Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,044,657 times

Advertisements

That may be and the hype can be overdone but its still tragic. At the time I remember hearing some experts saying reports of perhaps cell phones and other devices interfering with the new computers they put on cars nowadays, not just with Toyotas but others as well and that the government had overlooked it in new car tests. Don't know if its valid but it seems within the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
37 out of how many million? And please don't put words in my mouth. I just don't get hysterical and hyperbolic about something that may not even actually be the fault of the vehicle. Personally, I think you have to be a bit of an idiot for your floor mat to get stuck in your accelerator pedal, but that's just me. My dealer did something and replaced mine, even though I have never had a single problem. 37 out of how many million?

If you want to get upset about a product killing people, how many innocent people were killed with legally licensed handguns last year in the US? More than 37.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,306,779 times
Thankfully because of progressive pro-consumer rights advocates like Ralph Nader who fought the good fight in the 50's & 60's, all we present day Americans have to worry about are 37 fatalities out of a million from car defects rather than 3,700 or 37,000 fatalities/casualties from automobile defects, amongst other flagrant corporate mistakes.

I count my blessings that Corporations are forced to adhere to liberal legislation like the National Traffic & Motor Safety Act. It gives folks like yourself the comfort and luxury of dismissing the automobile defect alarm bells as mere chicken-little prattling.

Also Toyota's cars had more additional defects than just the accelerator pedal sticking to the floor mat issue, like the mechanical sticking accelerator problem. Definitely not a hyperbole.

Just my humble observations, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
37 out of how many million? And please don't put words in my mouth. I just don't get hysterical and hyperbolic about something that may not even actually be the fault of the vehicle. Personally, I think you have to be a bit of an idiot for your floor mat to get stuck in your accelerator pedal, but that's just me. My dealer did something and replaced mine, even though I have never had a single problem. 37 out of how many million?

If you want to get upset about a product killing people, how many innocent people were killed with legally licensed handguns last year in the US? More than 37.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
If anyone can reasonably explain to me what Toyota defects and recalls and Ralph Nader have to do with the original question asked in the first post, then I'll reopen the thread. Otherwise....

(sound of another creeky door closing due to off topic hijacking by multiple posters)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: