U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 5,309 times

Advertisements

I am 17 years old and I do want to go out of state. My two BEST friends approached me and asked me if I would go to Atlanta GA with them, because they want to go to a black college out there and they have great grades or what ever and want to apply only out there to as many black colleges as they can. I want to be a chef and I planned on going to Le Cordon Bleu, and I found out there is a Le Cordon Bleu in Tucker GA, so I thought that was awesome. I told them yes. My family is originally from the south but I have never been so this is a good chance to go out there and get my education and see where my family comes from, also they are really excited about experiencing black college life.

Here are my questions:

I have heard there are bad bad bad parts (Which there are in every city as well as Los Angeles) of Atlanta and I would prefer to move to a safe city with low crime.

How is Tucker since that is where I would be going to school?

Is it gay friendly ( I am gay)

Are some black colleges by Tucker? Will I be able to be close to my friends if they get accepted out there.

Is it close to downtown or the city? (I prefer to live in the city or as close to the city as possible)

Thanks you SO SO MUCH in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM

9,008 posts, read 16,163,011 times
Tucker is outside the City. The Colleges are in town. Most college require freshman from out of town to be in the dorms. Each college has it own rules for when you can move out into a apt. The atlanta area is generely Gay tollerent. There are some area that won't be but places where college ages go are ok. MARTA the Metro atlanta does run bus/trains. (not 24x7) so you can get into town to some nightlife (maybe crash in your friends dorm room). Most clubs are 21+ some are 18/19+ with college ID.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:30 PM

Thank you flyonpa

Old 05-27-2010, 03:56 PM

311 posts, read 723,823 times
don't have any advice on Tucker.....but let me warn you in advance...don't go to a school/area just because your friends go or are in the area...I had so many freshman colleagues drop out in the first year when I went to MY school and transfer just because they decided to follow their friends...they weren't really great 'friends" after the second year.......they didn't like the area, didn't like the other schools or programs in the area and left....I went to a black college (Howard U.) and from GA with friends in the colleges down there soo believe me when I tell you this lol

please ONLY move to ATL or any other city for your education because you REALLY want to for the next 4 years of your life and the caliber of the educational program; not because you want to be close to your friends...I know you already promised, but you really need to visit before you should fully commit...if they really love you, they'll stay in contact with you regardless even if you're 1000 miles away...mine did,I got a great education, landed in a city i liked, and added even more friends I don't think I would have met if I had followed my old friends.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 PM

I'll take that into consideration GaBison2007, that advice it very valuable to me! Thanks I feel like I want really do want to go to the ATL, but I will try and visit before I commit. Any other information on Tucker and my other questions will be much appreciated.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,410,948 times
Make sure you go to Lenox Square Mall on Saturday and Piedmont Park on Sunday afternoon/evening. You will feel at home...lol

Old 05-29-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Make sure you go to Lenox Square Mall on Saturday and Piedmont Park on Sunday afternoon/evening. You will feel at home...lol
What is it? lol what? You mean gay people?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:37 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,780,088 times
^Yes, that's what he meant.

Tucker is a close-in Northeast suburb of Atlanta. It is primarily a nice, middle-calss area, and not far from the city at all.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Yes, that's what he meant.

Tucker is a close-in Northeast suburb of Atlanta. It is primarily a nice, middle-calss area, and not far from the city at all.
Excellent Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or