U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:18 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,153,082 times

Advertisements

Just want to hear from people living in both as to why they like it there and which they prefer. If we move to Dunwoody it will hopefully be closer in to SS as that's where we are both working. Looking for neighborhood with a pool so all advice will be welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 05:51 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,065,161 times
The part of Dunwoody that is closest to Sandy Springs is in Fulton County and is part of the city of Sandy Springs -- so I think you are kind of comparing apples to apples. However, depending on where in Sandy Springs you are working, some parts of Dunwoody (DeKalb) might not be to bad of a commute.

Most neighborhoods either have a pool or have access to a pool in a nearby neighborhood.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,785,191 times
Basically anywhere in Dunwoody will still be a nice commute to Sandy Springs. The best bet would likely be either someplace around D'woody Village or the Fulton area of "Dunwoody" which is Sandy Springs (ie, just across D'woody Club Dr., or over near P'tree Dunwoody Rd.) Since your commute will be negligible regardless, just look for the best home/community. Like LMM said above, in this area it seems like maybe every other or third neighborhood has a swim/tennis club, and they are usually pretty relaxed in terms of letting neighboring families join b/c of this.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 AM

Thanks so much. We looked at a really nice neighborhood called Redfield but I cannot believe how much people are asking for their homes compared to the rest of Dunwoody! What gives??

Old 06-18-2007, 09:22 AM

Redfield is the "in" subdivision right now...can't really explain it. Having grown up in the area, the homes there were always more expensive, but I would have thought they would have evened out, since they are now basically just the typical 70's and 80's era D'woody homes like everywhere else here. Not sure why it is valued higher than others. It could possibly be that, due to being SOMEWHAT newer, it is one of the few neighborhoods in Dunwoody that has that "new" subdivision feel to it - ie, all the houses are fairly uniform looking and most everyone's yards are manicured very well (maybe they have a separate HOA there?). You may want to check out Wyntercreek, which also is a swim/tennis community and is just around the corner off of Roberts Rd. Slightly older homes, and you may need to use some sweat and $ to update, but great location (near D'woody Park, Austin Elem, D'woody village), nice size lots, and private. Even these go for $500k+, though. I feel your pain, my wife and I just went through this exercise in late Winter, finally finding a house in Mill Glen for $380k which needs alot of work. A far cry from the $70k my mom and dad paid back in 1976 for their D'woody home!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 AM

Yeah, I drove through Wyntercreek too. It's really crazy how all of those low ceilinged 'five four and a doors' can command such prices. oh well, guess that's real estate. Maybe we'll get lucky and find someone who really wants to move!
Meantime, i'll keep my search going. Gotta have the pool though. This summer is quite oppressive. Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:54 AM

It is insane, but odds are they are not going to ever go down. Just when Dunwoody appeared to tire out as merely a bedroom community along the lines of an East Cobb, they took it to another level with the adjacent explosion in "Perimeter Center" which did not even exist 10-15 years ago. Add that to the re-packaging of Perimeter Mall and the updating of "the Village" and I don't foresee things slowing down price wise anytime soon. As opposed to other suburbs of Atlanta, Dunwoody has actually become what is known as an "edge city" and thus, an entity of it's own somewhat independent of Atlanta.

Your best bet is to try to find a totally un-updated 70's era home in your prime area, and low ball them. A lot of people are lazy and simply do not want to buy a fixer upper, even though you can save A LOT of money doing it this way. Even something as simple as stripping the ceilings of their "stomp finish" and putting in a new kitchen and update bathrooms can double your investment in these fixes. True, the 8' ceilings are going to have to stay, but you get used to them and it's WAY easier to paint trim! I've seen some people make over their homes into incredible show-pieces...even crappy split-levels...all it takes is some vision and patience.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:00 AM

Thanks, Spacelord. Sounds like you know your stuff. I'm more than fine with a fixxer upper. I kind of like the challenge actually. As long as my kids can run around and meet others and we can gather at a pool somewhere, I'm happy. Will definitely have to get over the low stiple(sp?) ceilings, especially when coming from Smyrna which, IMO, is ridiculously cheap and great. Too bad our commute doesn't support it. hey, if anyone wants to buy a house in Smyrna, PM me!!! lol.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 AM

No problem. I did not mean to insinuate, by the way, that you were lazy with regard to my fixer upper comment (in case you took it that way...I was rereading my post) - I'm referring to the people who pay a premium for renovated houses, when they, too, could do the same thing for much less than that mark up they pay b/c someone else went through the hassle.

The change is tough - I am moving from a Wieland townhome built in 2005 with high ceilings, a laundry chute, a MASSIVE master bath, etc., and the adjustment is tough. There is something cool, though, about taking something old and making it yours (kind of like the christmas tree in the Peanuts x-mas special from way back). Good luck!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:35 AM

Thanks...and no, I didn't think you were insinuating at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or