U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 PM

128 posts, read 291,665 times

Advertisements

Interesting blog entry from AJC food critic. I would definitely agree that if I see one more burger joint opening up I'm going to lose it!! (You too fro-yo!) Is the Atlanta restaurant scene in a slump? | Food and More with John Kessler

"Usually around this time of the year, the restaurant industry starts buzzing about all the planned openings for late summer and early fall. But it looks like we’re at a near standstill, with few high-profile projects on the books. Will the city get out of this slump? And where is the restaurant scene going next?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Stands to reason. Now is not the time to open an upscale restaurant. People simply aren't spending the money that they used to.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:37 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,236,537 times
BTW, had Farm Burger over the weekend. It's definitely good and I like the whole locally raised grass fed beef thing. But as a burger, it's good, not GREAT. But I would go again. They do serve beer. Need a wider selection.

Vortex still has my fave burgers. And then there's the burger I had in Angola...oh, man. Beef, a type of mayo, coleslaw, some kind of sauce, a thick slice of fried ham, a fried egg (over medium)...between a weird fluffy bun, held together with a toothpick.

As for the restaurant slump...I can't tell. I don't get out and about like I'd like. But I wouldn't be surprised. Afterall, we're in an economic slump...stands to reason.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 PM

2,676 posts, read 5,071,942 times
Farm Burger sounds interesting. Just read a story about a similar place opening in west midtown and Virginia Highlands this year called Yeah Burger - YEAH! BURGER | Atlanta, GA | Burgers, salads, shakes | White Provision, West Midtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
BTW, had Farm Burger over the weekend. It's definitely good and I like the whole locally raised grass fed beef thing. But as a burger, it's good, not GREAT. But I would go again. They do serve beer. Need a wider selection.

Vortex still has my fave burgers. And then there's the burger I had in Angola...oh, man. Beef, a type of mayo, coleslaw, some kind of sauce, a thick slice of fried ham, a fried egg (over medium)...between a weird fluffy bun, held together with a toothpick.

As for the restaurant slump...I can't tell. I don't get out and about like I'd like. But I wouldn't be surprised. Afterall, we're in an economic slump...stands to reason.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,403,041 times
You know we are in a recession right? We as in America? America's dining scene is in a slump, not Atlanta

Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 PM

2,676 posts, read 5,071,942 times
Yet many of the hot restaurants from recent years are still in business and when you go out many of them seem quite busy. Article seems to be based on how many new high end restaurants are opening or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
You know we are in a recession right? We as in America? America's dining scene is in a slump, not Atlanta

Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,236,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Farm Burger sounds interesting. Just read a story about a similar place opening in west midtown and Virginia Highlands this year called Yeah Burger - YEAH! BURGER | Atlanta, GA | Burgers, salads, shakes | White Provision, West Midtown
One thing I really liked about Farm Burger is that they don't give you a GINORMOUS burger. It's a normal sized burger like most people make at home. So it's not falling out all over and you can eat the whole thing without feeling like you deserve to have a heart attach.

They have fries they say are flavored with garlic and parmesan but they tasted like regular fries. They were nice and crispy, though.

So far, the best fries I've had come from The Porter in L5P. Garlic butter fries...and somehow still crispy. They are so incredibly special.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 PM

248 posts, read 543,565 times
I think some people might be misunderstanding the theme of the referenced Kessler article. Read it through, it's an interesting piece -- he's writing about the 'stories' about Atlanta that can be told through the changes in the dining scene. The stories he lists break down pretty much like this:

- Post-Olympics era: flashy, high-end destination dining (Joel, Bacchanalia)
- Post Internet bubble era: casual neighborhood places with a Southern edge
- Post recession: super casual, gourmet burger places

John Kessler, the writer, is stating that he can't tell what new 'story' is going to be told with dining trends in Atlanta. The slump he refers to isn't about restaurant patronage or financing. It's about the uncertainty of the next change in the restaurant scene. As he writes -- "where is the restaurant scene going next?" I think it's interesting that he's gauging the changing character of the city by examining changes in dining trends.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:27 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Kessler ends his piece with this:

So the Atlanta restaurant scene will change and grow. But, for the life of me, I don’t yet see the new story.

Maybe that's because all the changes of the past ten years or so have created a broad enough selection of restaurants to suit everyone's tastes. Who has the time or money to patronize all the restaurants they enjoy?

We don't need more restaurants, more trendy food concepts, or a "new story." This is only a concern to people who make their living writing about food and dining experiences, fully funded by their employer's expense account. The rest of us are too busy trying to keep our favorite existing restaurants from going out of business to be concerned with something that does not even exist yet.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 42,162 times
Default I don't see it!!!

As someone who eats out 3/4 times a month and love trying new places, i don't see the diversity in Atlanta you guys speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta