U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM

9,553 posts, read 8,612,923 times

Advertisements

Those are good points. Certainly Midtown has improved in recent years and it's served by Marta. I think it's a matter of perspective, really. BBC's sister has a personal perspective on the matter, which I think we can all understand. I guess the real answer is, "who knows"? But, that's all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,544,901 times
I guess I should make it clear that I am not against MARTA or its expansion per say. I think MARTA has reached a balanced equilibrium in serving both middle-class white collar commuters and blue collar areas. Expanding into Clayton would completely throw that balance out of wack, while expanding rail to a place like Tucker wouldnt. And perhaps Perimeter has improved because the City of Atlanta is gentrifying and.is not as poor and crime ridden as it once was Its entirely possible the balance between nice areas and bad areas served by MARTA has been equalized since 1995.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:12 PM

734 posts, read 1,774,379 times
BBC:yeah I already read your post about your sister(sorry that happened) , before I made my post-but b/c of that incident you have a skewed view and your points for why expansion into clayton marta would be bad for existing areas doesn't hold water. To your own point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
The mall and local crime enforcement have since cracked down on the crime and it has reached a sustainable, tolerable equilibrium.
...having a marta station doesn't mean the demise of an area. Also if you look at areas that marta already serviced prior to the dunwoody station opening.
List of MARTA stations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia these areas in your estimation would be heavy crime areas which would definitely lead to the end of dunwoody If you're too lazy to click the link let me throw out some stations on the list College Park (run for the hills) east point(boo) East Lake (can we say little vietnam) Bankhead(full of murders) Oakland City(sounds scary) Look I'm not saying there won't be petty crime, (as I wrote on page 5 post #46 BTW)

Quote:
But extending MARTA to Clayton County could be the tipping point that turns Perimeter, or Lenox for that matter, into the next North DeKalb Mall. Any local who has frequented the mall for the past 20 years would agree.
That same tipping point that happened to Buckhead and Brookhaven right? those areas are just run-down no new development going on anywhere. I mean buckhead of 96 and brookhaven of 84 was so much better with fewer world class restaurants/shops and entertainment such a shame, I guess that will teach us not to expand marta
Quote:
I guess I should make it clear that I am not against MARTA or its expansion per say. I think MARTA has reached a balanced equilibrium in serving both middle-class white collar commuters and blue collar areas. Expanding into Clayton would completely throw that balance out of wack, while expanding rail to a place like Tucker wouldnt. And perhaps Perimeter has improved because the City of Atlanta is gentrifying and.is not as poor and crime ridden as it once was Its entirely possible the balance between nice areas and bad areas served by MARTA has been equalized since 1995.
Which is it BBC? You are such a walking, errr typing contradiction. Before the most recent marta expansions of a decade ago things should have already been, according to you imbalanced. What happened to existing areas? Seems to me nothing but more development sprouted out in those areas. Eww, who likes development thats yukky and so backwards thinking, why live in a world like that.?!?!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:32 PM

213 posts, read 362,675 times
Quote:
Well I guess I should have known a comment like this would arise. But of course, how could I forget, everything is about race. Even in a discussion where race or charges of racism have no relevance, they must be injected into the discussion anyway.

Obviously you harbor to the same old "we-are-always-the-victim-everyone-is-against-us" hypersensitive persecution complex similar to some of the other backwards people here on city data. FYI, not every discussion revolves around black people. Get over yourself.

But we all know the racial make up in Clayton County... And you surely could not be talking about caucasins...

Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,850,751 times
Many criminals have cars these day, if not they'll just steal one from someone. I doubt most take MARTA. I remember they busted a drug dealer's house not to far from a friend of mine and the people had Lexus trucks, Mercedes cars, and many other expensive vehicles that they owned. I ride MARTA and I've never seen anyone carrying a flat screen tv or other expensive appliance on there. First of all there are cameras and police officers at many MARTA stations so that wouldn't be the smartest place for a criminal to run to. It makes much more sense just to steal a car and load it up. I remember watching a show on TV that said about half of crimes are committed with stolen cars, so not bringing MARTA to an area is not necessarily going to stop crime.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,800,753 times
Clayton County has Lake City, Forest Park, Morrow, Jonesboro, Lovejoy, Riverdale, and part of College Park (some unincorporated areas too) and having MARTA would make it easier for someone in Lovejoy to travel to Morrow for example. It would also connect them to the rest of Atlanta. Most people in Clayton Co would rather go from Forest Park to Five Points or the West End...the people on this side of town aren't even thinking about knocking over gas stations on the North Side. It would be a good practical idea for MARTA to return to Clayton County, it could revitalize some cities in this county (win/win for both sides of town).

Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,989,015 times
Quote:
I thought you were in law school. Pay attention to the details. I never said anything about the area. North DeKalb Mall means North DeKalb Mall. Expansion of MARTA into Clayton could be the catalyst that causes a mall like Perimeter to transition into a mall that resembles North DeKalb, i.e. transition from upper class to lower class. Clearly MARTA doesnt go to N. DeKalb - no one said it did. But just because MARTA didnt cause the decline of N. DeKalb doesnt mean it cant cause the decline of Perimeter. Come on now - this is basic sufficiency vs. necessity.
MARTA has had a rail station next door to Perimeter Mall for years now, and I haven't noticed this decline yet. Hell, every time I go to Perimeter, I have to park in the parking deck if I want a decent spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
The "not in my backyard" argument was what prevented Marta's expansion into Cobb and other areas. The argument being that with Marta would come crime. I don't know if they were right or if they were wrong, but I think we can all agree (well, I think most of us can) that a healthy regional rail system - however far off into the future it may be - is desirable. Yes, I am sure that crimes have, in fact, been committed after the criminal took a Marta bus or train to the sight of crime; however, I have seen no data supporting the hypothesis that Marta has led to a statistically significant increase in criminal activity in the areas it serves. Is there any out there? Would be interesting to see.
Many calls for statistical evidence of MARTA stations increasing calls have been made. None have been answered.

Also noteworthy is that part of the safety discussion needs to start involving the mile-for-mile fatality rates of mass transit vs. cars. Without knowing the numbers off the top of my head, I can pretty safely guess which fatality rate is a LOT higher.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What's wrong with area around North DeKalb Mall?

It's amazing how people don't know the metro area well at all. North DeKalb Mall itself is outdated somewhat--due to when and how it was built...however, the area is nice, sought-after, and totally ripe for redevelopment.

The North DeKalb Mall area includes Shamrock, Emory, North Decatur, Medlock Park, Leafmore Hills, Laurel Ridge, etc.

And a MARTA rail line does not go the the North DeKalb Mall area...
I was about to say the say.I have Jewish friends that live like maybe 4blocks from the mall.Its an well kept older home among other well kept homes

Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
This doesnt do anything to address the fact that you really have no idea what you are talking about. Get your head out of the sand and do some brushing up on Atlanta history. Opposition to MARTA didnt come out of nowhere, and nor was it a result of some "racist whitey nonsense" that you ascribe to anything you disagree with or dont like.
Actually opposition to Marta came B-4 it was even completed.So yes it was unfounded.You had a bunch of backwater people who wanted Atlanta to become nothing like NYC,Philly,Boston and by allowing its poor black citizens to be able to roam around the city with ease.It is true that poverty correlates to crime.In those days blacks had much much less than whites.Especially in the South.Today its not AS true (still true on a much lesser extent,just as its true for women)

I will give you that a small part of your fears could arise,but not to the detriment of the entire area but just a slight uptick in crime.I mean why are they gonna go straight to Perimeter when Buckhead is before it!!
Even so.Once those areas stabilize and do not allow for rampant rowdiness from those who wish to seek trouble the area evidently becomes highly desirable.Buckhead is served by to transit stations and the values around there are among the highest in the state.

Boston,New York,Philadelphia,San Francisco have become cities that are still growing and having the highest real estate and salaries in the U.S.

If Atlanta is going to continue to cement itself further on the international stage,these changes are necessary.In other words:"No pain,No gain".

Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 PM

128 posts, read 159,460 times
Quote:
Hate to say it bub....but u still sound like a racist. Ill be sure to say a prayer for you tonight.

Racial issues have prevented this city from becoming all that it can really be. Some tend to think that having MARTA around a certain area would lead to lower property values and higher crime, but the proven evidence would say other wise. I can think of all the areas around MARTA stations, at least on the northside anyway, and the property values of these places are thru the roof. Areas around transit are more expensive and attractive to developers because there is functional use of that area. Let me say it again. Transit increases the FUNCTIONAL use of an area. I even know of some mostly black parts of Dekalb like Stone Mtn and Lithonia who bought into the same lie that MARTA would bring lower values and higher crime. Not true at all. Bad investment and not raising your kids properly brings crime to ANY area. Just look at how many drug busts occur OTP? I can honestly say, from formerly hangin around folks that are heavy in the dope game if u want great dope for low prices and high quantities, u dont go to the East side or the SWATS or even Clay Co......u go str8 to Gwinnett or Cobb. Between these local dopebois and the mexican mafia the whole Northside is sown up with Illegal activites...none of which had to do with Marta.

But back to the OP. MARTA is sorely needed in ClayCo, due to Atl's policy of displacing poorer residents (mostly blacks that have been disenfranchised by the state and country) and just dumping them on the southside, we now have a situation where those in Clayco, poor or not, both black AND white, cannot get to work to provide for themselves. These are taxpayers Im referring to. I know personally friends of mine who are now jobless due to the lack of transit and the fact that these are income tax payers to the state I feel as if it is VERY much the states' obligation to fulfill their financial obligation to the residents of Clayton Co.

Anything less is silently a form of state sponsored apartheid. When will Atl get past its racial issues to become the city that it intends to be? The city that outsiders view it as? I feel as if their are some natives that wish Atl never grew from what it used to me.....a small southern one horse town. I mean c'mon....that what Atl used to be...right? Ive seen the photos from my family and atltimemachine.com ......this city, while a very nice city for years, was just a medium to small southern city in the middle of a state chock full of rednecks and peanut farmers. (no disrespect b/c farming is a VERY honorable profession that needs to make a comeback in this America).

So Cobain, dude u need to chill. ur words label u as something u might not want to be known as on here....a BIGGOT!!!!

And for your benefaction good sir, Im far from backwards and have alot more on the ball than you could ever hope to have. Id watch whom u call backwards or sensitive b/c its those same folk in my generation that will one day have to foot the bill for YOUR social security and health care.

That is all.........

smh........why does Atl have to be in such a region full of racists and bigots? And the irony is that these same folk have the nerve to call themselves Christians....lol the nerve.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or