U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 AM

115 posts, read 368,983 times

Advertisements

I used to work with students at Grady. The students I worked with were amazingly dedicated, bright, and extraordinarily hard working (seriously. I am a fairly hard worker myself, and the way these kids worked blew me away.) They were supported by teachers who wanted them to succeed, and they went on to Princeton, Harvard, amazing schools. Amazing students. Amazing, amazing teachers.

Now, that being said, those hard working striving kids were the minority at Grady. A large, definitely vibrant and visible minority supported by the school, but a minority. This was awhile ago now (but not so long that it is irrelevant) and at least then, there were violence issues (more of the hall fighting kind), kids who were just there killing time and causing trouble, and the school's facilities were, to put it mildly, lacking.

So, what to say? Grady is a unique school. Your child could do amazing things, thrive, and go on to any place he or she wants to go. Seriously. It is fantastically diverse, and so many of the kids are so great. But the atmosphere is not necessarily for every child. It is no suburban enclave. You must tour the school yourself, and you must keep your child in mind. At Grady, your child would not suffer from an academic standpoint. If he or she wants to succeed, Grady will get him or her there. But is it the school where *your* child will succeed? No one can answer that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,849,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Drugs and sex are commonplace at just about every ATlanta high school. Probably, to varying degrees, bullying is as well.

You have to make sure that you have instilled your values in your children. That is the best protection against behaviors you don't like. (And keep in mind that some parents don't disapprove of pot use and fooling around!)

I know many families that have children at Grady and they could all afford any private school in town. I hear very good things about the school.

Given that you already have a lease, move here, start school and go visit Grady yourself. I suspect you will be pleased.
Drugs and sex (and bullying) are commonplace at every high school - PERIOD. It's a little silly to single out Atlanta high schools for something that is very common all over the U.S.

These things were even common when I was in high school back in the 80s. Not everyone did it, and not everyone today does it...but that doesn't make them uncommon.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM

364 posts, read 615,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Translation:Grady is a decent school, but is still stuck with a bunch of thugs from the Fourth Ward who are violent and not interested in educating themselves. Unfortunately, gentrification stalled when the recession hit and they were able to avoid getting forced into Clayton.

A bunch of thugs??? Most thugs dont go to school past the 10th grade, especially those from Boulevard. I had a number of friends from that area and they stopped going to school early and often. Once most of those guys hit 16 or 17 they were on the block trying to make money. With the crazy high dropout rate APS has, I wouldnt call anyone in school actually trying to graduate a thug.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 AM

12,967 posts, read 21,071,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Drugs and sex (and bullying) are commonplace at every high school - PERIOD. It's a little silly to single out Atlanta high schools for something that is very common all over the U.S.

These things were even common when I was in high school back in the 80s. Not everyone did it, and not everyone today does it...but that doesn't make them uncommon.
When she said "every Atlanta high school" I'm pretty sure she meant every high school in Metro Atlanta.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
When she said "every Atlanta high school" I'm pretty sure she meant every high school in Metro Atlanta.
Oh okay...my apologies if that's what was intended. Since the discussion was about Grady and other city of Atlanta schools, it kind of led me in a different direction. My bad.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 AM

12,967 posts, read 21,071,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh okay...my apologies if that's what was intended. Since the discussion was about Grady and other city of Atlanta schools, it kind of led me in a different direction. My bad.
Oh...no prob--I was just thinking there was some misunderstanding going on.

We are all in the same rational boat about this topic...

Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,826,755 times
Actually, I should have just said every high school everywhere. That is what I meant.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,960,290 times
And I can confirm that according to my offspring who's been at Lassiter (one of the highly reputed suburban schools named earlier in this thread) for two years, there's drugs 'n stuff there.

As people keep saying, it's more helpful to raise a child with good values and strong character, than to pick a school free of bad elements. The first is possible, with grace. The second, only if you homeschool, I'm afraid.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Actually, I should have just said every high school everywhere. That is what I meant.
I got that after I re-read your post...sorry I misunderstood what you were saying - you're exactly right.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 PM

143 posts, read 294,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
And I can confirm that according to my offspring who's been at Lassiter (one of the highly reputed suburban schools named earlier in this thread) for two years, there's drugs 'n stuff there.

As people keep saying, it's more helpful to raise a child with good values and strong character, than to pick a school free of bad elements. The first is possible, with grace. The second, only if you homeschool, I'm afraid.
I went to Lassiter from 2000-2004 and I can confirm that there are drugs there. It's a great school, I felt like I got a great education there and my experience in college only made me more sure of that, but I don't think there's a high school in the country where you can't buy weed. And mostly, if you raised your kid well, it won't matter a whole lot.

I don't know if the OP is going to come back and continue to read since it seems like he got a little angry, but my experiences with kids that went to Grady have all been positive. I was on debate team in high school and we competed against them regularly - they had a very talented team and I think a few of them ended up going Ivy League. I met a few more during my time at UGA and they did nothing but confirm my feelings about the school.

You're not going to get the same experience at a school in urban Atlanta as you got at one in suburban New York, so you need to stop looking for that. If you wanted a suburban school, the suburbs would have been the optimal place to look. At any urban school, you're going to trade some homogeneity and a suburban sense of security for location and convenience. That doesn't mean that the school is bad - Grady seems to be excellent, on almost all accounts - it just means that the school is different than what you're used to.

There are crime, drugs and violence in every school. I went to one of the best in metro Atlanta and people still bloodied each others' noses every now and then. I'd be willing to bet its happened once or twice at Westminster too. Hate to break it to you, but there's no way to entirely shield your kid from that, and even if you could, it's probably better for their long-term development that they don't grow up in an environment completely devoid of even the smallest conflicts or dangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta