U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 AM

57 posts, read 206,411 times

Advertisements

Uverse is our equivalent of FIOS right now. There are some technical differences, but for the most part it's very similar.

So far I've been happy with it, although I didn't really have a choice. My apt complex was built prewired for their services. Some of the people moving in have been able to get Comcast and the dish, but it takes a lot of finagling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 01:21 PM

126 posts, read 184,337 times
remember that introductory discount offer for new customers? usually for the first year. but you can renew that discount each time it expires. it's very simple. when you see the bill increase, it means your introductory discount expired. just call up the CSR (customer service rep) and tell them you wish to cancel and will be subscribing to satellite services. the CSR is trained to keep you as a customer and will then offer to renew the discount. i've been doing this for the past 4 years.

no complaints with our comcast service. we have the triple play and 3 HD video recorders.

-a|ex

Old 05-29-2010, 02:25 PM

788 posts, read 1,684,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a|ex View Post
remember that introductory discount offer for new customers? usually for the first year. but you can renew that discount each time it expires. it's very simple. when you see the bill increase, it means your introductory discount expired. just call up the CSR (customer service rep) and tell them you wish to cancel and will be subscribing to satellite services. the CSR is trained to keep you as a customer and will then offer to renew the discount. i've been doing this for the past 4 years.

no complaints with our comcast service. we have the triple play and 3 HD video recorders.

-a|ex

Exactly This is what you have to do. I am a CAE for Comcast and as soon as the customer says this we send the customer to the retention (Loyalty) department and the customer is saved from going to dish or direct tv.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM

31 posts, read 154,972 times
Comcast can be fast but they are unreliable. I routinely got speeds of 2-3 Mbs when I should have gotton 12-15 Mbs the last few weeks. They love surprise rates as well. You really have to read the fine print. Still waiting on Fios...

Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 PM

267 posts, read 766,024 times
I moved here from an area that was services by Cox Cable. I loved them, never had any problems. I've had nothing but issues with Comcast.

We moved into a full basement of a house owned by my husbands grandparents. Completely separate living quarters. The home can even be considered a duplex of sorts because there are 2 separate entrances, 2 separate garages, full kitchen, bathroom and 4 bedrooms in the "basement."

The upstairs part of the house has cable. We just wanted cable internet. I called and told them the living arrangement, and signed up for cable internet under my husbands and my name. Told them I own my own modem. 2 days after the guy came out and turned on our service, the cable upstairs went out. After calling numerous times, Comcast said we had set up a second account in a single family home, which was not allowed, and so they turned the first one off.

Um....I had explained the living arrangement in the beginning. But fine, so it was a misunderstanding. They turned the cable upstairs back on and turned our internet off! We called and told them and they said it would be a week before someone could come back out and turn it back on (it was added as a service to the account upstairs.) My husband had to call THREE times and ask if due to their mistake, we could get it turned on sooner. We needed internet for our business as I am a web designer. Finally, the third representative was nice and with a few keystrokes, it was back on. Why did they say it would take a week and have to send someone out then?

THEN, to top it all off. When we got the bill they had charged us for modem rental. We had our own, they never brought one out. Some people who don't pay close attention might overlook something like that and then they would be making free money. We had to call again and they applied a credit to our next bill.

I just get the feeling Comcast is not an honest company. I have the patience of a saint but dealing with them has been bad...

Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
You probably know this, but none of the dish TV services can provide either Internet access or telephone.
This is true, though I have seen some "package" deals that include internet from a 3rd party ISP. I am not sure if you could get POTS bundles into your satellite internet plan, though.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,726,466 times
I'm up in Michigan and thinking about getting rid of Communist Cable. I've not had meaningful problems with the service- it's just that the $120 a month or so for a nothing special cable package and internet access is better off wasted somewhere else. (I have no plans to get a dish or U-Verse.) If I were to cancel, would I be better off just to take the cable boxes and modem into the office and tell them to go to heck there rather than do it over the phone? Thanks for the advice about getting a receipt for turning in the equipment.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:25 PM

60 posts, read 121,368 times
I have a secret deal.... only $10...

It's like. Shhhh...

Old 01-22-2011, 04:32 PM

1,903 posts, read 4,726,466 times
I don't want anything from them. I want to get rid of Comcast altogether. It's a leech sticking to my wallet. After ninety days, I might look at a Double Play teaser rate, but no Triple Play. I don't want a phone and after that teaser rate goes away, that rate shoots waaaay up.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:34 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,531,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDesign View Post
Comcast can be fast but they are unreliable. I routinely got speeds of 2-3 Mbs when I should have gotton 12-15 Mbs the last few weeks. They love surprise rates as well. You really have to read the fine print. Still waiting on Fios...
Keep waiting. The only areas south of Virginia that have access to FiOS is around Tampa. The rest of the South is AT&T land, save some rural areas. U-verse is what you'll end up with here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta