U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:10 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,899,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I got another secret message. Apparently he thinks Im white and trying to keep him out.
I think he should be welcome to come here and do his best, but I still believe that the timing of his attempt is suboptimal.

Then again, the housing prices in the Atlanta metro are very good right now ... it's very much a buyer's market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,115,275 times
I agree.

It seems that waaay too many unskilled & uneducated people are moving to Atlanta with hat in hand expected to be given a pot of gold. A high-level of education is needed to survive here in this current economically precarious environment & even that's not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
If you have the drive and ambition to succeed wherever you are, chances are that you'll be okay in Atlanta too. But keep in mind that there are other Educated, Ambitious, Successful Blacks (plus Whites, Latinos, Asians, etc.) here that will be competing for the same piece of the action, so you're not that "special" here. I came here with some preconceived notions, and I was humbled quickly. It's sort of like how many ambitious and talented people go to LA to get into the entertainment industry or Models who move to NYC. Sure, you may be hot from whatever town you're from, but now you have to compete with those who are just as talented and beautiful, if not more than you.

Also keep in mind that the economy isn't what it used to be here either, so PLEASE take that into consideration.

I will agree that there are other cities where the Black Middle Class have achieved critical mass and Atlanta doesn't have to be all and end all when it comes to that (in other words, you don't have to move to Atlanta to be successful). However, due to cost of living, regional history, climate, etc., Atlanta is at (or near) the top of the list for a reason.

As an African-American, I've always been ambivalent about Atlanta being classified as a so-called "Black Mecca," because it creates expectations from people that many other cities don't have, but it is what it is. We're not the land of milk and honey, but there are many who move here and find success.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM

442 posts, read 678,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I think he should be welcome to come here and do his best, but I still believe that the timing of his attempt is suboptimal.

Then again, the housing prices in the Atlanta metro are very good right now ... it's very much a buyer's market.
The population to good jobs ratio needs to balance. Too many people right now and it is an employers market.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,586,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
The population to good jobs ratio needs to balance. Too many people right now and it is an employers market.
Exactly. Huntsville, Al is starting to look pretty good.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 AM

39 posts, read 141,699 times
when we had our sights on moving here to atlanta, we were fortunate that my husband's job transfer had came through and fortunately for me, i work from home. we had a nice 3 bedroom apartment lined up as temporary digs well as our realtor working very hard to find us a good house to purchase while it's still a buyer's market. as much as people were saying that atlanta was the place to be for black folks, we were not coming down here on a wing and a prayer no matter how much we wanted to move. you have to have some kind of plan, especially in this tanked economy. atlanta can be a great place, but it's not too smart to romanticize it at all. plan! plan! plan!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 AM

81 posts, read 209,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey53 View Post
I heard that there were more black millions in the Atlanta area than any place is the world. Do you really think if your educated and Black there are better opportunities in Atlanta?
Not quite sure there are more opportunities for black educated folks. I am seeing that given the economic climate, experience and job knowledge is the key since most organizations are replacing jobs exisiting jobs not creating new ones. Atlanta nor any major city should not be viewed upon as a better opp for any single culture. Take for example NYC, Chicago, San Fancisco, Dallas, LA, etc. Having lived in these cities and now in Atlanta, safe to say Atlanta is the least educated (regardless of culture)that I can see in the workforce. Having interviewed so many in each area and working with recruiters, viewing resumes etc. So advice.. If you are educated regardless and have a will and passion for doing quality work etc. you can just about go anywhere.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,579,049 times
Very interesting perspective. Ive observed the same. Any place can be a black mecca if it offers what your looking for.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandmrossi View Post
Not quite sure there are more opportunities for black educated folks. I am seeing that given the economic climate, experience and job knowledge is the key since most organizations are replacing jobs exisiting jobs not creating new ones. Atlanta nor any major city should not be viewed upon as a better opp for any single culture. Take for example NYC, Chicago, San Fancisco, Dallas, LA, etc. Having lived in these cities and now in Atlanta, safe to say Atlanta is the least educated (regardless of culture)that I can see in the workforce. Having interviewed so many in each area and working with recruiters, viewing resumes etc. So advice.. If you are educated regardless and have a will and passion for doing quality work etc. you can just about go anywhere.
False again. I love giving out bad information daily

(C) DYTDUDE

Well in terms of black educational attainment, Atlanta does attract more blacks with at least a bachelor's degree or more than any othe metropolitan area. Lets break it on down shall we...

According to the Status of Metropolitan America study done by Brookings:

African Americans with degrees in metro Atlanta grew by 83% from 2000-2008! Compared to 40% for metro Atlanta overall. The growth rate for blacks holding a master's degree or more grew even more; by an astounding 125% from 2000-2008!

Metro Atlanta has the second highest number of African Americans holding degrees (275,000) after only New York (451,000), recently surpassing Washington, DC (250,000).

One in four (24%) metro Atlantans holding a degree is an African American, compared to 10% in metro New York and 15% in metro DC. Almost one out of ten African American adults hold at least a master's degree in metro Atlanta.

Lastly, 27% of African American adults hold at least a bachelors degree compared to 19% nationwide.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 PM

625 posts, read 911,451 times
Many blacks in Atlanta work in government. I'm not aware of any majority-black corporations. However, the local governments are majority black. But Atlanta had the highest white population increase in the entire country.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM

395 posts, read 470,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey53 View Post
I heard that there were more black millions in the Atlanta area than any place is the world. Do you really think if your educated and Black there are better opportunities in Atlanta?
hear = heard (in the post title)
millions = millionaires
"any place is" = "any place in"
your = you're

There are opportunities in Atlanta for those who can truly support their claims of being educated and value-added to an organization.

With stiff competition in a suspect economy, the little things can be an elimination factor, brother. I know a lot of thorough black professionals in Atlanta, and most of them prefer to work with people they perceive as just as thorough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or