U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 19,808 times

Advertisements

Greetings, all
I'm moving back to Atlanta with my fiance after a year away (I used to live near Emory). I know generally about the area, but not the specifics of where I'd like to live: Doraville, within walking distance of the Marta station. From there I can take Marta into town for my job, and my fiance can take a bus out to Norcross for his. I'd settle for Chamblee, but it's more travel time for him. Can anyone tell me about specific apartment complexes around those, spots to avoid, etc? I'm thinking I'd like to either live in the northern part of Northwoods or in the neighborhood just west of the train line, outside the perimeter. Thoughts? I've felt safe and comfortable walking around Northwoods before, but the reviews on apartment complexes just outside the perimeter, southeast of Buford Highway, are pretty scary/discouraging (safety-wise but also maintenance-wise). Also, from looking online I can't find many houses for rent in Northwoods, though several are for sale. I'd welcome thoughts on the area around the Chamblee station, too, particularly the north part of Lawson Heights.

1. Budget: (renting) less than $1000ish including utilities. Some wiggle room.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Prefer house, apartment/condo/townhome would be fine. 2 bedrooms would be ideal.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home). Commuting. Have one car at this point, would prefer to use public transport for work commute. One of us is commuting downtown, the other to Norcross.
4. Children(public school vs. private) N/A
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- I just need to be able to see some trees.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Very. Doraville station within walking distance is preferable, but we might settle for Chamblee or someplace just outside the perimeter.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood- don't care so long as they're nice.
8. Airport access: Not particularly important.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,765,771 times
Look more towards Chamblee than Doraville, imo. The drive up to Norcross is a snap from there, as it's a reverse commute.

The neighborhoods and options for you are simply much nicer, safer, and well - prettier around Chamblee. There are a lot of new lofts directly across the street from the train station, and there are nice single-family neighborhoods right around the corner (Sexton Woods, Drew Valley).

Old 05-24-2010, 01:31 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,382,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Look more towards Chamblee than Doraville, imo. The drive up to Norcross is a snap from there, as it's a reverse commute.

The neighborhoods and options for you are simply much nicer, safer, and well - prettier around Chamblee. There are a lot of new lofts directly across the street from the train station, and there are nice single-family neighborhoods right around the corner (Sexton Woods, Drew Valley).
I agree with John.

I drove through the area across from the Chamblee library--there is a little park and there are some very nice homes, occasionally for rent, there. I'm not certain about how the noise from PDK affects this neighborhood but I'd look in that area.
This is a very diverse area and several neighbors remarked on my ethnicity--Caucasian--I'm not certain what that means but I'd do a lot of visiting properties before I made a decision.

I travel the Shallowford Rd part of Doraville frequently and I don't think you could find an apt that would match your criteria.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 PM

Thanks very much, that's really helpful

Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 PM

205 posts, read 596,954 times
Ashford Park has a Marta station nearby as does parts of Brookhaven. Both have some really cute areas. The commute will be closer for you, but as has been stated before heading to Norcross is a reverse commute.

There are also a number of condo/apartments near the Dunwoody Marta stop off Mt. Vernon. Again the commute is bit further out for your fiance, but definitely not dreadful.

If I were you I would check out the neighborhoods of the different areas you would consider and choose from there. When my husband and I were a young engaged couple, lifestyle of where we lived outweighed a less desirable area with a shorter commute.

You mentioned that you only have one car... if it is ok if one of you uses your car to get to work, I would let your fiance be the one to drive. Public transportation would be great for someone traveling to downtown or midtown on the Marta, but not as accessible for someone heading into a town like Norcross. Marta hasn't caught on as strongly with commuters the way it has in areas like DC, but with that said, I'd feel lot more comfortable taking the train to work than the Marta bus.

When you come for a visit, try to take a ride on both the train and the bus so that you know what you are committing yourself to for work transportation.

Good luck on your move!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 PM

222 posts, read 601,065 times
Default Police Officer's Opinion

Though I worked in Atlanta, I have lived in Chamblee for 35-years. I've seen it go from quaint, quiet, and sleepy, to gang-infested, trashy, and now back to hit & miss.

Peachtree Industrial Blvd., is having a bit of a rebirth. Lots of new housing; mostly upscale condos. However, my choice would be a house, in the older neighborhoods of Chamblee. Ones behind Chamblee Plaza, and behind the High Scool are still stable and safe.

Avoid Buford highway at all costs. From the city of Atlanta, all the way to Lake Lanier, it's a third world; Chamblee included. Now, if a bowl of Pho noodle soup, or a goat tongue taco is your thing, knock yourself out. Very likely, someone will do it for you, and take your wallet and vehicle. Not to mention, the drunk drivers, bad drivers, and those without a license nor insurance, you will risk your life encountering.

Stick to PBI, and the older Chamblee neighborhoods north of it, and you can find a sturdy little home, with a fairly safe surrounding.

Hope this helps...

Old 05-31-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks for your input, everyone

Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 PM

7 posts, read 12,232 times
I own a home in Doraville and know the area well. Yes, we really lack for quality apartments, and if we DID have them, they would most likely be well above your budget.

I have seen a couple homes in the Northwoods area for rent. Don't know the prices of them, but would be happy to see if they are something that would work for you.

Feel free to contact me at thomandrayteam@yahoo.com

Thom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or