Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 PM

25 posts, read 63,505 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving down to Atlanta in July. I am a very good lyricist/songwriter and am looking to make connections once I'm down there so eventually someone will recognize my talent and want to work with me. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can get started with this remainder removed by moderator (TOS) Thanks and hope to hear back from some people...

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-27-2010 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Do you perform, or just write?

What music styles do you write for?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 AM

13 posts, read 26,878 times
I don't have any contact people you can get with, but I would suggest just hanging around the music scene and letting people see your face. Try hitting up different music events, or nightclubs and doing some ground roots networking.

The one thing that's great about the artists coming out and something that's been going on throughout the south region for years is the ability of the southern artists to put out their OWN material without the help of a major label. Try getting some studio time and developing your music and hit the streets and start passing out CD's and such.

As you get more familiar with the scene and do more networking you're bound to run into others with the same aspirations as you and you'll likely forge a working relationship with them and do some work together.

Good Luck

Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM

25 posts, read 63,505 times
I record sometimes but I mainly just deal with songwriting. I sometimes record my lyrics and verses though if the person I'm sending them to wants to see how what I've written flows along

Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM

128 posts, read 215,137 times
^^^^IM me. And get out to some of these event that these clubs have, like Apache, Crucial, etc. They often host events for unsigned artists and those are great places to do some networking. Also, hit the web up. Dig out theses websites and get on someone's guest list for these events around Atl. You'd be surprised at where u might end up.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
Hey Sentine!

I too write music, though I write orchestral scores for films. Best advice I can give you is the tired old networking advice. Network in person though. There is still absolutely no substitute for meeting face to face and hitting it off. These are people that you're going to want to build a business relationship with.

Also, know your nitche. I write for film so I know I'm going to want to network with film directors, producors, etc. For a songwriter, you're going to want to meet vocalists, A&R reps etc. Though you probably already knew that.

I'm also curious as to what genre you write for? Atlanta is saturated with people wanting to break into hip hop and make beats and all of that.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM

128 posts, read 215,137 times
^^^^Lawd yes lol. I almost wanna say TOO saturated, just not with any talent beyond a one-hit wonder. Just make sure your music stands out from all this fluff around Atl. You'll be fine. Atl is just the spot to be for urban music at this point in time. Make sure, however, that you get a GREAT manager you can trust. Its alot of plastic, fake snakes out here that will take you for a spin if you let em. Believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: