Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What's wrong with area around North DeKalb Mall?

It's amazing how people don't know the metro area well at all. North DeKalb Mall itself is outdated somewhat--due to when and how it was built...however, the area is nice, sought-after, and totally ripe for redevelopment.

The North DeKalb Mall area includes Shamrock, Emory, North Decatur, Medlock Park, Leafmore Hills, Laurel Ridge, etc.

And a MARTA rail line does not go the the North DeKalb Mall area...
I thought you were in law school. Pay attention to the details. I never said anything about the area. North DeKalb Mall means North DeKalb Mall. Expansion of MARTA into Clayton could be the catalyst that causes a mall like Perimeter to transition into a mall that resembles North DeKalb, i.e. transition from upper class to lower class. Clearly MARTA doesnt go to N. DeKalb - no one said it did. But just because MARTA didnt cause the decline of N. DeKalb doesnt mean it cant cause the decline of Perimeter. Come on now - this is basic sufficiency vs. necessity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I thought you were in law school. Pay attention to the details. I never said anything about the area. North DeKalb Mall means North DeKalb Mall. Expansion of MARTA into Clayton could be the catalyst that causes a mall like Perimeter to transition into a mall that resembles North DeKalb, i.e. transition from upper class to lower class. Clearly MARTA doesnt go to N. DeKalb - no one said it did. But just because MARTA didnt cause the decline of N. DeKalb doesnt mean it cant cause the decline of Perimeter. Come on now - this is basic sufficiency vs. necessity.
You're just digging yourself further into a hole now.

And trying to sound intelligent on a forum/thread by resorting to "law-like speak"--revealing intellectual insecurity, sophomoric behavior, and limitations.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You're just digging yourself further into a hole now.

And trying to sound intelligent on a forum/thread by resorting to "law-like speak"--revealing intellectual insecurity, sophomoric behavior, and limitations.
This doesnt do anything to address the fact that you really have no idea what you are talking about. Get your head out of the sand and do some brushing up on Atlanta history. Opposition to MARTA didnt come out of nowhere, and nor was it a result of some "racist whitey nonsense" that you ascribe to anything you disagree with or dont like.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
The "not in my backyard" argument was what prevented Marta's expansion into Cobb and other areas. The argument being that with Marta would come crime. I don't know if they were right or if they were wrong, but I think we can all agree (well, I think most of us can) that a healthy regional rail system - however far off into the future it may be - is desirable. Yes, I am sure that crimes have, in fact, been committed after the criminal took a Marta bus or train to the sight of crime; however, I have seen no data supporting the hypothesis that Marta has led to a statistically significant increase in criminal activity in the areas it serves. Is there any out there? Would be interesting to see.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
This doesnt do anything to address the fact that you really have no idea what you are talking about. Get your head out of the sand and do some brushing up on Atlanta history. Opposition to MARTA didnt come out of nowhere, and nor was it a result of some "racist whitey nonsense" that you ascribe to anything you disagree with or dont like.

Projecting much?

Everyone on here already knows about you, bro.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
BBC as ansley park and aries already stated we all know the history of marta. The reason for non-expansion had little to do with the publicized county tax but the undercurrent of racism and the "not in my backyard" argument. We all know that marta should be expanded and that transportation issues have been a big hindrance to the progress of the region. Has there been petty crime as a result of marta in certain areas? probably so, but I don't believe the stats would justify not expanding marta. Lets not subscribe to the throwing the baby out with the bath water argument. Having several forms of transportation for a citizenry is vital to the quality of life in a region. We already know that Atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the country and the toxicity index of the city is through the roof, yet the city has never gotten any type of cooperation from the state whatsoever unless very recently (wonder why?) on transit issues. I hope marta and the beltline project really take off in this decade b/c the region for the aforementioned reasons really needs it.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
Uh, aren't there enough of the "wrong kind of people" served by MARTA already to have caused the decline of Perimeter Mall, if such a thing was likely?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:15 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
^lol right. If anything perimeter mall and the area around it has become better and more upscale.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Im not re-posting duplicate responses because you two were too lazy to read the whole thread. Go back and read my post, #33, on page 4.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
^lol right. If anything perimeter mall and the area around it has become better and more upscale.
Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta