Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 PM

37 posts, read 64,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I like the Florida Aquarium better, but we have always enjoyed the Georgia Aquarium as well. I also tend not to complain about the aquarium due to the fact that it was a gift to the city of Atlanta - as the old saying goes, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth..."
LOL a gift that you have to pay $26 a person plus $10 parking to enjoy...

It's a nice aquarium. Not amazing, but nice, especially for kids. We had annual passes, which are a pretty good deal (although I admit to being a little miffed that even with an annual pass, you still have to pay 8 bucks to park each time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
most definitely! great aquarium.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
Bumping this thread to get some info. I'm thinking of taking my daughter down during spring break (4/18-22). We live about 4 hours away. If we leave Charlotte at 9 am, drive down and get there by 2 or 3 (I'm really bad with directions and always allow myself room for error), would that leave enough time to see it all by end of day? Otherwise we could live mid-day the day before. What's the best hotel to stay in if we wanted to be able to walk safely to the aquarium? Best places to eat (we don't like chains)? Anything else we should think about? Thanks all!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
The Aquarium is only open until 5 o'clock (6 on Saturdays), so you wouldn't have a lot of time on your hands if you got there at 2 or 3.

If I were going to the aquarium with a kid (not sure how old your daughter is, obviously), I'd eat at Max's Pizza. It's only a block or two from the Aquarium.

Home - Max's Coal Oven Pizzeria - Atlanta, GA

Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
Thanks for the quick response. She's 14 and an adventurous eater. I should have mentioned that. We can get good pizza in Charlotte. I think we'll be craving sushi after a day at the aquarium (LOL). How about hotels? There are a lot on the aquarium site but it's tough to see which is walkable.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. She's 14 and an adventurous eater. I should have mentioned that. We can get good pizza in Charlotte. I think we'll be craving sushi after a day at the aquarium (LOL). How about hotels? There are a lot on the aquarium site but it's tough to see which is walkable.
Hotels>>
Georgia Aquarium Hotels - Find hotels the Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
chuckles - My 9 year old twins love the aquarium. My 17 year old loved it when she was 14... (there's another story there, of course). I think it is very worthwhile, and you and your daughter should have a terrific time. Weather should be nice in April, so consider also spending some time at the World of Coca Cola (museaum) right beside the aquarium and also consider a behind the scenes tour of CNN studios (across the park from the aquarium). There's a Legal Seafood next door to the aquarium, which may be thematically in keeping with your trip. I'd consider the Omni Hotel and the Embassy Suites hotel, both located very nearby the aquarium. Have fun!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,436 times
Years ago I took my three daughters to the Chicago aquarium. After about 10 minutes, oldest daughter (about 9 at the time) yelled, "This is just a bunch of fish." We lasted about another half hour before heading over to Marshall Fields.
If ya like fish, go for it, if you want to see a major Coca Cola advertisement, do World of Coke. We have taken out-of-town visitors to both and it is something to do.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Bumping this thread to get some info.
The driving distance between Charlotte and Atlanta is about a hundred miles less than Charlotte to Chattanooga. That Hundred miles is well worth it when you compare the two aquariums.
The Tennessee Aquarium is head and shoulders above the Georgia Aquarium. Especially when it comes to layout- how foot traffic flows.

I got ran over by a gazillion strollers at GAA I wanted to strangle and maim. Never, ever, ever, never will I step foot within it's doors again.

It was a nice try Bernie- but it doesn't work.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The driving distance between Charlotte and Atlanta is about a hundred miles less than Charlotte to Chattanooga. That Hundred miles is well worth it when you compare the two aquariums.
The Tennessee Aquarium is head and shoulders above the Georgia Aquarium. Especially when it comes to layout- how foot traffic flows.

I got ran over by a gazillion strollers at GAA I wanted to strangle and maim. Never, ever, ever, never will I step foot within it's doors again.

It was a nice try Bernie- but it doesn't work.
The volume of visitors and revenues generated indicate otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: