U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-29-2010, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,527,425 times
Reputation: 3484

Advertisements

Clayton County to poll interest in MARTA *| ajc.com

For those of you who love to slam the Gov., he signed a bill calling for a non-binding MARTA vote this summer and then a binding referendum in Nov. If passed, Clayton County would be added to MARTA and would charge the 1% MARTA tax.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM
 
1,588 posts, read 2,424,229 times
Reputation: 1389
Clayton seems poised to become the next county to join into the Marta system. After recently losing C-Tran, folks there are likelier than ever to vote to bring needed mass transit back to their county.

Next up, Gwinett.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 03:12 AM
 
20 posts, read 42,376 times
Reputation: 16
This is great for clayton and Marta. I hope the citizens of the county approve it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,463 posts, read 4,117,786 times
Reputation: 2162
This is good. Not great, but good. Gotta start somewhere, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Clayton County to poll interest in MARTA *| ajc.com

For those of you who love to slam the Gov., he signed a bill calling for a non-binding MARTA vote this summer and then a binding referendum in Nov. If passed, Clayton County would be added to MARTA and would charge the 1% MARTA tax.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2010, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,950 posts, read 3,998,611 times
Reputation: 2760
And it would be relatively straightforward to extend MARTA into Clayton County. There's already a freight rail line that heads down that way, splitting off from right about the East Point station, so a rail line could follow parallel tracks. Or if that isn't doable, they could just use those tracks for the metro area's first ever commuter rail line.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,527,425 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
And it would be relatively straightforward to extend MARTA into Clayton County. There's already a freight rail line that heads down that way, splitting off from right about the East Point station, so a rail line could follow parallel tracks. Or if that isn't doable, they could just use those tracks for the metro area's first ever commuter rail line.
I think any expansion of rail service is not going to happen quickly. My sense is that this is simply a means to bring back the bus service lost earlier this year. With the current budget situation, I would doubt that too many plans for capital projects are in the works.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,950 posts, read 3,998,611 times
Reputation: 2760
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I think any expansion of rail service is not going to happen quickly. My sense is that this is simply a means to bring back the bus service lost earlier this year. With the current budget situation, I would doubt that too many plans for capital projects are in the works.
Yeah, any rail expansion in the near future would almost certainly have to be federally-funded. I wonder what the prospects of bus expansion look like, say, by the year 2014.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,527,425 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Yeah, any rail expansion in the near future would almost certainly have to be federally-funded.
Last I checked, the federal government was bankrupt. I don't think much funding is coming from them, unless we either borrow it or jack up taxes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,950 posts, read 3,998,611 times
Reputation: 2760
Hey now, that won't stop those earmarks from flowing.

Seriously, though, if they're gonna spend money, they might as well spend it on something worth the while.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,463 posts, read 4,117,786 times
Reputation: 2162
If that's the case why haven't credit rating agencies like Standard & Poor's or Moody's downgraded the United States's debt rating? Apparently some folks out there still thinks that this country has the ability to pay its debt.

Maybe if our situation was more like Greece currently or Argentina early in the new millennium, I'd agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Last I checked, the federal government was bankrupt. I don't think much funding is coming from them, unless we either borrow it or jack up taxes.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top