Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM

87 posts, read 194,983 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I recently accepted a job offer requiring my wife and I to move to Atlanta. I have 90 days to move from my potential start date. I will spend most of my time traveling nationwide during the week (Monday through Thursday) and working downtown at 100ish Peachtree St on Fridays and days I'm not traveling. The wife will have to look for work once we settle in.

We are looking to rent for the first year and possibly make a purchase later. I'm originally from Birmingham, but have lived in Florida, etc. So I don't expect this to be a big adjustment. Spent a lot of time in Atlanta I'm somewhat familiar with the area although its ever evolving and most of that experience was clubbing LOL. I'm looking to be not too far from the city since I'm not sure where my wife will land a job.

We are in our late 20's, so we would like to be close to the city, but live somewhere quiet and safe (especially since I'm traveling).

Rent Budget is $900-1250 (I could pay more but need to stay conservative with the wife out of work temporarily)

Property: Looking for pretty nice sized 2 bed/2 bath apartment, condo, or townhome. At least 1300 sq ft. Would love to have a garage if possible, so I would most likely prefer a condo/townhouse. If anybody knows people who have homes/condos/townhomes for rent please pm me! I may also consider ProMove for an apartment if I do not find a condo/townhouse rental that fits my needs and/or budget.

Current Areas of Interest: Vinnings, Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Marietta, Roswell, Duluth, Alpharetta, Mabelton, Norcross, Tucker, Midtown, Buckhead

Read the moving sticky so it said to provide as much detail as possible, so hopefully I didnt type too much. Any advice would be welcomed and very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by soulcontroller; 05-24-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 05:39 PM

41 posts, read 117,800 times
Be careful when renting from private owners. I've know two people who have had to move quickly because the townhouse was foreclosed. They were paying the rent, but the owner wasn't paying the mortgage.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criv1 View Post
Be careful when renting from private owners. I've know two people who have had to move quickly because the townhouse was foreclosed. They were paying the rent, but the owner wasn't paying the mortgage.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criv1 View Post
I wonder how common it is to include something in the renter's agreement that calls for a penalty if the owner isn't paying the mortgage and lets the place go into foreclosure. I'm not familiar with the foreclosure process, but isn't it true that it takes a while for them to boot you out because of how long the foreclosure proceedings take?

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I'm looking to move to Atlanta, but want to rent for a year and would prefer a townhouse to an apartment.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I wonder how common it is to include something in the renter's agreement that calls for a penalty if the owner isn't paying the mortgage and lets the place go into foreclosure. I'm not familiar with the foreclosure process, but isn't it true that it takes a while for them to boot you out because of how long the foreclosure proceedings take?

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I'm looking to move to Atlanta, but want to rent for a year and would prefer a townhouse to an apartment.
Yeah thats what I'm thinking. For the prices I'm seeing I can get more for my money getting a townhome/condo it seems.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM

41 posts, read 117,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

One girl that I know told me the bank gave her 30 days notice and a choice of moving expenses or 3 months rent. Now it may be different from bank to bank because the other person had 10 days to move and no type of compensation was given. Both people I know had rentals managed by real estate companies.

As far as renting towhhouses/condos. You can get a real estate agent to help you at no cost to you.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
I recommend...

Druid Hill....is off 85, easy drive downtown
The Preserve at Briarcliff Apartments - 1570 Sheridan Road - Atlanta - EquityApartments.com 12:00:00 AM&MetroID=&FPID=73718&BID=3 &UID=3021

Vining....easy drive on 75 to downtown
http://www.equityapartments.com/geor...&MId=6/16/2010 12:00:00 AM&MetroID=&FPID=70916&BID=522&UID=5222

Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,822 times
sandy springs definitley me and my husband are moving to atlanta as well and sandy springs is a beautiful place to move very nice neighborhood and very diverse

Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 PM

thanks for the responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta