Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:07 AM

44 posts, read 269,938 times

Advertisements

I heard that there were more black millions in the Atlanta area than any place is the world. Do you really think if your educated and Black there are better opportunities in Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:09 AM

890 posts, read 1,642,388 times
it depends on you, just because you fit the demographic it doesn't mean things will come to you. you have to work for it.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 AM

128 posts, read 351,393 times
They aren't handing out millions these days to anybody.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM

8,466 posts, read 14,896,767 times
If you are educated and have the drive you will do well anywhere. Atlanta however attracts the largest number of educated middle and upperclass A-A, so you will have a cultural and community experience that you will find in few other places in this country.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 AM

213 posts, read 419,196 times
Oh Lord the black thing lets see where this goes. Black ares educated everywhere not only in Atlanta but in Dallas Houston NYC DC Chicago. Dont just limit yourself to one area because you heard something...

Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,221,170 times
If you have the drive and ambition to succeed wherever you are, chances are that you'll be okay in Atlanta too. But keep in mind that there are other Educated, Ambitious, Successful Blacks (plus Whites, Latinos, Asians, etc.) here that will be competing for the same piece of the action, so you're not that "special" here. I came here with some preconceived notions, and I was humbled quickly. It's sort of like how many ambitious and talented people go to LA to get into the entertainment industry or Models who move to NYC. Sure, you may be hot from whatever town you're from, but now you have to compete with those who are just as talented and beautiful, if not more than you.

Also keep in mind that the economy isn't what it used to be here either, so PLEASE take that into consideration.

I will agree that there are other cities where the Black Middle Class have achieved critical mass and Atlanta doesn't have to be all and end all when it comes to that (in other words, you don't have to move to Atlanta to be successful). However, due to cost of living, regional history, climate, etc., Atlanta is at (or near) the top of the list for a reason.

As an African-American, I've always been ambivalent about Atlanta being classified as a so-called "Black Mecca," because it creates expectations from people that many other cities don't have, but it is what it is. We're not the land of milk and honey, but there are many who move here and find success.

Last edited by grindin; 05-26-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 AM

44 posts, read 269,938 times
Well with my MBA in hand, unemployment checks stacked up, dread locks a flying here I come.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey53 View Post
Well with my MBA in hand, unemployment checks stacked up, dread locks a flying here I come.
With over 10% unemployment, I would say the opportunities are limited in the Atlanta metro for just about everybody.

Good luck with that MBA ... it doesn't mean much to many companies unless you also have relevant industry experience.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 AM

442 posts, read 822,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey53 View Post
Don't do it. Have you thought this through? Do you have a support system? How will you eat?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 AM

442 posts, read 822,433 times
Quote:
Black and Educated,... 12-05-2010 11:57 AM dreadlocks a flyin, you are NOT going to discourage me to move here. nice try to avoid having more "real black folk" -- PreciousD
This dude just sent me this. He must be another misinformed "land of milk and honey" black transplant who will likely see how bad things are for people who don't plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta