Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 19,804 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a farm in the Atlanta Metro area that have organic chickens, eggs, etc for sale/consumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,258,162 times
"Organic" and "free range" chicken is not that hard to find -- you can find it at Whole Foods. True, pastured chicken (where chickens are raised outside and can scratch around in the grass and just be feed supplemental grain feed) is extremely hard to find. Since I've switched to eating only pastured meat, eggs, and dairy, I have cut way back on meat consumption (not necessarily a bad thing). I had my first pastured chicken a week or so ago. It came from Darby Farm and I bought it at the Decatur Organic Farmer's Market (the Wednesday one in the Bank of America parking lot at Commerce and Church Streets). Unfortunately, Darby Farm only comes to the market when they have chickens available, which is not terribly often (they've only been the one time so far this year). They also offer heritage turkeys at Thanksgiving, but I believe you would have to have already put a deposit down for this year (and they are stunningly expensive -- although certainly worth it).

I know that the Peachtree Road Farmer's Market does not have poultry (although one of their farmers, Country Gardens Farm and Nursery - Newnan Georgia - Sharpsburg - Peachtree City - Coweta County - Fayette County - Meriwether County does offer pastured poultry for sale at the farm -- but it's in Newnan).

There are a number of other pastured poultry producers but the demand greatly exceeds the supply at this point so getting any of their birds is difficult. Nature's Harmony Home Page - Georgia Sustainable Pasture Based Farm in Elberton has a meat CSA including poultry, but it's wait-listed.

Dairy and eggs are much easier to come by. You can get pastured eggs at most of the local farmer's markets (Decatur, East Atlanta, Peachtree Road, etc.). Milk too (mostly pasturized but raw milk is available in some locations).

FYI, grass-fed beef and pork is also much easier to come by at the markets than chicken. The industrial chicken farming system has too much of a stranglehold on Georgia (it's the #1 agricultural activity in the state) and finding chicken farmers who are willing and able to produce chickens on pasture rather than in houses is nearly impossible.

If you find any other good places, please DM me and let me know! I've become quite a food fanatic and am constantly looking for good places to buy "real" food.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 AM

906 posts, read 1,739,171 times
Contact the good people at Moore Farms:

- Moore Farms and Friends

They often sell local, organic chickens. And if not, they'll know which farmers in the area are raising them.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,952 times
Default Farmer delivers in Atlanta metro area

Check out carltonfarm.com for delivery locations and products.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:26 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,961,418 times
It's also legal in the city and many other jurisdictions to raise your own chickens--for eggs or meat. Farmer D organics on Cheshire Bridge can help you out there.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:07 PM

84 posts, read 105,078 times
Yep, in your own backyard That's becoming the way to really trust your meat.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,408,789 times
Did you know? Georgia is the largest producer of poultry in the nation. You're in the right place if you love chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta