Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM

87 posts, read 256,633 times

Advertisements

PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
1. I live in Orlando, FL
2. Puerto Rican
3. Master's Degree in Guidance Counseling
4. 33 years old.
5. Gay single male.

I AM LOOKING FOR...
1. Accessibility to a reliable and safe mass transit system.
2. Controlled level of crime.
3. Liberal or Centrist tendency.
4. Gay friendly.
5. Hispanic friendly.
6. Urban NON SPREAD area.
7. Variety of nigtlife options, cultural and social events.
8. Plenty of counseling related employment opportunities.
9. Fairer salaries for a person with a master's degree.
10. Fair cost of living for a middle class worker.
11. A tolerable weather is important, but not essential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM

23,422 posts, read 44,032,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmover View Post
1. I live in Orlando, FL
2. Puerto Rican
4. 33 years old.
5. Gay single male.

I AM LOOKING FOR...
4. Gay friendly.
5. Hispanic friendly.

I think the things highlighted here could be found in intown Atlanta; those things not highlighted are somewhat difficult to find at this point in time...at least from what I gather from other posters on this forum looking for similar employment.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:08 PM

16,673 posts, read 29,486,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmover View Post
1. I live in Orlando, FL
2. Puerto Rican
4. 33 years old.
5. Gay single male.

I AM LOOKING FOR...
4. Gay friendly.
5. Hispanic friendly.
Also take a look at the link below and then post more information on this thread that you started:

Moving to atlanta soon? Read this first

Old 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM

16,673 posts, read 29,486,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
[/b] I think the things highlighted here could be found in intown Atlanta; those things not highlighted are somewhat difficult to find at this point in time...at least from what I gather from other posters on this forum looking for similar employment.
Agreed.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 AM

32 posts, read 76,970 times
Quote:
4. Gay friendly.
5. Hispanic friendly.

Miami is the perfect spot for these five requisites. It is my home town, and the South Beach area sounds fairly suitable for your needs.

Last edited by MiamiMami; 05-11-2010 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 AM

364 posts, read 1,111,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzSparks View Post
Miami is the perfect spot for these five requisites. It is my home town, and the South Beach area sounds fairly suitable for your needs.
I would agree with the numbers selected.

These two you will have a huge problem, the difference in salaries with So Fla and other places is they pay you in "sunshine". Do not overlook them. I currently am looking to move out of Florida for these reasons. Though home prices have come down it is still a high property tax area which I find to be the most brutal and unfair of all taxes.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 24,234 times
Default Also thinking of moving from Orlando to FTL/Miami/Atlanta

What a strange coincidence as I just returned to Orlando from Miami/Fort Lauderdale area this weekend looking to see if I might want to move to that area as well! I also have a Master's degree in my field and although I do make a decent living here in Orlando, the high cost of housing, property taxes, and utilities is one main reason that I want to move out of the area.

I went down to SE Florida looking for decent neighborhoods that are affordable and, if possible, also gay-popular or at least gay-friendly. I was really disappointed to find though that so many of the "nicer" neighborhoods down there are way too expensive... like $400k+ for a simple 3/2 ranch house with a small yard. I checked out Wilton Manors but it seems this area is mostly for gay men in their 50s or older.

I also stopped by SoBe (South Beach) while I was there. It was horribly packed with young str8 people running around zigzagging their rented scooters thru traffic and making lots of noise. There were lots of signs for rappers performing at several of the clubs there in SoBe this weekend. It felt to me that SoBe has become very hetero-centric and VERY touristy. Plus, the condos there are still quite pricey. To use an analogy... would you want to live in a condo on I-Drive with 10 times as many tourists?

I've been to Atlanta several times and the area around Midtown is gorgeous and super-close to many of the businesses/offices downtown. You can get a super-chic condo/loft for like a third of what a small condo would run you in SoBe. Plus, if you want to live a little further out... say 15-20 minutes from the "gay" area in Midtown, then you can get a very nice house with a big yard for a very cheap deal (as compared to Miami or Orlando). Still, Midtown is the center of the gay universe for ATL. I've seen guys walking hand in hand in the park and their pride parade gets something like 350,000+ people to attend each year. (I rarely see gay men walking hand in hand with their boyfriends or partners here in Orlando.)

Atlanta also has four seasons, so you get a little bit of the winter but you also get both a fall and spring season with the mountains closeby for hiking trips. Northern Georgia is really beautiful!

The only downside to Atlanta that I can think of is that there are probably not too many Puertorriquenos (although there is supposed to be a large community of Hispanics clustered into one area). Still, if you prefer to only date Puertorricquenos or other Hispanic men, this could be more of a challenge for you in someplace like Atlanta versus cities here in Florida. I know if I move to Atlanta, I will surely miss being around Puerto Rican and other Hispanic cultures and people... not to mention my monthly fix of pernil, arroz con gandules, y habichuelas.

I hope this helps!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:49 AM

562 posts, read 1,789,431 times
While I am not gay, I did live in philly for 4 years, and now have lived in atlanta for 2 years.

Pros of Philly:
Close to NYC, DC, Etc
Fantastic Restaurants, nightlife, musuems

Cons:
Weather
Crime
Prices in general- taxes, property prices

Pros of Atlanta
Weather
Cost of living- Taxes, property, etc, a lot cheaper
Decent restaurants, nightlife
Close to Resorts- Myrtle Beach, Fl-, Charleston

Cons-
Crime
Sprawl- most people live in suburbs and commute in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta