Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,015 times

Advertisements

I'm a single male in my 20's. I've lived in Georgia my whole life.

I work in Macon, and I have a six-figure salary. I like my job.

However, Macon is very unappealing to me, and I don't want to live there.

I would like to live in Atlanta. Atlanta has many single, young, well-educated girls my age, and there is always something going on.

Finding a similar job in Atlanta would be very difficult, although not impossible. If I did manage to find one, though, my salary would drop some (although not dramatically), and it's very likely that the new job would be *much* more stressful--potentially so stressful that I'd be worried about getting burned out and not being able to tolerate it any more.

As you can see, I'm faced with a dilemma.

I'm considering moving to Atlanta's south side, and just commuting down to Macon to work.

I'm willing to drive an hour one-way. I would consider commuting as far as 1.5 hours one-way, but only if that extra 30 minutes allows me to live in a much better area.

I'm thinking of Clayton County. However, according to these forums, this is not a particularly desirable area. Then again, it can't possibly be much worse than Macon.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this a reasonable plan? If so, are there any areas on Atlanta's south side that might be good for someone like me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 06:35 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Here's a previous thread---go to post #3 and read 'Aries' response. You could DM her---she knows a lot about many areas of Atlanta and I'm certain would have some suggestions for you.

>>>>>>>>>
South of Atlanta -- new urban-ish neighborhoods? airport area?

I'm certain there are many who can discuss travel time and routes with you better than I can but that would be a tiring daily commute twice a day ---Atlanta to Macon.

You might want to start a thread in the Atlanta forum--maybe someone would have better ideas.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapist View Post

I would like to live in Atlanta. Atlanta has many single, young, well-educated girls my age, and there is always something going on.

Finding a similar job in Atlanta would be very difficult, although not impossible. If I did manage to find one, though, my salary would drop some (although not dramatically), and it's very likely that the new job would be *much* more stressful--potentially so stressful that I'd be worried about getting burned out and not being able to tolerate it any more.

I'm considering moving to Atlanta's south side, and just commuting down to Macon to work.

I'm willing to drive an hour one-way. I would consider commuting as far as 1.5 hours one-way, but only if that extra 30 minutes allows me to live in a much better area.

I'm thinking of Clayton County. However, according to these forums, this is not a particularly desirable area. Then again, it can't possibly be much worse than Macon.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this a reasonable plan? If so, are there any areas on Atlanta's south side that might be good for someone like me?
I grew up and Warner Robins.My parents moved the family in Atlanta area in my high school years.Actually in Clayton County in the early 1990's.My parents moved back to W.R.(they still own their ClayCO home,they use it for weekends in ATL or for family that visits from out of state.) again just 3 years ago to retire.I have a home Down-town ATL.LOVE IT!!

ALL of Clayton County is not bad.Not even the majority.Many people have never even been there but talk as if they know.If you have no kids in school.Then Clayton County is fine.There are some great neighbourhoods where if you want to be in a house you could live quite comfortably.(renting or buying),I would suggest either Ellenwood ,or theFairview area that borders Henry and Dekalb Counties,if you want to be closer to Atlanta,avoid Forest Park and the NORTH part of Riverdale.The are closer to Fayetteville is cool.But Riverdale is SO congested.

Morrow is quite nice.Clayton State University is there.Crime is not high enough to worry but not exactly low either.The government there is actually one of the best run in the region and the state.They run a tight ship.Many older neighborhoods with well kept yards.The Mall area is also growing.

Gerogia Trend Article on Morrow:

Quote:
In Clayton County, the promise of commuter rail has become "a drawing card for the area," says Kathryn Lookofsky, Jonesboro Downtown Development and Historical Preservation director. "People who wouldn't have considered Jonesboro before are starting to pay attention. We've been off the radar for some time, but there is a lot of potential here." The city has approved plans for a new neighborhood in walking distance to the rail stop and is using an LCI (Livable Centers Initiative) grant to improve downtown and draw mixed-use development.

Morrow's station would be near I-75 and Clayton State University. As a result, the city is already swimming in new development: Twinn Creeks at Southlake is a $200 million entertainment complex with a National Museum of Commercial Aviation (featuring six full-sized aircraft) and a 70,000-square-foot semipro ice rink; the Global Trade Market is a $100 million international trade district going up adjacent to Twinn Creeks. These are expected to draw high-rise development in the 10- to 12-story range, says Grant Wainscott, Morrow Economic Development Director. Gateway Village, which includes the National and State Archives, CSU and the Commuter Rail Station, adds another $200 million in investment to the mix.

"It's actually difficult to measure," Wainscott says of the investment pumping into the city. "But it's around half a billion right now, with $140 million already in the ground." The city is also planning a new park and parking deck, to draw "six-story mixed use around the station," he adds. And the city is instituting a series of golf cart paths, in a nod to Peachtree City's successful path network.

Personally I think people are sleeping on that area.I was just around there 2 weeks ago and there is a lot of development going on STILL.

I think you might like the Mount Zion area the best.Everything is there at your convenience Just off the interstate.Many decent places to stay as well.You see a lot of young professionals.

Even though I as a single male would not move back there unless I had a great job.I think Macon is okay but it has a ghetto-country vibe that many people not from there can do with out.I could do a loft downtown near Cherry and Mulberry Streets.Thats the ONLY part of Macon I would consider.You would bump in to more youthful well travelled people who are looking for some urbanity like your self.

Another option if you stayed closer would be in Warner Robins.Still boring and family oriented but with the HUGE Air Force Base there you would be more likely to meet people in age group easier.Plus W.R. is more of a suburban feel without a really big city nearby.Its clean,the people are better educated,and much lower crime.Its NOT a substitute for Atlanta,but its an Alternative to actually living in Macon.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,981 times
Default south Clayton County or Henry County

I grew up in Locust Grove; lived in Morrow for 3 years while working in Stockbridge; now I live in McDonough and work in the south Hapeville/Forest Park area. All of these areas are right on 75.

If you decide to move to Atlanta's south side and commute to Macon, I would suggest south Clayton County or Henry County over north/central Clayton.

My experience in Morrow was not great. I had an apartment near Clayton State. I experienced a good deal of crime during my time there. Like another commenter said, it's not exactly high but it's not exactly low either. Too high for my liking though. During my time there, 2005-2008, my car was broken into twice, and then later my car was totaled when I was on Rex Road--I was hit by someone in a stolen car being chased by cops.

There are nicer pockets in north/central Clayton County like the other commenters have mentioned, but in my opinion they are shrinking as the worse ones grow. Morrow is considered one of the better areas in north/central Clayton but I would still avoid it, especially when you can afford to live in a nicer, safer area. As far as the Mount Zion area of Morrow, yes there are lots of commercial businesses there, but many of them are closing up. Drive down Mt Zion Pkwy and you'll notice that half those shopping malls are empty now. This decline began happening before the recession, while I was living up there. The area has lost a lot of business to the Jonesboro Rd area in McDonough (Exit 221). But yes also the recession certainly hasn't helped either.

However to the city of Morrow's credit, they are really trying hard to revitalize the town through that town center development project near the mall (can't think of what it's called). So the area might pick up , but overall I'd say there are nicer areas. Jonesboro, Lake Spivey, and Lovejoy - all in south Clayton - are all nicer than Morrow in my opinion.

I like living in McDonough. Getting on 75 isn't the pain that it is in Morrow or Locust Grove. It sound like you should be able to afford the Eagles Landing McDonough area. It's a very nice area, nice houses, low crime, country clubs, upper middle class. Like Lake Spivey but newer, I think. I'm not rich so that's just an impression I have, ha. I would highly recommend you look into that area though. Eagles Landing is Exit 224. Also it's close to Jonesboro Rd Exit 221 which has lots of shops. Traffic to the west of 75 on exit 224 can be congested in the afternoons (and I'm sure in the mornings as well) but they are working currently on widening that road (Eagles Landing Pkwy).

Locust Grove is nice (of course I have to say that right, it's my hometown) and there are some nice houses and the crime is low, but it can be a pain to get onto 75 in the mornings due to the congestion on Bill Gardner Pkwy, which is only going to get worse once the new Walmart opens on that exit. Also living in Locust Grove you'll likely find yourself driving to McDonough a lot to get the things Locust Grove doesn't have (restaurants, shopping, groceries if you don't like Ingles)...

Hope this helps...

Old 06-06-2010, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,015 times
I just wanted to tell y'all thanks for the responses. This is a tremendous help.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:49 PM

197 posts, read 204,801 times
I know this is an old thread but if i were in the OP’s situation, i’d buy a fuel efficient car like a Prius and drive the approximately 1 hr 20 minutes to and from Macon to live in Midtown Atlanta.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:05 PM

104 posts, read 61,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
I know this is an old thread but if i were in the OP’s situation, i’d buy a fuel efficient car like a Prius and drive the approximately 1 hr 20 minutes to and from Macon to live in Midtown Atlanta.
I don't mind having this debate in a decade-old thread but seriously?

I worked remotely previously, but my 10-15 minute ebike commute has been a game changer since I started a new gig. I will never go back to any job that isn't remote or I can't bike to within 30 minutes.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:41 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
For any future inquiries about working in Macon but wanting the amenities of a bigger city, move somewhere within Downtown Macon (lower cost of living and Macon has a better urban core than any Georgia city outside of Savannah or Atlanta), and take the hour trip to Atlanta when an event is going on. Macon is close enough to access pretty much anywhere from Downtown to Perimeter in less than 2 hours depending on time of day. If Atlanta were as development heavy to its south as the north side is Macon would likely be in the metro area.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:34 PM

197 posts, read 204,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
I don't mind having this debate in a decade-old thread but seriously?

I worked remotely previously, but my 10-15 minute ebike commute has been a game changer since I started a new gig. I will never go back to any job that isn't remote or I can't bike to within 30 minutes.

Small cities, especially small cities in the bible belt are so unappealing to me that i would actually suffer through that commute if i were in the long gone by now OP's situation.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:21 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapist View Post

I suggest Eagle’s Landing. Very nice community on the Southside and only 63 miles to Macon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta