U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,611 times

Advertisements

Seriously need some advice here ~

My husband was offered a transfer this morning to the Lithia Springs location of his company. I'll take any info you can give me on it!!!

We'll be looking to rent since we only plan on being in the area for a year before moving back to Louisiana. We have 4 kids (but schools are not important since we homeschool and plan on continuing that).

I'd love any advice on what area is good to live in since when I'm looking at rental listings I'm not sure what area is safe. I'm looking to spend no more than $900 - 100 for a rental~ no smaller than 3 bedrooms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 PM

642 posts, read 1,935,653 times
I wouldn't call any area unsafe as it's a pretty small town type od atmosphere but nevertheless the area is prettily regularly patrolled by the Douglasville PD and Douglas county sheriff's department. I did have one incident while lving there for about 8 months back in 2006 that I would have rather not experienced but that was it.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,764 times
I live near lithia springs .. douglasville area .. it is what it is . compared to other places crime is low. If you have a job you are 85% good. There are plenty of rentals by owner and thru re agencies because sales are slow. Do your homework ? ,call local law enforcement where you want to live and ask how many incidents occur in the area . dont move in any apartment complex right off thornton rd ,not wesley creekside , westfork , wesley hampstead , or any where near annawakee trails , house or apartment . I work for law enforcement and these areas are the most busy. good luck ..welcome to ga !

Old 05-29-2010, 02:12 PM

642 posts, read 1,935,653 times
I lived in Crestmark Apts not far from Thornton after first moving to Georgia and that was pretty quiet if you ask me. Well except the usual rude, ignorant neighbors with the music too loud. That sort of thing that goes along with apartment complex living.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 11,611 times
Thank you for all the input! We're still weighing our decision on the move in general, but the info here is helpful for me

Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times
Lithia Springs is not a real city. It was unincorporated a few years ago. Parts of it are in Douglas County and parts of it have been annexed by the City of Douglasville. It is fairly quiet but anybody that lives over here will warn you not to live anywhere near Sweetwater Creek because the thing floods everything around it- has happened twice in the past 10 years.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Lithia Springs is not a real city. It was unincorporated a few years ago. Parts of it are in Douglas County and parts of it have been annexed by the City of Douglasville. It is fairly quiet but anybody that lives over here will warn you not to live anywhere near Sweetwater Creek because the thing floods everything around it- has happened twice in the past 10 years.
If a house in the area didn't flood in 2009, though, it probably won't in the future because the rain event was off the scale in some areas:

Atlanta Floods Extremely Rare

Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 AM

16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
If a house in the area didn't flood in 2009, though, it probably won't in the future because the rain event was off the scale in some areas:

Atlanta Floods Extremely Rare
I tend to agree with that. If you didn't flood last time, you probably won't because 21 inches of rain in 2 days is quite rare here. That said, I do not agree that floods here are "rare". I have lived here since 1996 and seen at least 5 of them including Peachtree Creek in the city and twice with Sweetwater- the first being when Hurricane Ike flooded it and wiped out several bridges including Skyview Drive which cut us off from the Post Office.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:20 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I tend to agree with that. If you didn't flood last time, you probably won't because 21 inches of rain in 2 days is quite rare here. That said, I do not agree that floods here are "rare". I have lived here since 1996 and seen at least 5 of them including Peachtree Creek in the city and twice with Sweetwater- the first being when Hurricane Ike flooded it and wiped out several bridges including Skyview Drive which cut us off from the Post Office.
If you read the article, you would see that the headline actually refers to this:

"At some sites, the annual chance of a flood of this magnitude was so significantly less than 1 in 500 that, given the relatively short length of streamgauging records (well less than 100 years), the U.S. Geological Survey cannot accurately characterize the probability due to its extreme rarity," said Robert Holmes, USGS National Flood Program Coordinator. "Nationwide, given that our oldest streamgauging records span about 100 years, the USGS does not cite probabilities for floods that are beyond a 0.2 percent (500-year) flood."

and

"In Cobb County, Sweetwater, Noonday, Butler, and Powder Springs creeks flooded so severely that the annual chance of a worse event is far smaller than 0.2 percent (500-year) flood. On Sweetwater Creek near Austell, Ga., high-water marks showed a peak stage of 30.8 feet. The peak flow (31,500 cubic feet per second) was more than double the previous peak flow recorded at this site during the last 73 years. The previous peak, caused by the remnants of Hurricane Dennis in July 2005, was almost 10 feet lower at 21.87 feet."

The events in question were off the scale for the localities in which they occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta