U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 PM
 
48 posts, read 129,999 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

I quote from another site:
Dear fellow parents,

My son had attended a local private school (Paideia) for about 4 years when we decided the budget said it was time to try a public school. We were wrong. At this school being a... freshman of only five foot six my son was picked on and made immediate enemies with three different gangs of boys by refusing to buy weed. He was also threatened twice in his first three and a half weeks to be in a knife fight with some of the other hoodlum attendees. We had to pull him out after that. This is a unsafe school...

And....2 more....

I attend Grady High School and I am telling this to all viewers. Grady High School is TERRIBLE, someone was recently jumped with a bloody nose but didn't even call the ambulance to send this person to the hospital. I HATE, hate may be a strong word, but I HATE this school and I'm transferring out. Parents do not send your child to this school. The school safety DONT do their job. They are only worrying about making friends with the student. Tell you the truth I would want to make friend with student also because these student are RIDICULOUS. There were multiple times where school safety, deans, and teachers were injured by these student.

(other)
Mar 25, 2009
"From my experience as someone who lives and works in the neighborhood by Grady, I must say that Grady kids have no respect for the people, homes and cars near their school. They are disrespectful to neighborhood residents, hide their personal items on people's property, trespass, throw garbage cans, throw garbage, damage property, fight in the streets, disrespect the police.....I COULD GO ON. School safety needs to worry less about shmoozing and making friends with the students and do their jobs. If you send your child there....PLEASE make sure that they respect the neighborhood that they walk through."

This doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling about Grady High School, now does it?
And where are the good high schools you speak of that are a easy commute to downtown Atlanta?

Not to be cantankerous, but I just feel that finding a good place to live with great schools, shouldn't really be this difficult. But, for some reason, it is in Atlanta. When I moved to New York, it was hard to choose which village to live in because they were all so nice and all the schools were great. I guess it is especially frustrating for me, because I am actually a southerner living in the NE who thought she wanted to come home. I am disappointed in what I find.... I guess I was hoping for more. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:17 PM
 
2,677 posts, read 5,073,877 times
Reputation: 915
To be fair, its easy with the internet to just pick the negative comments and ignore the positive ones But that wouldn't give you a clear picture. I could find negative comments about the East Cobb schools also but that doesn't make them bad schools.

High school students not having respect for elders in the eyes of some, that happens all over last time I checked.



Quote:
Originally Posted by painter62 View Post
I quote from another site:
Dear fellow parents,

My son had attended a local private school (Paideia) for about 4 years when we decided the budget said it was time to try a public school. We were wrong. At this school being a... freshman of only five foot six my son was picked on and made immediate enemies with three different gangs of boys by refusing to buy weed. He was also threatened twice in his first three and a half weeks to be in a knife fight with some of the other hoodlum attendees. We had to pull him out after that. This is a unsafe school...

And....2 more....

I attend Grady High School and I am telling this to all viewers. Grady High School is TERRIBLE, someone was recently jumped with a bloody nose but didn't even call the ambulance to send this person to the hospital. I HATE, hate may be a strong word, but I HATE this school and I'm transferring out. Parents do not send your child to this school. The school safety DONT do their job. They are only worrying about making friends with the student. Tell you the truth I would want to make friend with student also because these student are RIDICULOUS. There were multiple times where school safety, deans, and teachers were injured by these student.

(other)
Mar 25, 2009
"From my experience as someone who lives and works in the neighborhood by Grady, I must say that Grady kids have no respect for the people, homes and cars near their school. They are disrespectful to neighborhood residents, hide their personal items on people's property, trespass, throw garbage cans, throw garbage, damage property, fight in the streets, disrespect the police.....I COULD GO ON. School safety needs to worry less about shmoozing and making friends with the students and do their jobs. If you send your child there....PLEASE make sure that they respect the neighborhood that they walk through."

This doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling about Grady High School, now does it?
And where are the good high schools you speak of that are a easy commute to downtown Atlanta?

Not to be cantankerous, but I just feel that finding a good place to live with great schools, shouldn't really be this difficult. But, for some reason, it is in Atlanta. When I moved to New York, it was hard to choose which village to live in because they were all so nice and all the schools were great. I guess it is especially frustrating for me, because I am actually a southerner living in the NE who thought she wanted to come home. I am disappointed in what I find.... I guess I was hoping for more. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:25 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,110,748 times
Reputation: 3519
Look- you're moving into a part of the city where the high schools pull students from multiple middle schools, so you're going to get some bad seeds. That's just a fact, which you can't change.

As Noah said above, you can find negative comments on any school if you look for them, and how do you know that what you're reading is 100% accurate?

If you want to minimize the issues your kids have to deal with, you're going to have to head to some of the more suburban areas that don't draw from such varied clusters of students. That doesn't mean those schools are squeaky clean, but they may have less of the issues you're concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
 
213 posts, read 362,799 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter62 View Post
When my son heard we were moving to Atlanta, the first thing he said to me was, "please don't send me to a school where they bring guns and knives to school." I promised him I wouldn't. "I would never do that", was my response. Wellllllll......I never imagined I would actually be in a situation where violence is something I am supposed to get comfortable with? I won't even let him play violent video games! What do I say now?
How can anyone be comfortable with violence? How do I explain metal detectors to him now after my promise? You say that Grady is the best public high school in Atlanta. But, where does the bar begin/start? What does that mean? Are the other APSs awful, and Grady better than awful? If your kids are coming from a top high school in a very safe area outside of New York City, is Grady in that comfort level? How many Grady kids go on to top colleges or to college at all? Comments like "I don't see anything wrong with Grady" to me means, "it is not really up to par, that it is just average". I want my kids to go to great schools, not schools that someone doesn't see anything wrong with. What kind of a recommendation is that?
So, from these comments, I am assuming the "Grady cluster" doesn't really include Grady when people are referring to it? People should really state that. Because saying the Grady cluster is "great", but then saying that Grady is "not that bad", is not being honest.
In addition, how can I visit a school that is already out for the summer? Not possible.
This whole Atlanta school thing is very frustrating. What I can gather from this board and all the posts is that the only really, really good high schools are Walton, Pope, and Lassiter or private school. That is kind of sad for a city the size of Atlanta. And, not to offend anyone, but I have no interest in living in East Cobb county. I apologize for my rant but I am agonizing over this!
And to add, if to get a great education in Atlanta, you have to send your child to private school, then the "you get more for your money" thing doesn't ring true now, does it? That is $20,000 per child.
columbine High school was a great school Until someone decided to shoot the place up.. But that can happen at any school... No matter how safe the schools record may be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
 
48 posts, read 129,999 times
Reputation: 37
I understand about picking out negative and positive comments. I fully expect "this teacher was bad" or "that teacher was great". But, when you are talking knives and bloody noses...then it is different. I am not trying to get people angry here, really. I am just trying to get more information because I truly am confused.
I just get so many different responses from this site, greatschools.org site and other educational sites.
I was hoping to get in a good place with my original decision. I didn't want to have to move my son twice.
Are there any actual Grady parents on this board? I would love to hear from them.
I really want to support the local public schools and and worried that I might have to go the private route.
Oh well....I am sorry. Forget I asked. And, thanks for all the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:37 PM
 
213 posts, read 362,799 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter62 View Post
I quote from another site:
Dear fellow parents,

My son had attended a local private school (Paideia) for about 4 years when we decided the budget said it was time to try a public school. We were wrong. At this school being a... freshman of only five foot six my son was picked on and made immediate enemies with three different gangs of boys by refusing to buy weed. He was also threatened twice in his first three and a half weeks to be in a knife fight with some of the other hoodlum attendees. We had to pull him out after that. This is a unsafe school...

And....2 more....

I attend Grady High School and I am telling this to all viewers. Grady High School is TERRIBLE, someone was recently jumped with a bloody nose but didn't even call the ambulance to send this person to the hospital. I HATE, hate may be a strong word, but I HATE this school and I'm transferring out. Parents do not send your child to this school. The school safety DONT do their job. They are only worrying about making friends with the student. Tell you the truth I would want to make friend with student also because these student are RIDICULOUS. There were multiple times where school safety, deans, and teachers were injured by these student.

(other)
Mar 25, 2009
"From my experience as someone who lives and works in the neighborhood by Grady, I must say that Grady kids have no respect for the people, homes and cars near their school. They are disrespectful to neighborhood residents, hide their personal items on people's property, trespass, throw garbage cans, throw garbage, damage property, fight in the streets, disrespect the police.....I COULD GO ON. School safety needs to worry less about shmoozing and making friends with the students and do their jobs. If you send your child there....PLEASE make sure that they respect the neighborhood that they walk through."

This doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling about Grady High School, now does it?
And where are the good high schools you speak of that are a easy commute to downtown Atlanta?

Not to be cantankerous, but I just feel that finding a good place to live with great schools, shouldn't really be this difficult. But, for some reason, it is in Atlanta. When I moved to New York, it was hard to choose which village to live in because they were all so nice and all the schools were great. I guess it is especially frustrating for me, because I am actually a southerner living in the NE who thought she wanted to come home. I am disappointed in what I find.... I guess I was hoping for more. :-(

Welll it looks like your just concentrateing on the negatives. So really you dont want any truth about the school... Posting this negative comments after we try and give you some advice isnt really getting your question answered it really looks like your ranting... This should clear this up. DONT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THAT SCHOOL IF YOU FEEL ITS THAT BAD...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
 
213 posts, read 362,799 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Look- you're moving into a part of the city where the high schools pull students from multiple middle schools, so you're going to get some bad seeds. That's just a fact, which you can't change.

As Noah said above, you can find negative comments on any school if you look for them, and how do you know that what you're reading is 100% accurate?

If you want to minimize the issues your kids have to deal with, you're going to have to head to some of the more suburban areas that don't draw from such varied clusters of students. That doesn't mean those schools are squeaky clean, but they may have less of the issues you're concerned about.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
 
102 posts, read 342,903 times
Reputation: 77
Painter, just look east a couple of miles at City of Decatur. It's a small system so your son won't get lost in the shuffle. A single middle school (Renfroe) feeds into one high school (Decatur High). Your son can make friends in 8th grade, and exactly the same kids for the most part will be in 9th with no kids merging in from other feeder middle schools. This will make it very easy for him to get settled in. He can also very likely walk to school (tons of Decatur kids walk) which is a great way to make friends.

Grady is fine, and a lot of kids really excel there. Lots of kids do amazing things coming out of Decatur High too. We have several ivy league acceptances this year and a load of second tier acceptances behind that (Duke, Vandy, BU, Cornell, Davidson, etc.). No metal detectors either!

I have a kid going into 8th grade too, and I couldn't be happier with Renfroe. The kids there are very welcoming to new comers.

Last edited by frances125; 05-25-2010 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,928 posts, read 32,919,102 times
Reputation: 12576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
Welll it looks like your just concentrateing on the negatives. So really you dont want any truth about the school... Posting this negative comments after we try and give you some advice isnt really getting your question answered it really looks like your ranting... This should clear this up. DONT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THAT SCHOOL IF YOU FEEL ITS THAT BAD...
I have to say that I am getting the same impression; after repeatedly being given the same sensible advice (go and actually visit the school instead of relying on faceless comments about the school), the OP continues to pull negative information off of the internet in order to support a derisive attitude towards the school.
I'm afraid I can't take this inquiry very seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
 
48 posts, read 129,999 times
Reputation: 37
I have already rented a house in Inman Park. I told you I was great about Inam and Mary Lin..just couldn't get good consistent info about Grady. You can take it seriously or not. Wow. I am shocked. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top