Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,460 times

Advertisements

Currently our family is looking to move from our small condo in Norcross to the Alpharetta/Cumming area. I've never lived in a house before and worry about yardwork and maintenance of the exterior. I was thinking maybe moving to a townhome would work for us, but I don't want to be the only family there with a kid (age 4). Feedback please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:15 AM

890 posts, read 1,649,796 times
a lot of families live in townhomes, my aunt does and she has two boys in their teens, but I also see some younger children in the neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Unless it's a retirement community or something like that, there will be more kids there.

What you need to focus on are things like how thick the walls are in-between each unit, such as if they are concrete or just wood frame with "sound proof" insulation (not nearly as good). This way you won't have to worry so much about your kid making noise that will disturb the neighbors, or, you hearing the neighbors as well. It's also most safer to have a concrete firewall in-between units rather than fire resistant sheet rock as well.

The only reason I live in a house is because I have dogs. I'm not really a "dog walker", and when they have to go out, I can just open the door and let them out into a fenced yard. You can't do that in condos and most townhomes unless they have a small private green space. So imo, it's more inconvenient for pet owners to live in such places than people with kids, as kids can also go play around the neighborhood or local parks, etc.

Go to the community you're interested in and walk around on a Saturday afternoon. See how many kids you see out or at the community pool or play area. If you don't see any, maybe stop and talk to any residents you see walking their pets or on their porches and ask them about kids in the community, etc. Most folks won't mind unless you have 10 kids in which case they'll make up just about anything to make sure you don't move in. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta