great. Hubby is union and a crew foreman for a major infrastructure contractor... and he will fire union people no problem if they don't do their job. Period. We work construction all over this country so we see a lot of different union hands wherever we go. I do know that many times we see the non-union contractors hiring illegals or non-skilled people, paying them little wages, the project is then behind, people are getting hurt, and next thing you know, our company gets called in to "fix" the situation. I realize these days its all about the mighty dollar, but sometimes it really is better to have "skilled" labor than cheap labor. Same as buying products from China just because it's cheap and then having to worry about what kind of dangerous substance your dealing with.

I'm not so blind as to believe that everything is 100% great in all unions, but in our case anyway, the pro's outweighs the cons, 3 to 1.
Unions are often good for their members. What they are typically not as good for is the business their members depend on for their wages, or the taxpayers that support the public agency or government department for which the union members work.

While there are unions with hard workers who do their best for the business or government they work for, many times unions are all about preservation of jobs and enforcing a one size fits all mediocrity that often leads to a lack of competitive advantage. All you have to do is look at the auto manufacturers and the UAW for a text book case in point.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 AM

44 posts, read 251,827 times
Illinois is a work at will state, yes they can fire you but they have to pay your unemployment if you didn't get fire for standard reasons. Like being late all the time..fired for a good reason no unemployment..But boss didn't like the suit you were wearing and fired you..umemployment benefits can be fought for. The can't fire you for a policy that is not in writting without paying out your unemployment.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
ok ok ,, after reading this i have a question,,,
i was fired from my job on the 22nd of dec. they said that ga was a at will state and that they didnt have to tell my why,,, i later found out that i was fired over something i didnt do so in other words i was blamed for someons else mess up ,,, unemployment is ok well i have not gotten it yet but in the case that i do i will be loseing 800.00 from my reg pay a month ,, is there anything i can do about that seeing i was fired so no reason at all,,,,?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or