Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Absolutely agree. It's about doing what you want that fits your lifestyle. My argument is with people who want me to fit some prescribed lifestyle that fits their notion of "responsible" or other politically motivated idea.
I said that whatever makes people happy is all that matters (I said that twice actually) and that for some reason, people in this country feel like they have to move out to the burbs and into a big house when they have kids which isn't true at all. People want to do that. I understand everyone's living situation and budget is different but I have a feeling that more people do it because that was the trend during the baby boomer generation and ever sence then, that's all people have been used to so they feel like they have no choice but to stay out there, especially when we see that that's what everyone else is doing too. I wasn't trying to peddle some politically motivated propaganda down your throat and I have nothing against houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I'm quite irked by the condescending tone and slanted language employed by some of the urban living enthusiasts on this thread. Apparently as a three person family we're not qualified to reside in the suburbs. If we'd produced a couple more kids it would be tolerated. And our house a McMansion? Really, McCrackerbox would be more like it.
I apologize if I offended you in any way. Again, all I was trying to say is that families of three and four can live in condos and apartments. Not that they have to. Although, McCrackerbox is kind of a funny nickname.

-----------------------------
Back to the topic;
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
^^^Id would like to see some sort of Inter County Connector built that spans the north Metro. Its where most of the traffic seems to be in the work week.
I think something needs to be done about the traffic on the north side too. and while I kind of agree that building some inter county highway or bypass would help tremendously, building more bypasses further out tends to just encourage more sprawl even further out. I.E. exurbs of today becoming the suburbs of tomorrow. Again, some sort of land use policy needs to be addressed before I would feel comfortable with the building of what could potentially become i385.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
True. But many areas have adopted comprehensive plans to have good growth and make sure the growth works overall. Seems that is the only missing piece in the Atlanta metro.
I don't claim to be an expert in planning or zoning, but in other parts of the country where I've lived, I was never aware of any kind of master plan. If you wanted to build, you went before the zoning board of the town or city. Here in GA you go before the county or city for zoning. What's the difference?

I welcome learning new things....can you provide an example an area of the country and what they are doing differently from GA and how it's better?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:28 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
If you live in the METRO Atlanta region you will have a chance to vote on a 1 cent sales tax in 2012 for transportation. Will you vote for this? Yes, No, Why?
I will definitely vote YES for the sales tax. It is about time this backwards state wake up. I wish some of the suburbanites would wake up as well. They are the ones who complain the most about traffic, yet they do not want to do anything about it, except complain.

In addition, we (Atlanta) have lost out on the relocation of some private businesses and even another Fortune 500 company (MeadWestvaco) due to traffic and poor infrastructure: Georgia Trend.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
I am not an expert either but know many areas have a comprehensive plan and have always heard that was a problem in the Atlanta metro growth (the fact they didn't have a plan). If so that could be a cause of the traffic problems.

A google search for the term comes up with many cities and their plans. It appears Atlanta has one titled 2004-2019 - City of Atlanta Online (http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/planning/cdp.aspx - broken link)

From one of the links provided below:

Some of the benefits of having effective GMA comprehensive plans:

• Cities and counties integrate decisions about land uses, transportation, water capacity, public facilities, natural resources, environmental protection, economic development, housing and other issues.
• Fiscal accountability is built into GMA plans. Local governments identify the capital facility needs, along with estimated costs and revenues for each facility. Planning for these facilities is linked with land use decisions about the location and density of population growth.
• Developers and citizens know what to expect as communities make clear decisions and as jurisdictions coordinate with each other and with local districts that provide service.

a few links:
http://planningexcellence.org/admin/files/resources/stateplanning/SCP-whatisacomprehensiveplan.pdf (broken link)

City of Madison Comprehensive Plan : Welcome (http://www.cityofmadison.com/planning/comp/ - broken link)

http://www.commerce.wa.gov/DesktopMo...ersion=Staging

Quote:
I don't claim to be an expert in planning or zoning, but in other parts of the country where I've lived, I was never aware of any kind of master plan. If you wanted to build, you went before the zoning board of the town or city. Here in GA you go before the county or city for zoning. What's the difference?

I welcome learning new things....can you provide an example an area of the country and what they are doing differently from GA and how it's better?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
If you live in the METRO Atlanta region you will have a chance to vote on a 1 cent sales tax in 2012 for transportation. Will you vote for this? Yes, No, Why?
Will have to wait and see. The disguised 1 cent tax is not one cent as most of the media advertises by 1%, yes 1 cent per dollar, but a 1 dollar tax per hundred, which in todays world of cost is more logical. One just has to love the full time language marketing experts paid to craft words in public releases.

Many in the media use the case that Georgia has "one" of the lowest gas taxes in the nation thus some of the lowest dollars for transportation, though fails to mention that a 4% + average current local 2-3% sales tax, combined with the current state 6% income tax, equals an upper tier current state taxation in the nation, interesting.

Once again, it is amazing how "government" void of any party as both have this disease, have began to ask the working public to cough up pennies now for a plan they will "plan" at a later date. Current status, pay now for no plan now but a plan later that may not equal the plan now not planned but advertised.

Now, if they would state that the transit bill will be treated as a dedicated SPLOST account and required for a dedicated mass transit plan, in which the dedicated 1% SPLOST cannot be used for "other" purposes under the cover of darkness I may support. Under the current line of "you give me another dollar of your money and I (Government) "might" give you a service in return" is not supported.

All in all we have been duped for decades by elected government officials to the point that those working are taxed to the max via income, sales, service, and usage, which we do not see the benefit, I cannot trust the current request at the present time.

Time will tell I guess, time will tell.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Geez louise, that's what I been trying to say all along, that there should be some kind of growth plan. How is it that folks can go around, complain about traffic, but not only ignore the conditions that lead to traffic gridlock but bypass even the conception of a solution to those problems?

Now we have all these unfinished McMansions & halfway developed neighborhoods that are becoming magnets for crackheads, criminals, & urban campers... Hellooo!!! Bells should be going off in people's heads right now!

It's time to start contemplating NOW about a growth plan of some kind so that we can avoid or at least mitigate current problems like gridlock and unfinished developments in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I am not an expert either but know many areas have a comprehensive plan and have always heard that was a problem in the Atlanta metro growth (the fact they didn't have a plan). If so that could be a cause of the traffic problems.

A google search for the term comes up with many cities and their plans. It appears Atlanta has one titled 2004-2019 - City of Atlanta Online (http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/planning/cdp.aspx - broken link)

From one of the links provided below:

Some of the benefits of having effective GMA comprehensive plans:

• Cities and counties integrate decisions about land uses, transportation, water capacity, public facilities, natural resources, environmental protection, economic development, housing and other issues.
• Fiscal accountability is built into GMA plans. Local governments identify the capital facility needs, along with estimated costs and revenues for each facility. Planning for these facilities is linked with land use decisions about the location and density of population growth.
• Developers and citizens know what to expect as communities make clear decisions and as jurisdictions coordinate with each other and with local districts that provide service.

a few links:
http://planningexcellence.org/admin/files/resources/stateplanning/SCP-whatisacomprehensiveplan.pdf (broken link)

City of Madison Comprehensive Plan : Welcome (http://www.cityofmadison.com/planning/comp/ - broken link)

http://www.commerce.wa.gov/DesktopMo...ersion=Staging

Old 06-03-2010, 02:51 PM

You will get no arguments from me on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
I will definitely vote YES for the sales tax. It is about time this backwards state wake up. I wish some of the suburbanites would wake up as well. They are the ones who complain the most about traffic, yet they do not want to do anything about it, except complain.

In addition, we (Atlanta) have lost out on the relocation of some private businesses and even another Fortune 500 company (MeadWestvaco) due to traffic and poor infrastructure: Georgia Trend.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Marketing? As far as I am concerned a 1% tax is 1% anyway you look at it. Seems pretty straight forward.

I assume this plan would work like taxes for stadium's and other special projects where the funds are allocated purely for the projects on the list and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Will have to wait and see. The disguised 1 cent tax is not one cent as most of the media advertises by 1%, yes 1 cent per dollar, but a 1 dollar tax per hundred, which in todays world of cost is more logical. One just has to love the full time language marketing experts paid to craft words in public releases.

Now, if they would state that the transit bill will be treated as a dedicated SPLOST account and required for a dedicated mass transit plan, in which the dedicated 1% SPLOST cannot be used for "other" purposes under the cover of darkness I may support. Under the current line of "you give me another dollar of your money and I (Government) "might" give you a service in return" is not supported.

Last edited by noah; 06-03-2010 at 03:20 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 03:10 PM

I apologize for the last part of my remark, Neil. It was ignorant, rash, & uncalled for.

Quote:
I'm not the one prescribing how people should build and live. No "my way" comments coming from me. I'm all about giving people freedom to live the way they want. The "my way" prescriptions are coming from elsewhere, and I don't belittle other lifestyles or use pejoratives to describe them.

Bottom line....most people live outside the City of Atlanta. Much of the corporate presence and jobs are outside the City of Atlanta. From a transportation POV, we need solutions to help people who don't live and don't work in the City of Atlanta. Some of those people may commute to Atlanta, and we need both highway and improved transit for them, but more importantly, we need options for people who live and work outside of the city. You may wish that everyone lived inside a small area in the city, but the reality is that's not the case. I prefer to deal with the reality.

BTW...should I start calling small condos or small homes "McCrackerboxes" ....would that be cool?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
I want to learn more first, of course, but my initial inclination is to vote in favor of it. There are times when it's nice to have a transportation option other than a car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta