Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
out of the two cities, yes...but overall, no. new york is still and will likely always be that city.

even many of the major record labels and producers have their parent companies in NY
I disagree. More artist have blew up out of Atlanta in the past several years verses artist from Ny. You may have been right back in the 80s and early 90's but this is a different era now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I disagree. More artist have blew up out of Atlanta in the past several years verses artist from Ny. You may have been right back in the 80s and early 90's but this is a different era now
no, sir. we're not talking about which city has the most popular regional scene. yes atlanta is dominating and doing major things, but new york is still the mother ship for popular urban music. despite the fact that their regional scene isn't as popular anymore

if i tell someone that i want to be a world famous r&b artist, and they tell me to choose between a plane ticket to new york or atlanta, i'm definitely heading to new york

but since we're discussing atlanta vs. los angeles, then of course it's the A

Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 PM

311 posts, read 843,758 times
Quote:
out of the two cities, yes...but overall, no. new york is still and will likely always be that city.

even many of the major record labels and producers have their parent companies in NY
NYC is def that city in terms of the music business itself...for example if he wanted to work as a marketing or promotions exec, I'd say go for it if he can afford the high standard of living and not expect a nice decent salary for awhile while trying to obtain that coveted position.......then again he could work at any of the numerous smaller/indie labels in ATL like DTP or Grand Hustle or a studio where you might make less but at least you'll be able to survive.

I think in terms of creating music, ATL is the most ideal city for performers, producers, etc due to the lower cost of living, studio-time, and even booking venues as well...also numerous A&R/execs people visit ATL on a regular basis just to visit, hang out, come to a party/event, or do business....besides if you ever want to talk to a music exec in NYC (or LA) you can simply fly out instead of spending 1300+ a month on rent just to live there or live with 4 roommates who might find it annoying that you play music at 12 AM in the morning...Anyways, if you're good and your buzz is big enough, they'll have no prob seeing an out-of towner

Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
mmm that's exaggerating a tad bit, but for the most part you're right

not to mention that many of "atlanta's" artists and producers aren't even originally from there. so the city serves as more of an crossroads or meeting place for the top urban mainstream artists. but when it comes to the city with the most POWER in this industry, i'm sure that title will always be held by new york city

Why should the bolded matter? Besides, that's not exactly true. Sure, Ludacris and Justin Bieber aren't from here, but most of the big name and lower one hit artists are from here or at least spent a good chunk of their life here. And those that didn't specifically relocated here to work in the industry.

Moving back to the topic at hand for the OP, Atlanta is the center of the universe when it comes to R&B and Hip-Hop production and talent, and it is slowly taking over the pop world too. Just look at the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100:

1. OMG - Usher (Native Atlantan)
2. California Gurls - Katie Perry
3. Airplanes - B.O.B (Native Atlantan)
4. Nothing On You - B.O.B (Native Atlantan)
5. Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz and Ludacris (Atlanta transplant and Production team)
6. Not Afraid - Eminem
7. Your Love is My Drug - Kesha
8. Alejandro - Lady GaGa
9. Rude Boy - Rhianna
10. Hey, Soul Sister - Train

The R&B and Hip-Hop charts are even more dominated by Atlanta artists, but having four of the top 10 pop songs in the country produced by Atlanta artists and production is no mistake. This is the place to be for music right now because the pubic clamours for that unique sound that orginates from here. It's the modern day Motown.

However, that also means there is a lot competition which I'm sure you are aware of. You will have to start at the bottom and claw your way up. The benefit that Atlanta has over L.A. though is that the industry and artists here aren't as pretentious. If your music is good, then you can work your way into the biz through the connections you make just from going to shows and getting your name out there.

Last edited by waronxmas; 05-25-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Very true. The music coming out of Atlanta is what's popular now. In the 90s, it was definitely New York or LA at the top of the R&B and Hip-hop world. However, the scenes in both cities got caught in things unrelated to music (which is why people are interested in them in the first place) and the Atlanta scene took advantage of that. Like my post before, just look at the dominance of Atlanta in the following charts:

Top 10 Hip-Hop songs according to Billboard

1. Nothing On You - B.O.B (Native Atlantan)
2. Over - Drake
3. My Chick Bad - Ludacris (Atlanta Transplant)
4. Say Something - Timbaland and Drake
5. Lose my Mind - Young Jeezy (Native Atlantan)
6. All I do is Win - DJ Khaled ft. T-Pain, Ludacris and Rick Ross (Atlanta artitsts and production team)
7. I'm Back - T.I. (Native Atlantan)
8. Beamer, Benz or Bentley - Lloyd Banks
9. Roger That - Young Money
10. Airplanes - B.O.B (Native Atlantan)

Top 10 R&B songs according to Billboard

1. Un-Thinkable - Alicia Keys
2. Over - Drake
4. Everything to Me - Monica (Native Atlantan)
5. Nothing On You - B.O.B (Native Atlantan)
6. Rude Boy - Rhianna
7. Neighbors Know My Name - Trey Songz (Atlanta production team)
8. Lil Freak - Usher (Native Atlantan)
9. There Goes My Baby - Usher (Native Atlantan)
10. Hey Daddy - Usher (Native Atlantan)

So for those keeping count, on the Hip-hop charts:

Atlanta hitst - 6
New York hits - 1

On the R&B Charts:

Atlanta hits - 7
New York hits - 1

This is no fluke, it has been like this for quite some time now. New York has a great history of making good music, but right now they only have 2 or 3 artists even capable of having a hit.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Why should the bolded matter? Besides, that's not exactly true. Sure, Ludacris and Justin Bieber aren't from here, but most of the big name and lower one hit artists are from here or at least spent a good chunk of their life here. And those that didn't specifically relocated here to work in the industry.
okay? i didn't say all or most, i said many, and that is the case
Quote:
Moving back to the topic at hand for the OP, Atlanta is the center of the universe when it comes to R&B and Hip-Hop production and talent, and it is slowly taking over the pop world too. Just look at the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100:

5. Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz and Ludacris (Atlanta transplant and Production team)
6. Not Afraid - Eminem
8. Alejandro - Lady GaGa
9. Rude Boy - Rhianna

The R&B and Hip-Hop charts are even more dominated by Atlanta artists, but having four of the top 10 pop songs in the country produced by Atlanta artists and production is no mistake. This is the place to be for music right now because the pubic clamours for that unique sound that orginates from here. It's the modern day Motown.

However, that also means there is a lot competition which I'm sure you are aware of. You will have to start at the bottom and claw your way up. The benefit that Atlanta has over L.A. though is that the industry and artists here aren't as pretentious. If your music is good, then you can work your way into the biz through the connections you make just from going to shows and getting your name out there.
mainstream pop-rap/r&b, sure. much of which is attached to the popularity of southern hip-hop/beats. but atlanta is NOT the center of the universe for this industry overall. there are plenty of successful urban artists who are making music and aren't going thru atlanta (come to think of it, some of my favorite artists probably don't even record in atlanta or work with atlanta producers)...however, it's safe to say that every major artist in this industry is connected to new york

def jam, laface/arista, atlantic, columbia, media moguls jay-z, diddy, russell simmons, l.a. reid, etc.....all out of new york and without a doubt have the most control over urban music

no one can deny the fact that atlanta is HUGE in this industry, but center of the industry it is not

Old 05-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
NYC is def that city in terms of the music business itself...for example if he wanted to work as a marketing or promotions exec, I'd say go for it if he can afford the high standard of living and not expect a nice decent salary for awhile while trying to obtain that coveted position.......then again he could work at any of the numerous smaller/indie labels in ATL like DTP or Grand Hustle or a studio where you might make less but at least you'll be able to survive.

I think in terms of creating music, ATL is the most ideal city for performers, producers, etc due to the lower cost of living, studio-time, and even booking venues as well...also numerous A&R/execs people visit ATL on a regular basis just to visit, hang out, come to a party/event, or do business....besides if you ever want to talk to a music exec in NYC (or LA) you can simply fly out instead of spending 1300+ a month on rent just to live there or live with 4 roommates who might find it annoying that you play music at 12 AM in the morning...Anyways, if you're good and your buzz is big enough, they'll have no prob seeing an out-of towner
this makes sense, and that's something i can definitely agree with wholeheartedly

Old 05-25-2010, 02:39 PM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:

6. Not Afraid - Eminem
8. Alejandro - Lady GaGa
9. Rude Boy - Rhianna

Actually, Ludacris moved to Atlanta when he was nine (this can just about qualify for "native" in the Atlanta sense).

He grew up in suburban South Fulton (middle-class) and graduated from Banneker High.

Those in the know remember when he was an intern/DJ on Hot 97.5 (now Hot 107.9) in the mid/late 90's known as "Chris Luvah-Luvah" (sp?).

Ludacris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2010, 02:42 PM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Very true. The music coming out of Atlanta is what's popular now. In the 90s, it was definitely New York or LA at the top of the R&B and Hip-hop world. However, the scenes in both cities got caught in things unrelated to music (which is why people are interested in them in the first place) and the Atlanta scene took advantage of that. Like my post before, just look at the dominance of Atlanta in the following charts:

Top 10 Hip-Hop songs according to Billboard

1. Nothing On You - B.O.B (Native Atlantan)
2. Over - Drake
4. Say Something - Timbaland and Drake
5. Lose my Mind - Young Jeezy (Native Atlantan)
6. All I do is Win - DJ Khaled ft. T-Pain, Ludacris and Rick Ross (Atlanta artitsts and production team)
7. I'm Back - T.I. (Native Atlantan)
8. Beamer, Benz or Bentley - Lloyd Banks
9. Roger That - Young Money
10. Airplanes - B.O.B (Native Atlantan)

Top 10 R&B songs according to Billboard

1. Un-Thinkable - Alicia Keys
2. Over - Drake
4. Everything to Me - Monica (Native Atlantan)
5. Nothing On You - B.O.B (Native Atlantan)
6. Rude Boy - Rhianna
7. Neighbors Know My Name - Trey Songz (Atlanta production team)
8. Lil Freak - Usher (Native Atlantan)
9. There Goes My Baby - Usher (Native Atlantan)
10. Hey Daddy - Usher (Native Atlantan)

So for those keeping count, on the Hip-hop charts:

Atlanta hitst - 6
New York hits - 1

On the R&B Charts:

Atlanta hits - 7
New York hits - 1

This is no fluke, it has been like this for quite some time now. New York has a great history of making good music, but right now they only have 2 or 3 artists even capable of having a hit.

Doesn't Drake reside in Atlanta now??? I thought I heard this somewhere. Anyone know the real deal?

Last edited by aries4118; 05-25-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Doesn't Drake reside in Atlanta now??? I thought I heard this somewhere. Anyone know the real deal?

I thought so too. Wouldn't be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta