U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM

128 posts, read 166,289 times

Advertisements

Can someone please answer this for me? Im not from Atl, but recently relocated here like 3 years ago. In the interim, Ive seen a wide chunk of Atl that I never knew existed b4 I moved here.

Sooooo,

Why is it that so many bloggers on here choose to designate every place south of I-20 as hood, or ghetto, or high crime, etc?

This concerns me, because these areas on here get a bad rap, and it just so happens that the West, East, and South core metro areas are mostly African-American. Im concerned that there is a negative racial intent by designating all south metro areas in a bad light.

To me, its inaccurate to say that ONLY the southside has bad parts in Atl. I can think of many areas in Cobb, N. Fulton, and Gwinnett that are less than desirable areas....places like Roswell rd, Windy Hill, Milford Mill, West and South Cobb, Parts of Buford Hwy, etc. Every time I check the news, I never seem to hear about large drug busts in Dekalb or Fulton.....mainly Gwinnett.

So perhaps some of you can clear this up for me: is there racial intent or not in saying the Southside of Atl is a high crime area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,438,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Why is it that so many bloggers on here choose to designate every place south of I-20 as hood, or ghetto, or high crime, etc?
Probably for the same reason that folks in the Twin Cities slam areas like North Minneapolis and Brooklyn Park even though many parts of those areas are quite nice. It's an overgeneralization, and gets passed around because many people have no real experience with those areas and are just parroting what they've heard.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,734,012 times
I don't think there's any "racial intent", per se, but let's face it- when you watch the news, I'd say 90% of the crimes they report on seem to occur in Fulton, Dekalb or Clayton County, and a large majority of the folks in the mug shots happen to be black. People tend to draw conclusions from that- right or wrong- and therefore the areas that those crimes occur in get painted with a very broad brush (or a paint roller.....) as being high crime, undesirable areas full of blacks.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,854,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
So perhaps some of you can clear this up for me: is there racial intent or not in saying the Southside of Atl is a high crime area?
No...I think people are just calling it like it is. Much of South Fulton County and Clayton County and even parts of Henry County ARE high crime areas. Those that are not high crime are definitely not low crime. Just because parts of the southside are higher crime areas doesn't mean that other parts of town have no crime. It's not a mutually exclusive thing.

I can tell you that dating back to 1982 when I moved to Atlanta the first time, the southside of town has always been the less afluent, higher crime, more redneck side of town. Clayton used to be a middle to lower middle class, slightly redneck and mostly white county. There was crime, just not as much violent crime.

The difference today is that places like Clayton seem to have picked up the urban criminals who moved out from the city, along with new criminals moving to the area, and many of them are black. The racial makeup of the county has drastically changed in the last 15 years. Other factors that add to the perception of corruption and chaos are the Clayton County Schools fiasco, the recent fiasco with the Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill, and the constant reporting of violence in Clayton County.

Is there some misperception....sure. Are people getting it all wrong that the southside of town is higher crime than the northside....I don't think so.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM

739 posts, read 1,810,617 times
1.This thread could describe any metro area in the country. Do we really need a history lesson on racism in this country? We know why things are they way they are. We all know the "black" "hispanic" and "asian" sections of town and how to discern if a poster is white black or whatever to point them in the white..err I mean right direction. I think some white people (obviously the ignorant ones) think becoming a criminal is an innate trait in minority races and only a matter of time before they all commit some type of crime. lol.
2.The effects of slavery and the jim crow era obviously linger in the minds of whites and blacks in this country thus causing stereotypes and mistrust to form. Unfortunately racial politics and prejudices in the private sector still rule the day in this town and state. Imagine all of the issues and projects that could have been solved and started in the metro if it weren't for race- the entire metro area would be developed and not just everything north of 20. We would have a better educated populous-i.e. better jobs, better neighborhoods, schools etc.
3.Crime is just an easy cop-out when it comes to talking about race/development etc in different parts of town. The excuse for developers is always "that's an economically depressed area so it would be hard to make money" total BS(why are they depressed, re-read point #2). If you build something NICE and not these run-down strip malls people will spend their money i.e. campcreek marketplace stonecrest area etc. Until we learn that all of us are 99.9 the same and stop focusing on that .01 percent we're not going to get anywhere and continue pointing fingers at one another-i.e."that area is ghetto"-read:black or "that area's mostly white" read: racist.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
No...I think people are just calling it like it is. Much of South Fulton County and Clayton County and even parts of Henry County ARE high crime areas. Those that are not high crime are definitely not low crime. Just because parts of the southside are higher crime areas doesn't mean that other parts of town have no crime. It's not a mutually exclusive thing.

I can tell you that dating back to 1982 when I moved to Atlanta the first time, the southside of town has always been the less afluent, higher crime, more redneck side of town. Clayton used to be a middle to lower middle class, slightly redneck and mostly white county. There was crime, just not as much violent crime.

The difference today is that places like Clayton seem to have picked up the urban criminals who moved out from the city, along with new criminals moving to the area, and many of them are black. The racial makeup of the county has drastically changed in the last 15 years. Other factors that add to the perception of corruption and chaos are the Clayton County Schools fiasco, the recent fiasco with the Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill, and the constant reporting of violence in Clayton County.

Is there some misperception....sure. Are people getting it all wrong that the southside of town is higher crime than the northside....I don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
1.This thread could describe any metro area in the country. Do we really need a history lesson on racism in this country? We know why things are they way they are. We all know the "black" "hispanic" and "asian" sections of town and how to discern if a poster is white black or whatever to point them in the white..err I mean right direction. I think some white people (obviously the ignorant ones) think becoming a criminal is an innate trait in minority races and only a matter of time before they all commit some type of crime. lol.
2.The effects of slavery and the jim crow era obviously linger in the minds of whites and blacks in this country thus causing stereotypes and mistrust to form. Unfortunately racial politics and prejudices in the private sector still rule the day in this town and state. Imagine all of the issues and projects that could have been solved and started in the metro if it weren't for race- the entire metro area would be developed and not just everything north of 20. We would have a better educated populous-i.e. better jobs, better neighborhoods, schools etc.
3.Crime is just an easy cop-out when it comes to talking about race/development etc in different parts of town. The excuse for developers is always "that's an economically depressed area so it would be hard to make money" total BS(why are they depressed, re-read point #2). If you build something NICE and not these run-down strip malls people will spend their money i.e. campcreek marketplace stonecrest area etc. Until we learn that all of us are 99.9 the same and stop focusing on that .01 percent we're not going to get anywhere and continue pointing fingers at one another-i.e."that area is ghetto"-read:black or "that area's mostly white" read: racist.
Great post from both of you. I remember sometime ago, me and my uncle (who is a A-A Gwinett native, btw) had a discussion about Atl's developmental patterns. Thats where I found out that areas like Bankhead, Decatur, Stone Mtn, etc. used to be primarily white and affluent. He told me that real estate agents had alot to do with white flight into Cobb and Gwinnett in the early 60s on into the 80s. He also said racism had alot to do with it as well, b/c Atl public schools were undergoing integration and alot of Atlanta whites did not want their children to attend school with black students, hence the beginning of "Sprawl-lanta".

Makes sense, too. In areas that are mostly hood, I see all to often kats that holla out about this hood, this zone, that street, etc. not knowing that less than 30 years ago that may have been an all white part of town where blacks were not allowed.

My unc also elaborated on communities that were destroyed by attrition....black prosperous communities that were destroyed by white development in middle North Fulton Co. (and also former Milton Co.).

But my point is when people broad paint the entire southside it really does damage the decent places contain therein. I never knew that Howell Mill was a decent hood until I happened to be on a job interview and I had to walk from King Plow to Bankhead Marta. Thought I was supposed to be walking through the projects and what not, and all I see are elderly couples and yuppies mowing the lawn. That tripped me out.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM

^^^^Conversely, when I was riding on the Eastside in Dekalb with a few friends, I had no clue I was riding in the middle of the hood (South Hairston).....or at least what is considered to be hood. Didnt look the least bit run down.....in fact, to quite honest Dekalb really reminds me of parts of Prince George's Co. in Maryland b4 Martin O Malley took office and ran in into hell and back.

I just think that sometimes real estate agents are all to quick to steer newcomers to the Northside, when Ive seen property on the East, West, and Southside that is just as comparable to the North.
The Northside does have the advantage of having more robust schools, Mountainous terrain, and newer elite communities, but so do parts of the East and West. Fayetteville in SW metro has some of the most beautiful mansions Ive ever seen in GA....and so does Water's Edge off of Deshon Rd.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 PM

739 posts, read 1,810,617 times
Adding to my previous post let me say this- because of racism and the political and economic power whites have enjoyed for the better part of this country's history is the reason why development patterns and a whole host of issues are they way are. Everyone wants the best-for themselves and their family and people have every right to pursue that. This whole notion of white flight from the city and schools is really sad and not called for. While whites aren't inherently racist, I think this may have been the thinking of some concerning schools-

"It's not that I don't want my children going to school with blacks or to a majority minority schools it's just I think b/c of the history of blacks in this country the caliber of students going to that schools won't be the best."

And why won't they be the best you ask?

"Well, it's hard to admit but b/c of de jure and de facto racism, people that looked like me in the past outlawed teaching blacks to read, write, vote etc. which let to a mostly uneducated and poor populous thus causing a vicious cycle to continue for generations. And while I know we're no longer in that day and time, I still in the back of my mind b/c of stereotypes, unfair as they may be, that I see on television portraying african-americans or blacks (I don't know what they like to be called) in a negative light as wild, criminals, crazy, lazy, and uninterested in education that it's hard for me to segregate myth from reality. While I know this is atlanta, ("the black mecca" as they call it) and there are a lot of successful blacks, it's just difficult for me when the rubber hits the road (deciding to put my child in a multi-ethnic, meaning not majority white school regardless of reviews) to trust that my child will be in a nurturing environment where they could achieve their best."

Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,516,440 times
And its quite funny to me.. mainly because there are quite a few areas in the Cascade, Camp Creek areas that can rival most neighborhoods from any of these other counties when it comes to safety.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,854,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
And its quite funny to me.. mainly because there are quite a few areas in the Cascade, Camp Creek areas that can rival most neighborhoods from any of these other counties when it comes to safety.
Probably true, and there are places in Cobb and Gwinnett that I would not walk around at night. It's not an absolute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or