Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:36 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times

Advertisements

If it includes Douglas County then yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
I would only vote for the Transportation bill if a more precise land-use plan was attached to it. More precisely, I would like to see more effort in not trying to build more McMansions as far as the eye can see or at least experiment with a combination of McMansions and condominiums, with more emphasis on the condominums.

It would be counter-productive to build more roads & rail-lines if metropolitan Atlanta at the same time created even more sprawled out housing development, because we will simply end up in the same traffic gridlocked nightmare. Maybe if Georgia looked at the Hong Kong model for its transportation & land use, I may reconsider my choice.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I would only vote for the Transportation bill if a more precise land-use plan was attached to it. More precisely, I would like to see more effort in not trying to build more McMansions as far as the eye can see or at least experiment with a combination of McMansions and condominiums, with more emphasis on the condominums.

It would be counter-productive to build more roads & rail-lines if metropolitan Atlanta at the same time created even more sprawled out housing development, because we will simply end up in the same traffic gridlocked nightmare. Maybe if Georgia looked at the Hong Kong model for its transportation & land use, I may reconsider my choice.
Families with children...the primary demographic in the suburbs, don't want and can't live in a condo. They want a single family home or townhome. Using a pejorative such as "McMansions" doesn't change the fact that many families need, want, and will continue to purchase houses that meet their needs, whether you approve or not.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
I'd like to see the project list (I hope it isn't just road improvements - would be nice to have some transit projects included), but I'm most likely going to vote for it, so my answer is YES. If we don't do something our region is going to suffer.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Families with children...the primary demographic in the suburbs, don't want and can't live in a condo. They want a single family home or townhome. Using a pejorative such as "McMansions" doesn't change the fact that many families need, want, and will continue to purchase houses that meet their needs, whether you approve or not.
Don't want is the more accurate of the discriptions. You can buy 2 and 3 bedroom condos next to parks. Americans have this notion drilled in our heads that when we get married and have kids, we need to move out into a nice suburban enclave and have a nice house with a white picket fence. Not that there's anything we can do about this but it is an ill-concieved notion. Whatever makes people happy though.

I will most likely vote yes due to the fact that voting no will put the metro area at a standstill again for god knows how many more years when it comes to transportation. I do want to see a comprehensive plan that addresses both roads and mass transit though. Land use needs to be addressed too because like other people have stated here, what's the point in extending MARTA to Cobb if everyone will just move out to Forsyth after that?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Don't want is the more accurate of the discriptions. You can buy 2 and 3 bedroom condos next to parks. Americans have this notion drilled in our heads that when we get married and have kids, we need to move out into a nice suburban enclave and have a nice house with a white picket fence. Not that there's anything we can do about this but it is an ill-concieved notion. Whatever makes people happy though.
A family of 5 (Mom/Dad and 3 children) cannot live in a 2 or 3 bedroom condo. BTW...I live right down the street from a national park where I can go hiking. Do you?

There is nothing noble about cramming 5 people in a small house for no reason. I grew up with my family in a small 3 bedroom apartment in NYC. It's not fun or quaint but just cramped. If I can give my children their own bedrooms and places to play, along with family space and offices for me and my wife, then there is no reason not to do so.

In my drive through Brookhaven today, I say some pretty large and nice homes, both detached and townhomes. Even people ITP like nice big homes for their families.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Quote:
A family of 5 (Mom/Dad and 3 children) cannot live in a 2 or 3 bedroom condo. BTW...I live right down the street from a national park where I can go hiking. Do you?

There is nothing noble about cramming 5 people in a small house for no reason. I grew up with my family in a small 3 bedroom apartment in NYC. It's not fun or quaint but just cramped. If I can give my children their own bedrooms and places to play, along with family space and offices for me and my wife, then there is no reason not to do so.

In my drive through Brookhaven today, I say some pretty large and nice homes, both detached and townhomes. Even people ITP like nice big homes for their families.
Ok I'll give you the familes of five but what about all those families of four or three living way out in Gainsville? Like I said, whatever makes people happy. That's all that matters.

...and no, I moved away from the Marietta area last year to live in the Peachtree Hills neighborhood in Lindbergh where I can walk down tree-canopied streets, little boutiques, coffee shops, Lindbergh city center, parks, and of course, MARTA, all without ever opening my car door. I'm not into hiking.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:01 AM

128 posts, read 215,259 times
^^^Id would like to see some sort of Inter County Connector built that spans the north Metro. Its where most of the traffic seems to be in the work week.

Also, id look into improvements with operating MARTA as well as expanding into high priority areas like West Metro, North Fulton, South Metro, and even increased service ITP to areas like Moores Mill, Greenbriar, Lakewood, Emory, Cumberland, and perhaps Tucker like the original plan called for.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Seriously?

Why does it always have to be a "my way or the highway" view on this issue? Did you not pay attention to the part where I said that we could have a combination of McMansions & Condos?

Why can't ITP have a careful land plan & the OTP be left as pristine exurbia & farmland? Would that not be a better solution so that everyone will get what they want?

I get my condo in Decatur, and you get your precious McMansion in Moreland or Winder or whatver OTP suburban/exurban haven you prefer. Rather than continue this stupid & incoherent process of people mindlessly fleeing further out & builders continually turning this whole state into a McMansion/paved road desert of gridlock, organize it!

It so easy a caveman can do it...

Quote:

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Ok I'll give you the familes of five but what about all those families of four or three living way out in Gainsville? Like I said, whatever makes people happy. That's all that matters.

...and no, I moved away from the Marietta area last year to live in the Peachtree Hills neighborhood in Lindbergh where I can walk down tree-canopied streets, little boutiques, coffee shops, Lindbergh city center, parks, and of course, MARTA, all without ever opening my car door. I'm not into hiking.

Its a matter of priorities. Do you want a 2br condo for $200,000 or do you want a 4 br house, with a yard in a better school district for that same price? I would prefer something in the middle as Gainesville is way out there IMO, but am I willing to sit in traffic an extra 20 mins to provide a better environment for the upbringing of my children? Yes. Sure you can get a nice house in Peachtree Hills for $500,000+, but not everyone can afford that and they move furhter and further out where they can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta