Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 PM

46 posts, read 221,129 times

Advertisements

I am a transplant form NY. If our cars break down, we have access to the bus and train the get to work. We have no excuses. What happens if your car breaks down in ATL? How do people get to work? Do they have to rent a car? What happens if they decide to fix their car, do you not got to work until your car is fixed? I would love to hear your stories.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I have some one at work pick me up, or have the car repair place drop me off, and i get someone from work to drop me there at end of day. I can (haven't need to) but i can ride my bike to work and/or work from home

Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony200 View Post
I am a transplant form NY. If our cars break down, we have access to the bus and train the get to work. We have no excuses. What happens if your car breaks down in ATL? How do people get to work? Do they have to rent a car? What happens if they decide to fix their car, do you not got to work until your car is fixed? I would love to hear your stories.
You get it fixed. If you have to rent, you rent. If you have the option of MARTA or the CCT and don't mind the inconvenience of being without a car for a few days, you can use that option (I could) if you have it. You never not go to work for that. That is a good way to get fired.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:46 PM

126 posts, read 317,930 times
When my truck got hit, I was without a car for almost a week. The body shop I use is relatively close to my house, and there is a bus stop outside the body shop, so I just hop on a bus out there (or have one of my roommates bring me). As for work, I live 2 blocks from a MARTA station and work in Peachtree Center (when Im not traveling for work), so I just use MARTA. I guess I have it easy, but thats one of the reasons I live where I live.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Your question relies on the premise that people drive undependable vehicles that breakdown frequently. I think the first thing to do is keep your vehicle in good working order and do preventive maintenence so as not having to worry about surprise mechanic visits. If you don't do the small and inexpensive things, you are doomed to make the big, expensive, and time consuming repairs.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 PM

46 posts, read 221,129 times
What happens if you are not living close to the Marta or CCT?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Quote:
What happens if you are not living close to the Marta or CCT?
You act like a grown adult, and get what you need done. If that means rent, get a ride, walk, or whatever, you get it done. This is a very odd thread...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Your question relies on the premise that people drive undependable vehicles that breakdown frequently. I think the first thing to do is keep your vehicle in good working order and do preventive maintenence so as not having to worry about surprise mechanic visits. If you don't do the small and inexpensive things, you are doomed to make the big, expensive, and time consuming repairs.
Great advice.. Take care of your car, and it will take care of you...(in theory..)

I honestly believe for a family (hubby/wife and kids) living in the suburbs in the South, there should always be a 3rd car, a beater, if anything. Something cheap (to maintain and cheap on gas), affordable, and reliable (Civic, Accord, Camry, Corolla).

If the main car breaks down, it's not an inconvenience for anyone.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:23 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
We do the same thing that people in Upstate NY, Long Island, and Staten Island do

Old 05-28-2010, 05:33 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
It all depends on where you live and where you work.

Many of the surrounding counties have Xpress bus services to downtown (Xpress GA - Xpress Home). Fulton and Gwinnett have bus services that link up to Marta (along both the GA 400 corridor and Hwy 141 corridor). Dekalb and Fulton have extensive bus routes that link up with Marta. Yes it's inconvenient and yes it will take longer, but it is doable. If you don't work somewhere near Marta then you will have a more difficult time finding alternatives.

I used to use a repair shop that's in Chamblee and would drive me to Marta. But my service/repairs rarely took more than a day.

Atlanta doesn't have great mass transportation, but alternatives do exist. They may not be ideal in terms of schedule, route, or time, but they're available in a pinch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: