U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 PM

30 posts, read 60,573 times

Advertisements

Are there any typical Memorial Day parades in Atlanta or the Atlanta area? I'm from up north in a small town where Memorial Day is typically celebrated with a big parade and celebrations. There is a special Mass (and other services, I"m sure - it's a Catholic town primarily) where veterans are honored and deceased veterans are also remembered and where flags are placed at the grave sites of all veterans in the cemeteries.

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be anything similar to that in Atlanta. Does anyone know of any neighborhoods that might have a similar celebration inside the perimeter? The only thing I can find inside Atlanta is the Braves baseball game celebrations. I'm feeling a little homesick for home which is why I"m asking this.

And why isn't Memorial Day a big deal here? Is it because of the Civil War? I ask this respectfully as I enjoy learning the history of Georgia, Atlanta, and the South. And I want to understand the area that is now my home.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 05:58 PM

13,136 posts, read 20,702,481 times
It does seem odd that no parade is planned for the city. There are some in surrounding areas though.

Memorial Day Weekend observances around Atlanta *| accessAtlanta

The Memorial Day parade in the small NJ town where I grew up was huge.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks - I guess when I read through those I didn't see parade mentioned.

Back home in PA the Memorial Day parade was the biggest (only I think) parade in town - and my house was on the parade route. Everyone seemed to march in it - Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, fire Trucks, veteran's groups, fireman, policeman, bands... I t was a nice way to start the summer. Like I said - just a bit homesick...

I remember though when I spent a summer in NC a few years ago that I was surprised that the small town didn't seem to celebrate it at all - there weren't even any flags in the cemetery. Labor Day was the big parade for them, it seemed.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:49 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,175,502 times
It's typically not a huge parade day here compared to some other places, though when you get to some of the smaller metro towns they sometimes schedule events.

The weather may have some impact this year, though. There's a 60% chance of thunderstorms every day this entire holiday weekend, and significant chances of storms all the way through NEXT Sunday, too.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,824 times
The only one in the whole metro area is in Dacula, Georgia. It's a great small-town parade with Scouts, classic cars, veterans, pageant queens, politicians, tractors, local church groups, businesses, etc. Lots of people throw candy. It's a fun time. It's OTP (outside the Perimeter), but come on out!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:09 PM

199 posts, read 556,684 times
there is one in Senoia at 2 pm. with a whole day of activities. (arts and crafts, antiques etc) great little town of about 2000 people. i am driving 150 miles to join them.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:09 PM

642 posts, read 1,972,118 times
There's a far greater chance of a Confederate deceased veteran's commemoration going over big.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:21 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,227,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgal2 View Post
Are there any typical Memorial Day parades in Atlanta or the Atlanta area? I'm from up north in a small town where Memorial Day is typically celebrated with a big parade and celebrations. There is a special Mass (and other services, I"m sure - it's a Catholic town primarily) where veterans are honored and deceased veterans are also remembered and where flags are placed at the grave sites of all veterans in the cemeteries.

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be anything similar to that in Atlanta. Does anyone know of any neighborhoods that might have a similar celebration inside the perimeter? The only thing I can find inside Atlanta is the Braves baseball game celebrations. I'm feeling a little homesick for home which is why I"m asking this.

And why isn't Memorial Day a big deal here? Is it because of the Civil War? I ask this respectfully as I enjoy learning the history of Georgia, Atlanta, and the South. And I want to understand the area that is now my home.

Thank you!
I don't think it has anything to do with the Civil War. It has more to do with the number of parades that the city DOES offer, and Memorial Day just doesn't score high on the list of parade holidays with most people. It's certainly an important holiday for remembering service people who have given their lives, but I'm not sure a parade is the only way to do that.

I think you'll find that Memorial Day parades are more popular in smaller towns than in large cities.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info on Dacula - that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! I'll check it out. I know that it would be more likely for small towns to have it - it just seemed like very very few surrounding Atlanta even had them.

The only reason that I mentioned the Civil War was that I had read in a few different sources that since Memorial Day was created the Grand American of the Republic (a Union veterans organization) in 1868 that towns like Vicksburg and some others did not celebrate it deliberately (and this was as recently as the 90s). I understand that life has moved on since the Civil War days, but I also read a quote that said that of native born Southerners, 1 in 4 had a direct descendant who had fought in the Civil War, whereas Northerners were obviously a much higher number. And so when it is your Great grand-dad and your grandpa's father/grandfather telling stories, it becomes much more of an intimate personal family experience when compared to those (like myself) who primarily learned it in school as history that occurred on US soil before some of my ancestors immigrated to the US.

Anyway - lol - long explanation for a quick thought.

I'm watching the National Memorial Day Concert on the Washington, DC Mall on PBS. If you get a chance, try to watch it - it is very moving as it relates personal stories of servicemen and women. If you miss it tonight - try to find it online to re-watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or