U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,430,359 times

Advertisements

This past Saturday me and a visiting guest took the MARTA train from Arts Center Station to Downtown (Peachtree Center Station).

The train that arrived for us was a long one with plenty of cars but we were unable to find a car that was not standing room only. We along with others had to stand all the way to Peachtree Station as all the seats were taken on this very spacious train.

Mind you this was just a typical Saturday around 6:00 pm with nothing really special taking place in town. I know MARTA is usually even busier on the weekdays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:57 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,231,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
This past Saturday me and a visiting guest took the MARTA train from Arts Center Station to Downtown (Peachtree Center Station).

The train that arrived for us was a long one with plenty of cars but we were unable to find a car that was not standing room only. We along with others had to stand all the way to Peachtree Station as all the seats were taken on this very spacious train.

Mind you this was just a typical Saturday around 6:00 pm with nothing really special taking place in town. I know MARTA is usually even busier on the weekdays.
Thank you for this.

For anyone else responding to this thread, disregard the title. It should instead read "How Widely Used Is Marta? Too bad there's no way for me to edit it now.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,966,544 times
The Marta was a big part of why I moved to Atlanta, basically I didnt want to do car fixes, payments, insurance, deal with other drivers etc etc, so I wanted to live in a city that was up to transit standard. I moved here alone & the attitude from the natives is they hate Marta. People are really inlove with automobile force. I dont understand them & they dont understand me. Im still looking to hang out with like minded people, I know they exist here, but it takes time. When I invite some people to meet me downtown its this hassle to get them on a train, and they consistently ask me "Why wont you just get a car?" Ive lost some Atl friends behind it.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:39 AM

213 posts, read 362,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
The Marta was a big part of why I moved to Atlanta, basically I didnt want to do car fixes, payments, insurance, deal with other drivers etc etc, so I wanted to live in a city that was up to transit standard. I moved here alone & the attitude from the natives is they hate Marta. People are really inlove with automobile force. I dont understand them & they dont understand me. Im still looking to hang out with like minded people, I know they exist here, but it takes time. When I invite some people to meet me downtown its this hassle to get them on a train, and they consistently ask me "Why wont you just get a car?" Ive lost some Atl friends behind it.

maybe you can hang out with me because I dont mind Marta its my way to getting to everything I need...

Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 AM

90 posts, read 276,974 times
I don't drive in Atlanta and use MARTA exclusively (unless I'm going out of town or whatever). Here's my two cents....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
1) Is MARTA safe?
Safety is a relative term. After using MARTA regularly for a year, I'd say it's just as safe as the public transportation systems I'm used to.

Quote:
2) Is MARTA reliable?
Well, ppl do call it FARTA. Compared to what I'm used to, the buses (and to a lesster extent, the trains) could be on schedule more often and come more frequently. I've definately had to get use to buses coming every 20-40 minutes as opposed to every 5-20 minutes.

Personally, I've made a habit of trying to get on the bus before the one I really need because that's how often I've had to deal with buses not coming on time. It's the best decision I've ever made.

Quote:
3) How comfortable are the MARTA trains?
The trains I've been on are clean, and so far, the temps inside have been quite comfortable regardless of the weather.

Quote:
4) Is there a problem with the people who ride on MARTA?
People with problems are everywhere and can look like anything. They even sit behind the wheel of the bus or train you're about to board. Personally, I don't let anyone prevent me from getting where I need to go without a good fight (verbal or otherwise), so I don't really understand this question. I mean, I do, but I don't. Know what I mean?

BUT.....

living just outside the perimeter and making regular trips from Five Points going north and Five Points going east, I haven't experienced any problems. However, I'm sure some people have.

Quote:
5) How does MARTA's future look?
Sorry, I don't see it getting any better than SF Bay Area public transportation or that in Mexico City (Yep, I said it - a third world country has a better public transportation system than Atlanta).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta