U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:20 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,344,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
This attitude is why Comcast received a F in the latest ratings on the industry.
My homeboy works for comcast he also says the customers are the worse.. I really dont watch cable. there is nothing really that comes on TV now days. Tv is a luxury anyways.. But comcast may have recieved and F but there still the number 1 cable company...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:03 AM

2,676 posts, read 5,071,217 times
The customers may be the worse, but thats because you have to act like a jerk to get anything done. I've found that generally the reps are the worst and act like they are god. For me its the service and the fact that you can almost always count on prices going up 10% per year. i personally had to fight for 1 year to get a monthly charge for a box removed that was picked up by one of their employees. They claimed they didnt have it and wanted me to prove it because the charges would be removed. Got a different answer everytime I would call in.

Companies that don't value their customers don't do well over the long term. Look at Dell. Look at Sprint, who actually has the fastest data network now and has improved their service but they ruined their reputation so much no one has noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
My homeboy works for comcast he also says the customers are the worse.. I really dont watch cable. there is nothing really that comes on TV now days. Tv is a luxury anyways.. But comcast may have recieved and F but there still the number 1 cable company...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:43 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,514,272 times
I'm either the most lucky guy on the face of the earth, or I just don't have a chip on my shoulder. Can't speak for everyone, but speaking for myself, when I moved to GA in 2007, I cancelled the Comcast triple play at my house in MA and returned the boxes to the local office. No problems....at all.

When I arrived in GA, I intended to get the Comcast triple play again, but they didn't offer the phone service yet. Instead I got a POTS line and DSL from AT&T while getting TV from Comcast. DSL was not reliable....going up and down like a jack in the box....and was slow, with only 512Kbps uploads and 6Mbps down as the top speed. The POTS line costs kept going up, with voice mail costing me $6/mo.

I got the Comcast triple play...top of the line package....and get much better phone service with Canada calling, multiple calling features and voice mail (including a web interface) included. My Internet speeds are 22Mbps down and 5Mbps up....plus powerboost which provides some compression benefits for short bursts. Plus I kept my TV service and DVRs.

Now, the moral of the story is that Comcast has done everything they've said, and the service is technically better than anything else out there...dish or telco. Since FIOS doesn't exist in GA, there is nothing that can touch Comcast technically. Is there customer service sometimes lacking...yup, but as long as you don't expect geniuses on the phone, you won't be disappointed. I get every bit of what I pay for and really have few complaints. I tend to think people just like jumping on the "hate the big company" bandwagon.

And no...I don't work for Comcast or have any family members or friends who do. I'm just an ordinary customer with a brain.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I got the Comcast triple play...top of the line package....and get much better phone service with Canada calling, multiple calling features and voice mail (including a web interface) included. My Internet speeds are 22Mbps down and 5Mbps up....plus powerboost which provides some compression benefits for short bursts. Plus I kept my TV service and DVRs.

Now, the moral of the story is that Comcast has done everything they've said, and the service is technically better than anything else out there...dish or telco. Since FIOS doesn't exist in GA, there is nothing that can touch Comcast technically. Is there customer service sometimes lacking...yup, but as long as you don't expect geniuses on the phone, you won't be disappointed. I get every bit of what I pay for and really have few complaints. I tend to think people just like jumping on the "hate the big company" bandwagon.

And no...I don't work for Comcast or have any family members or friends who do. I'm just an ordinary customer with a brain.
I'm in much the same position ... I have the Triple Play package with one Comcast-provided HD DVR and my own SD ReplayTV 5040 connected via IR Blaster and Digital Adapter, and all of the services I use (phone, cable, and internet) have been very reliable over the past five years.

The only issues I've encountered with Comcast are when I want to add or change something ... chances are around 50% that something will go wrong with the order. Once the services are in place, tho, it's been smooth sailing.

I'm just looking to compare other services and potentially save some $$, since $150/month is becoming a little steep.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM

2,676 posts, read 5,071,217 times
Ouch. $150/month would motivate me. Just heard that cable has lost 5 million customers in the last 3 years to verizon/at&t and to those that are switching to watching their tv via the internet. Its amazing how many things are needs to most of us that 15 years ago were not in the picture (cable tv some degree, cell phones, internet, ipods). For some its $300 a month ($3,600 a year) they weren't spending before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'm in much the same position ... I have the Triple Play package with one Comcast-provided HD DVR and my own SD ReplayTV 5040 connected via IR Blaster and Digital Adapter, and all of the services I use (phone, cable, and internet) have been very reliable over the past five years.

The only issues I've encountered with Comcast are when I want to add or change something ... chances are around 50% that something will go wrong with the order. Once the services are in place, tho, it's been smooth sailing.

I'm just looking to compare other services and potentially save some $$, since $150/month is becoming a little steep.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:25 PM

1,983 posts, read 3,348,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
You probably know this, but none of the dish TV services can provide either Internet access or telephone. The package deals they offer that are comparable to the triple play usually use a DSL service for internet. DSL is fine, but generally slower than cable internet.

And add me to the count of satisfied Comcast customers. Sure they weren't perfect, but overall I was happy with their service and their phone support. I am annoyed that they don't want to provide me service at my current address, but I understand why. Hopefully things will be different when my DirecTV contract ends.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Ouch. $150/month would motivate me.
Keep in mind that the above fee includes a decent selection of free Pay Per View TV shows and movies, an okay DVR, very fast cablemodem service, and digital phone service with voicemail/etcl and unlimited long distance.

AT&T was almost $90/month just for a single land line with CallerID and voice mail (they only provided bundles that contained a lot of other crap we didn't need).

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
You probably know this, but none of the dish TV services can provide either Internet access or telephone. The package deals they offer that are comparable to the triple play usually use a DSL service for internet. DSL is fine, but generally slower than cable internet.
That is absolutely true, and the savings in TV service will probably not offset the loss of the ReplayTV (which is only SD resolution but which is a LOT more flexible in several respects than the Comcast DVR), so chances are we won't move.

I've used DSL before, but not in this market ... I was a charter DSL user in the Twin Cities back in the late 90's. Still have my Cisco 675 somewhere.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:24 AM

57 posts, read 206,369 times
I wish it really was that easy... BUT IT'S NOT. I needed to cancel Comcast because I was moving soon, and they refused to take the equipment in an attempt to keep billing me. Of course, I could have left it on the counter in front of the rep and stormed out, but then I wouldn't get a receipt. No receipt, no proof. Then all they'd do is bill me for the equipment.

AT&T Uverse for the win! Well, at least during the promo. I have 2 phone lines, 300 channels with some premium, and high speed Internet for $169 (with taxes). Now it's up to about $205 since the 6 month promo is over. I have a DVR, on demand programming, lots of movies to choose from, and the 3rd fastest speed (out of 4 choices) for Internet.

Last edited by Nonpareil; 05-29-2010 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: added more info :)

Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 AM

9,002 posts, read 16,118,243 times
I don't do 'auto' bill for any company. I have my E-Bill pay Electronically push my payment to them so I'm in control. They can't just take the money out of my account and have me try to get it back. The one with the $'s has control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta