U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,801,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Clayton seems poised to become the next county to join into the Marta system. After recently losing C-Tran, folks there are likelier than ever to vote to bring needed mass transit back to their county.

Next up, Gwinett.
I hope that would vote to have it brought back, it should have been here all along. I hope that all of the core counties have the system, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I think any expansion of rail service is not going to happen quickly. My sense is that this is simply a means to bring back the bus service lost earlier this year. With the current budget situation, I would doubt that too many plans for capital projects are in the works.
It would be nice if it did but I understand that it can't be done in a snap of a finger. I do think that the CFPT's vision could become for real and this is just the start but it will take some time, of course. At least they're considering it which is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:37 PM

128 posts, read 159,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
If that's the case why haven't credit rating agencies like Standard & Poor's or Moody's downgraded the United States's debt rating? Apparently some folks out there still thinks that this country has the ability to pay its debt.

Maybe if our situation was more like Greece currently or Argentina early in the new millennium, I'd agree...
Well, this might not be entirely related to the OP, but moody's rating of our treasuries is very flawed. For the interim it seems that America might benefit from the Euro's debt issues, only because it has created a flight to Dollars. But, there are some unseen things that could pose a HUGE hazard to the US' balance sheets.

For starters, at the end of this year, our debt (public government, that is, and this includes both our deficit and unfunded social programs like medicare and social security, food stamps, etc..) will exceed our GDP for the first time. America currently has a debt ratio that surpassed our net worth, by well over 200%.

Secondly, beginning since this year and continuing until 2012, we will see a large amount of prime mortgages, such as Alternative A and Option Adjustable Rate Loans reset to where most borrowers (69%-75% of borrowers will likely default......and if that werent so bad, these loans, just like subprime loans have derivatives and OTC derivatives attached to them. If these bets go bad, the FED will have to liquidate trillions of dollars of toxic money onto the market.

Third, the food supply has been less than desirable for this year and the past year. I dont know about the rest of you city-data folk, but I shop at the kroger off Piedmont near Lenox, and Ive noticed how food has been steadily rising since last year. With a virulent winter, drought in many states, the massive gulf oil spill, food prices will most likely surge soon. Besides a short in domestic food supply, food is scarce worldwide. Also, food prices are fixed and must absorb inflation (AARP, TARP, healthcare, etc...). With higher food prices the financial system will implode upon itself. And I should mention that food commodities have a TON of derivatives placed on them, which will not be good if those bets come due.

Finally, many state and county governments are seriously in bad shape financially. California alone is at the risk of bankruptcy, and while America is not mimicing greece now, Cali sure is. How much longer can the terminator print up IOUs?

Also, since the US is "too big to default on its debt payments" helicopter Ben will most likely run the printing presses to compensate for a lack of domestic capital (which will also ruin US dollar trust) or the FED will raise interest rates to appease our "investors".....which will also send prices soaring on goods.

All the above.....also not assuming that no other natural distaters, natural phenomenons, or unexpected terrorist attacks take place this year. Any of which will already make bad situation just horrible.

With all the aforementioned, the only way I can any capital projects anywhere being financed is via foreign investment and intervention from the IMF....which is the most likely result of the coming calamity. I can easily see in the near future a global central bank, and the whole world using a new type of global currency, regulated via the IMF. This was discussed some time last year at a series of G20 meetings, more aptly described as Bretton Woods II.

All that to say, that while im GLAD that MARTA will finally make to area where its sorely needed, I dont see any capital projects taking place anytime soon unless its by the US gov(via foriegn loans), IMF investment directly using a new currency, or perhaps some overseas corporations such a Cintra of Spain just outright BUYING marta for sixpence. (dont doubt...several highways in America are already owned via foreign companies......)

Old 06-01-2010, 09:50 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,545,321 times
Expansion of MARTA into Clayton County would be a disaster for the areas already served by MARTA, especially places like Lenox or Perimeter. The last thing this region should do is give a county full of criminals the ability to buy a $2 ride up to Perimeter for some good old fashioned car break-ins, shoplifting, and loitering. MARTA already brings in enough riff raff - it needs to be expanded to areas that would serve the needs of commuters, not to a crime infested wasteland like Clayton County.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,516,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
If that's the case why haven't credit rating agencies like Standard & Poor's or Moody's downgraded the United States's debt rating? Apparently some folks out there still thinks that this country has the ability to pay its debt.
Not related to MARTA and Clayton County, but the US is de facto bankrupt. I'm not saying that in official terms we're bankrupt, but in the common sense application of the word, we are. The "full faith and credit of the United States" is the only thing that stands behind the billions in debt we now owe. We are running a trillion dollar fiscal deficits with no end in sight.

By any rational definition, if we're not bankrupt today, we're heading that way. Even if you took 100% of the wages of those who pay the federal taxes today, you could not close the current deficit and certainly not pay off the national debt. What would you call it if not bankrupt?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM

4,941 posts, read 3,990,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Expansion of MARTA into Clayton County would be a disaster for the areas already served by MARTA, especially places like Lenox or Perimeter. The last thing this region should do is give a county full of criminals the ability to buy a $2 ride up to Perimeter for some good old fashioned car break-ins, shoplifting, and loitering. MARTA already brings in enough riff raff - it needs to be expanded to areas that would serve the needs of commuters, not to a crime infested wasteland like Clayton County.
Can you please show me some statistics on how often a robbery or burglary takes place, and the criminal uses a MARTA train as his escape? What's he gonna do, stand on the platform and just wait? Of course not! If robbers really want to get to Perimeter Mall, they'll get a van or something and drive away, even though there's a MARTA station right next door. Oh wait a minute...that's already happened.

Quote:
Not related to MARTA and Clayton County, but the US is de facto bankrupt. I'm not saying that in official terms we're bankrupt, but in the common sense application of the word, we are. The "full faith and credit of the United States" is the only thing that stands behind the billions in debt we now owe. We are running a trillion dollar fiscal deficits with no end in sight.

By any rational definition, if we're not bankrupt today, we're heading that way. Even if you took 100% of the wages of those who pay the federal taxes today, you could not close the current deficit and certainly not pay off the national debt. What would you call it if not bankrupt?
We're getting off-topic now, but suffice it to say: Our national debt crisis is overrated.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM

788 posts, read 1,684,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Its thoughts like these that keep GA, and Atlanta back, ignorant, stupid thoughts like these that really get under my skin and make me angry.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Our national debt crisis is overrated.
Not in my book, buddy.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Our national debt crisis is overrated.
In order to fund capital projects and not bankrupt the state and the nation in real terms, we must get back to growing the economy, and also get back to a point where all citizens share in the cost of running the country. We have no hope of increasing funds for capital projects in our current state, unless we do what we did last Feb., borrow huge sums of money and add to our huge mound of debt. That is a recipe for disaster.

Adding more and new bureaucracies, increasing the financial responsibility of the government at all levels, and exempting most of the population from paying taxes won't get us there. The State of Georgia, like most states, is bound by law to balance the fiscal budget. That means that unlike the feds, Georgia can't just borrow or print money to satisfy its need to spend.

The national debt and fiscal deficit are becoming the biggest drag on our economy. Overrated? Just ask Neville Chamberlain about overrated.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 AM

4,941 posts, read 3,990,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not in my book, buddy.
Because? And notice I didn't say it isn't a problem, but that it's not as much of a catastrophe as the doomsday prophets claim.

Quote:
In order to fund capital projects and not bankrupt the state and the nation in real terms, we must get back to growing the economy, and also get back to a point where all citizens share in the cost of running the country. We have no hope of increasing funds for capital projects in our current state, unless we do what we did last Feb., borrow huge sums of money and add to our huge mound of debt. That is a recipe for disaster.

Adding more and new bureaucracies, increasing the financial responsibility of the government at all levels, and exempting most of the population from paying taxes won't get us there. The State of Georgia, like most states, is bound by law to balance the fiscal budget. That means that unlike the feds, Georgia can't just borrow or print money to satisfy its need to spend.

The national debt and fiscal deficit are becoming the biggest drag on our economy. Overrated? Just ask Neville Chamberlain about overrated.
Sounds like those are some things that won't work. What are some that will work?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
What are some that will work?
As related specifically to MARTA capital costs:

- Higher MARTA fares that shift more of the burden to the users of the service and away from reliance on sales tax and other taxes. It costs me almost $3 to drive 25 miles....time to make fares more realistic.

As related to government in general:

- Flat or fair tax system where all users of government services share in paying for the cost. Eliminate the current system where 50% of the population is tax exempt.

- Pare back government expenditures to a balanced budget by cutting those items not the responsibility of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or