U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 06-15-2007, 05:05 PM
 
15 posts, read 44,924 times
Reputation: 15
Default They say the cost of living is cheaper in ATL but...

I only see the housing cheaper. What are the other cost benefits?
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 06-15-2007, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Allen, Texas
670 posts, read 1,872,545 times
Reputation: 187
Cheaper than where? Cheaper than San Diego yes. My cousin is finding it cheaper than post-Katrina Southern Louisiana. But we have found Georgia more expensive than DFW in groceries (although this could be because of gas prices--i.e., it costs more to transport things), auto insurance, and home cose. The only thing that has been less for us was electricity--not kw cost, but that it isn't as extreme temperature wise.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-15-2007, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Buford, GA
138 posts, read 375,085 times
Reputation: 27
Cheaper than California, Arizona, Chicago, New York, Boston, Washington...

The list is pretty long. I saw a little townhouse in Chicago go for 3/4 of a million dollars. That is insane.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-15-2007, 08:58 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,093 posts, read 19,500,351 times
Reputation: 4560
Real estate is cheaper (so far but it's creeping up). Stuff like car insurance MAY be cheaper depending on where you are. Some utilities are cheaper. Groceries are about the same.

The thing is, payscales are typically lower here in a lot of areas than they are up North or out West, so sometimes it just evens out. There was also an article on the news not long ago that said for the first time some study was done where they factored in the cost of driving and commuting in cities - time, gas prices, insurance, traffic, etc.. and once they did all of that, San Fran was the most expensive city, and Atlanta came in second!
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-15-2007, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Douglasville, GA
641 posts, read 1,315,449 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
Cheaper than California, Arizona, Chicago, New York, Boston, Washington...

The list is pretty long. I saw a little townhouse in Chicago go for 3/4 of a million dollars. That is insane.
Yeah but still the point of the OP remains. It's housing and basically about just that. But that is a big one and the biggest draw for so many.

Groceries seem more expensive than the NE and gas is definitely more costly in spite od having to do it yourself. My car insurance did go down in cost but maybe not as much as I expected.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-16-2007, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Buford, GA
138 posts, read 375,085 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Yeah but still the point of the OP remains. It's housing and basically about just that. But that is a big one and the biggest draw for so many.

Groceries seem more expensive than the NE and gas is definitely more costly in spite od having to do it yourself. My car insurance did go down in cost but maybe not as much as I expected.
Gas is more expensive than where? I had always thought we were cheaper than other major metropolitan areas...

Groceries can definitely be expensive, especially if you shop at Whole Foods.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-16-2007, 12:35 PM
 
Location: NE Georgia
2,770 posts, read 6,326,926 times
Reputation: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
Gas is more expensive than where? I had always thought we were cheaper than other major metropolitan areas...

Groceries can definitely be expensive, especially if you shop at Whole Foods.
Gas in Georgia is a funny item.
The higher cost than other states/metro areas is only due to one thing. Gouging!

Georgia, outside of New Jersey has the lowest gas tax rate in the nation, however, during my travels this week I found Georgia on average 15-20 cents per gallon higher than South Carolina and North Carolina. North Carolina is the biggest surprise considering their state gas tax is 20 cents more per gallon than Georgia.

Good example of my travel last week from Raleigh. Paid $2.73 to fill up in NC.
Stopped in SC for the old relief break just south of Greenville, SC. Gas was $2.76 (no need to fill due to my good MPG).
Crossed in Georgia and a major wreck (what else is new) had 85 south backed up for miles so I hopped off at Commerce and took 441 to 15.
Gas at Exit 149 was $2.91 per gallon! Actually passed a station in Commerce downtown area that was $3.40 per gallon. Today, gas is $2.91 in the MOG and Dacula areas.

Again, with the taxation. The only place in America where gas should be cheaper is New Jersey.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-16-2007, 01:11 PM
 
9,125 posts, read 21,353,019 times
Reputation: 3262
I was in Atlanta yesterday, and gas was around $0.10/gallon higher than in NJ- not exactly what I'd consider a "huge" difference.

Bob
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-16-2007, 01:42 PM
 
Location: NY to FL to ATL
612 posts, read 1,810,876 times
Reputation: 208
I was shocked to pay more for gas in Georgia this week than I did driving all the way south to Miami. I always thought it was cheaper here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-16-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Forsyth County
88 posts, read 335,890 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Cheaper than where? Cheaper than San Diego yes. My cousin is finding it cheaper than post-Katrina Southern Louisiana. But we have found Georgia more expensive than DFW in groceries (although this could be because of gas prices--i.e., it costs more to transport things), auto insurance, and home cose. The only thing that has been less for us was electricity--not kw cost, but that it isn't as extreme temperature wise.
Oh totally. We moved from Dallas and thought that we would be able to get our house in Dallas plus a basement here. Ha! Ha! We ended up spending way more than we planned. I think when my husband's company figured it out, Atlanta was 20% more than Dallas. It used to be very affordable (pre 2001) but prices have really gone up since then.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top