Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
3 cars just for the rare breakdown, wow. Doesn't seem like a good way to tie up your money (cost of car, insurance etc). Curious how this only applies to those living in the suburbs in the south. Why the south?

We've had this happen in the last few years a few times and my spouse and I shared a car one time (dropped off and picked them up) and another time got a ride from coworkers. Its not fun but its totally workable even if your not near transit.

For the families that can afford a beater, why not?

Basic insurance (PIP/PD) in the state of GA is relatively cheap, and having a car with no payments that you don't have to drive all the time doesn't end up costing much. I turn my own wrenches, so paying a mechanic has always been out of the question for me (I also own multiple cars, as hobbies).

And I mentioned the South, because Mass Transit systems in the South are not as well developed as they are in the Northeast. (In some cities/towns, they're non-existent). Hope this clarifies things.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
There are a couple of Toyota drivers who may have a slight disagreement with your assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Your question relies on the premise that people drive undependable vehicles that breakdown frequently. I think the first thing to do is keep your vehicle in good working order and do preventive maintenence so as not having to worry about surprise mechanic visits. If you don't do the small and inexpensive things, you are doomed to make the big, expensive, and time consuming repairs.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
There are a couple of Toyota drivers who may have a slight disagreement with your assertion.
You mean like the guy who faked the crash with his Prius to try and extort money? I own a Toyota product and have never had a moment's problem.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:

Easy there buddy..... (Mine have yet to break down, or accelerate without my consent )

Old 05-28-2010, 07:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony200 View Post
What happens if you are not living close to the Marta or CCT?
Get a good pair of shoes or a bike.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
This is indeed a weird thread. But anyway, from my home in solidly suburban north-east Cobb (I'm trying to indicate I'm not in a rural area by any stretch) it's more than six miles to either of the two nearest transit stops of any kind. (MARTA bus service on Alpharetta Highway or Cobb County Transit at Roswell Rd and Johnson Ferry). In my part of the suburbs, mass transit is really not "available in a pinch", it's just plain non-existent. If you rent or purchase a home around here, you're quite obviously signing up for a completely automobile-dependent lifestyle.

A side note on the effects of the auto-dependent lifestyle: My 16 year-old just recently got a driver's license and has been reveling in new-found freedom of movement in these early days of the school summer holidays. It's struck me that while at her age, I'd been independently going downtown, to the gym, the library, the movies, etc. by public transportation on a regular basis for at least a couple of years, teens around here are kept in a delayed state of dependency by the lack of public transit and the spread-out nature of the suburbs, until they are granted driving privileges.
None of mine got to drive without an adult until they were 18. A 16 year old with a drivers license is a funeral looking for a place to happen.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
Fair enough. But this would apply to most areas of the country, not just the south. There are even areas in the northeast where this would be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
And I mentioned the South, because Mass Transit systems in the South are not as well developed as they are in the Northeast. (In some cities/towns, they're non-existent). Hope this clarifies things.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 PM

Hmm... I was thinking more of the 37 unfortunate souls who owned a Toyota car.

Toyota deaths reported to safety database rise to 37 - USATODAY.com

But I guess as long you are not affected by the problem then as far as you're concerned it doesn't exist, eh Neil? I say this with all due respect, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You mean like the guy who faked the crash with his Prius to try and extort money? I own a Toyota product and have never had a moment's problem.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Easy there buddy..... (Mine have yet to break down, or accelerate without my consent )

Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Hmm... I was thinking more of the 37 unfortunate souls who owned a Toyota car.

Toyota deaths reported to safety database rise to 37 - USATODAY.com

But I guess as long you are not affected by the problem then as far as you're concerned it doesn't exist, eh Neil? I say this with all due respect, of course.
37 out of how many million? And please don't put words in my mouth. I just don't get hysterical and hyperbolic about something that may not even actually be the fault of the vehicle. Personally, I think you have to be a bit of an idiot for your floor mat to get stuck in your accelerator pedal, but that's just me. My dealer did something and replaced mine, even though I have never had a single problem. 37 out of how many million?

If you want to get upset about a product killing people, how many innocent people were killed with legally licensed handguns last year in the US? More than 37.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: