U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,928,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
NO, i said POP rap/r&b (most of which is connected to the south movement), but not urban music in general. there are still plenty of artists with little to no connection to atlanta who are thriving right now. you and tonygeorgia seem to be arguing what city has the most popular scene right now, but that was not the topic of the thread. the topic was generally which city (between atlanta and los angeles) was the best city that offered the most opportunities in the rap/r&b field. i said atlanta, but OVERALL the answer is new york. this is not a discussion about which city has the most singles in rotation

and you seem to be throwing around the word "talent" pretty leniently, but let's be clear: because atlanta has so much pull in the industry, they're able to put their own artists on. but most of what comes out of that city is anything but true talent.
I have to agree with you. Atlanta has a lot of spin right now!!! But with dwindling albums sales dont think that will be the case for much longer. Everything has its rotation. Most artists are doing the indie route anyway. These "labels" based here still need a major label to push their "artists" and all none of the majors are based here.

To the poster that said Soulja Boy went Plat he had plat singles/ringtones not albums in that case I can name plenty of artists that did that. You should scratch him off your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:03 PM

7,805 posts, read 11,771,683 times
Quote:
NO, i said POP rap/r&b (most of which is connected to the south movement), but not urban music in general. there are still plenty of artists with little to no connection to atlanta who are thriving right now. you and tonygeorgia seem to be arguing what city has the most popular scene right now, but that was not the topic of the thread. the topic was generally which city (between atlanta and los angeles) was the best city that offered the most opportunities in the rap/r&b field. i said atlanta, but OVERALL the answer is new york. this is not a discussion about which city has the most singles in rotation

and you seem to be throwing around the word "talent" pretty leniently, but let's be clear: because atlanta has so much pull in the industry, they're able to put their own artists on. but most of what comes out of that city is anything but true talent.

Who are these artists?

Personally, I like late 80s/early 90s stuff myself and can't really stand what's popular today for the most part. That doesn't change the fact that what is popular today is what is popular today. New York is not the place that is making the popular music right now. That's just the way it is.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
and that's another point!.....even in the days when atlanta is more popular, new york is still pushing out artists of greater quality and substance
That's a personal opinion. The music industry is a money making business that follows what makes money, not what people consider to be "greater quality and substance". Heck, if this was a "quality" argument, then Motown and the old 70s/80s Ohio scene trumps everything made since. Times change though. New York is still a hot place for R&B and hip-hop, but Atlatna is where it is at now regardless of where anyone thinks it should be.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:18 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,368,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Who are these artists?

Personally, I like late 80s/early 90s stuff myself and can't really stand what's popular today for the most part. That doesn't change the fact that what is popular today is what is popular today. New York is not the place that is making the popular music right now. That's just the way it is.
just because a city is very popular and the mainstream charts does not mean that is the city where the most opportunities are available. i don't know how you keep confusing the two

*edit* by "late 80s/early 90s" i'm assuming you mean new jack swing?...yyyuck lol

Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 PM

12,974 posts, read 21,083,337 times
The later posts on this thread are showing that this is becoming a "musical taste" issue--and that is clouding the true substance of this thread...which is:

Which city said would have the most opportunities for working in R+B/Hip-Hop? (Not which region or city is producing the type of R+B/Hip-Hop I like best?)

Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 PM

311 posts, read 725,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Good luck getting a job at any of the above listed. The only people on those labels getting paid is TI and Luda. These are nothing more than a clique not an actual business. They really dont have any real artists and the artist they do have are signed to these labels and arent putting out any music other than mixed tapes and ***maybe** guest appearances on their albums. These artists themselves are signed to Def Jam (luda) and Atlantic(TI) neither that are based here in Atl.
Yeah lol but that's with any label .. try working at a Major record label in NYC and trying to survive in that city with the welfare salary they give entry level people.Looking at executives come in every day with a new gift on their desk some club owner gave them and then fetching them a salmon salad from the trendy restaurant on Times Square next door while you're eating a peanut butter sandwich at your desk. Which might be your only meal of the day if you can't afford some ramen noodles in your neighborhood store ... .....at least in ATL you can still make diddly but have a better standard of living is all I'm saying.Plus there are lots of people "signed" with major labels who never get to see the light of day...Katy Perry and Neyo were prime examples until they just got lucky

besides major labels don't really do much but distribute music and promote/market...which is great but with the way internet is going, you could do the same thing with an Itunes account and a popular Myspace and/or Youtube page... that's how Cassie and Justin Bieber were discovered...pretty soon I'm not sure if labels will even be needed. I know labels give advances to artists for their projects but even then an artist could raise more money from concerts and advertising if they saved their money over time.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,928,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
besides major labels don't really do much but distribute music and promote/market...which is great but with the way internet is going, you could do the same thing with an Itunes account and a popular Myspace and/or Youtube page... that's how Cassie and Justin Bieber were discovered...pretty soon I'm not sure if labels will even be needed. I know labels give advances to artists for their projects but even then an artist could raise more money from concerts and advertising if they saved their money over time.
All very true but with this part here then it wouldnt be apoint for the OP to move here trying to make it big. stick with the indie route hope for the best.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradjdavis View Post
Hello, I'm a musician, composer and music producer. My primary music and market is mainstream r & b/pop and hip hop, my focus will be writing and recording with artist in the studio and getting music published. I'm planning to move to either Los Angeles or Atlanta to establish myself in the music industry. Which city do you feel will be the most beneficial, productive and provide the most opportunity?

I Recommend Georgia.
In L.A People Are Friendly, But Not Nice.
Personally, I Think It's Better In Georgia.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,424,382 times
Quote:
and that's another point!.....even in the days when atlanta is more popular, new york is still pushing out artists of greater quality and substance

Our artist are way better than Texas artist.

I see Atlanta is the Hip Hop Capital, nobody has came in here and disputed the facts to those questions.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
just because a city is very popular and the mainstream charts does not mean that is the city where the most opportunities are available. i don't know how you keep confusing the two

*edit* by "late 80s/early 90s" i'm assuming you mean new jack swing?...yyyuck lol
PUHLEASE! Guy would murder any of these so called R&B artists these days with their talent. Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta