U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 PM

642 posts, read 1,937,846 times

Advertisements

My best advice to you is to make your own judgements after either visitng or living here for a period of time. Only then will get a tru feel. And get a short term lease in case you don't care for it and won't to move on. If you do like it then it goes without saying that then you can look for something more long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 AM

542 posts, read 1,504,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
So true.

There may even be no comparison in the world (major city)...
Yes, this is true, partly because Atlanta has a very small concrete jungle core as compared to other cities and this core is surrounded immediately by suburban densities. This allows for most of the "city" to be engulfed by trees.

Atlanta may have the trees, but nothing compares to the majestic beauty you will find in the Bay area or out west in general. This can be a shock for those accustomed to such locales. Also, the Atlanta area comes across like a cheap, watered-down and small-scale version of the L.A. region. And I know many who prefer the Bay Area to the real L.A., so come to Atlanta and see for yourself ....

And speaking of the humidity .... don't let it suffocate you ...

All that being said, the bargain basement prices to be found here are a driving force for growth for a good reason. Many professions, especially engineering and software have comparable salaries/pay rates in cheap places such as Atlanta and Dallas vs. the expensive coastal cities. So, in these job fields, it makes no sense to be living in the Bay area instead of say, Atlanta, from a purely financial standpoint.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 AM

20,990 posts, read 32,977,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Also, the Atlanta area comes across like a cheap, watered-down and small-scale version of the L.A. region. coastal cities.
I'd call that a bit harsh.
I know several former Bay Area residents that have successfully and happily made the transition to the Atlanta area. My DH, for starters...he is a East Bay native that was also raised in Seattle, and spent his adult years in Seattle, Miami, Kansas City and Atlanta. Besides Seattle, the place that he has enjoyed residing the most is...right here.
Pointing out Atlanta's shortcomings has become a national pastime on C-D, but in reality most Atlantans I know find it a very livable city, the residents very open and welcoming.
BTW, I have a single friend (age 48) living in Johns Creek...he likes it very much, having moved a few years ago from Midtown. He does say that one reason the move was successful was that in midlife, his priorities changed...raising dogs, gardening and quiet evenings with the neighbors suddenly became more appealing than nightclubbing and being in the middle of the action. In Johns Creek, you're definitely going to get more of the former than the latter.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:07 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,782,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'd call that a bit harsh.
I know several former Bay Area residents that have successfully and happily made the transition to the Atlanta area. My DH, for starters...he is a East Bay native that was also raised in Seattle, and spent his adult years in Seattle, Miami, Kansas City and Atlanta. Besides Seattle, the place that he has enjoyed residing the most is...right here.
Pointing out Atlanta's shortcomings has become a national pastime on C-D, but in reality most Atlantans I know find it a very livable city, the residents very open and welcoming.
BTW, I have a single friend (age 48) living in Johns Creek...he likes it very much, having moved a few years ago from Midtown. He does say that one reason the move was successful was that in midlife, his priorities changed...raising dogs, gardening and quiet evenings with the neighbors suddenly became more appealing than nightclubbing and being in the middle of the action. In Johns Creek, you're definitely going to get more of the former than the latter.
Spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or