U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 AM

44 posts, read 169,498 times

Advertisements

I must tell you all the trick to cancelling Comcast is to switch to another provider if you can OR the very day you call them and say I CANCEL take them all of their junk..boxes cords the works and get a receipt. Because they will keep billing you and then demand that you prove you've cancelled. But the moment you turn in the equiptment you can no longer be billed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 AM

161 posts, read 310,159 times
Thank you for the post. We want to cancel but not sure if our area is serviced by anyone else (satellite, yes of course).

We got into a billing dispute with them the other day. They charged us for a problem visit, then agreed to rescind the charge, then after 4 weeks still have not done so. In the meantime they raised our rate some 15%.

Since then our internet service has become S-l-o-w, I am getting people complaining that the phone line is heavily disrupted (worse than a cell call). I don't know if this is sheer coincidence but the phone has never been an issue before, with over 3 years of service.

We have triple play with them. If anyone can guide us to a better/alternate service it would be appreciated. We are on the western edge of Milton, near the Cherokee line, low density population.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:02 PM

213 posts, read 254,274 times
EVeryone thinks the gras sis greenier on the other side.... I used to work for comcast when I first got here and I hated the customers. they wanted everything for free. Never made payments on time.. I even had customers who cried over cable.. The customers are the worst.. If you cant afford cable that means you dont need it.. The never wanna pay retail rate. Always seeking payment arrangements. But I beat they wont go to GA power asking for a better deal there going to pay the light bill with no questions...

Old 05-26-2010, 12:07 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,336,954 times
I cant help you in atlanta.. so I guess I dont know why I am posting. but I am a subcontractor in savannah area and can answer some questions on turning equipment in. We actually are the company that picks the equipment up for comcast. At no charge to the customer. pm me with any questions.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 PM

2,351 posts, read 3,299,905 times
This attitude is why Comcast received a F in the latest ratings on the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
EVeryone thinks the gras sis greenier on the other side.... I used to work for comcast when I first got here and I hated the customers. they wanted everything for free. Never made payments on time.. I even had customers who cried over cable.. The customers are the worst.. If you cant afford cable that means you dont need it.. The never wanna pay retail rate. Always seeking payment arrangements. But I beat they wont go to GA power asking for a better deal there going to pay the light bill with no questions...

Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,833,184 times
I had no problem canceling service with Comcast last August. They even sent someone out to pick up the equipment free of charge.

As for alternatives, unfortunately you won't find alternatives for cable service. Cable companies usually obtain an exclusive "franchise" agreement with your local government (city or county) and are the only ones allowed to provide cable service. At this point your only other alternative for phone, TV, and internet service is AT&T U-verse. That service isn't available everywhere -- you will have to check with the att.com website to see if your area has it.

The only other alternatives for TV are over-the-air and satellite (DirecTV and Dish). For telephone and Internet you can get a DSL line from any number of providers then use one of several VOIP services. We use and love ooma.

We also currently have DirecTV, not by choice, but because there is no cable service in our neighborhood. I really dislike DirecTV but I know others that think it's the greatest.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,629,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
We also currently have DirecTV, not by choice, but because there is no cable service in our neighborhood. I really dislike DirecTV but I know others that think it's the greatest.
Why do you dislike DirectTV? We're thinking about going to either DirectTV or Dish to save a little money, but I'm wondering what the trade-offs are...

Old 05-26-2010, 04:29 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,833,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Why do you dislike DirectTV? We're thinking about going to either DirectTV or Dish to save a little money, but I'm wondering what the trade-offs are...
First let me speak to "saving a little money". For what I wanted out of a TV service I am not saving any money with DirecTV. In fact, over two years I will pay an additional $556.

Comcast cost me $57.25 for the "starter digital cable" service. This included HD on some channels and was sufficient for my needs. It also included the use of one digital tuner and two digital "adapters". I could add as many digital TVs (with HD) as I wanted (although I first had to figure out where all the channels were). My primary means of watching cable was my own HD TIVO with a cable card. The monthly cost of the card was included in that $57.25. That price got me 4 TVs and potentially more. I had the freedom to cancel at any time.

DirecTV is currently charging me 65.89 for their "Plus HD DVR" service. This amount is an introductory price that lasts for a year and expires in August. I was required to sign a 2-year agreement. In August my monthly rate will jump to 94.99. This was the cheapest package that did not require me to also purchase an HD+DVR receiver. My TIVO won't work with DirecTV. If I want to add another HD receiver (which I do) my understanding is that I have to pay for the receiver AND my monthly rate goes up.

So although I have extra channels with DirecTV, I don't really want them. I went with a package that allowed me to rent the equipment I wanted rather than purchase it. At least I think I'm renting it. I'm not really sure as DirecTV doesn't make it clear. Over 2 years I will pay $1930. 2 years of Comcast would only cost me $1374. And the one channel I really want they don't have due to a contract dispute with Comcast!

As for the service, I have found that DirecTV is less reliable than Comcast. It frequently goes out in heavy rain, and occasionally goes out for no reason: sometimes just for a few seconds but occasionally for longer. The DVR is terrible and very frustrating to use. The guide information is routinely incorrect and is cluttered with advertisements for their pay-per-view service.

Finally there's the admittedly subjective feeling I get every time I talk to them on the phone: the sales people seem so slimy that I feel like I need to bathe afterwards.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:53 AM

164 posts, read 313,309 times
Ya, Comcast sux...but Xfinity is great!!! :P

Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,502,280 times
I would never put the that ugly dish on my house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta