U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,567 posts, read 8,636,278 times
Reputation: 5071

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
No what happened is Buckhead started to redevelop and add residents and these people were not hot on an "entertainment district" near where they lived. The addition of some crime didn't help.

Atlanta is full of **** wanting to be a true global city when everything shuts down at 9pm and Wal-mArt is your only option. That strip of clubs was great for the city, people all over would go there to eat, drink, dance and have fun.

Rich conservatives don't like that and shut it down. They think Atlanta should be gone with the wind or something.

Want to have fun in Atlanta after 9pm, go to aisle 3 in Wal-mart.

Lame
Randy - You are correct. The folks who lived in adjacent neighborhoods frankly got tired of the party scene (and attendant crime) in that location. I've been around a l-o-n-g time and remember the situation well. But, I must disagree with you - their opposition wasn't lame. Folks living in neighborhoods should expect some peace and quiet - that wasn't the case back in the days of Buckhead Village. The boisterousness spilled into the neighborhoods and the residents got sick and tired of it and, with community leaders such as Charlie Loudermilk and Ben Carter, decided to do something about it. An entertainment district like Buckhead Village is needed in Atlanta; however, not so close to a family oriented neighborhood. Just two demographics that didn't mix well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM
 
3,129 posts, read 5,147,053 times
Reputation: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Randy - You are correct. The folks who lived in adjacent neighborhoods frankly got tired of the party scene (and attendant crime) in that location. I've been around a l-o-n-g time and remember the situation well. But, I must disagree with you - their opposition wasn't lame. Folks living in neighborhoods should expect some peace and quiet - that wasn't the case back in the days of Buckhead Village. The boisterousness spilled into the neighborhoods and the residents got sick and tired of it and, with community leaders such as Charlie Loudermilk and Ben Carter, decided to do something about it. An entertainment district like Buckhead Village is needed in Atlanta; however, not so close to a family oriented neighborhood. Just two demographics that didn't mix well.
Thanks for your post, I agree with you as well. I have seen people parking on lawns and peeing on grass etc and speeding in neighborhoods. Where should it have went thought?

Underground Atlanta is a flop and no where near as diverse. Atlanta had a great diverse crowd partying.

Its like Atlanta wants to be a global city but does not want to put up with some of the "flavor" or seasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM
 
28,148 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Reputation: 9544
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Its like Atlanta wants to be a global city but does not want to put up with some of the "flavor" or seasoning.
I'm in favor of Atlanta being a global city and for years the old Buckhead Village was an element of that.

However, if the "seasoning" consists of drive-by shootings, stabbings and frequent killings, massive cruising with ultraloud music, speeding, public urination, narcotics selling, trashing the streets and similar rowdiness, then I am not in favor of it. Those are not the things that move us toward being a world class city.

To the contrary, they move us away from that and mark Atlanta as totally bush league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,567 posts, read 8,636,278 times
Reputation: 5071
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm in favor of Atlanta being a global city and for years the old Buckhead Village was an element of that.

However, if the "seasoning" consists of drive-by shootings, stabbings and frequent killings, massive cruising with ultraloud music, speeding, public urination, narcotics selling, trashing the streets and similar rowdiness, then I am not in favor of it. Those are not the things that move us toward being a world class city.

To the contrary, they move us away from that and mark Atlanta as totally bush league.
Indeed! Let's face it - Atlanta is never going to have a Bourbon Street nor a Vegas Strip. We are not that kind of town. And, quite frankly, I'm not sure we should aspire to be. Perhaps my age is showing, but for a family (and a late 40s couple), there is plenty to do in Atlanta. Yes, sometimes I long for Boston's Newbury Street of my early 20s, but, I certainly don't long for the Buckhead Village scene of my late 20s. Atlanta is a family-oriented city with its intown neighborhoods. That's just where we live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 01:31 PM
 
Location: New York City Area
394 posts, read 550,745 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Indeed! Let's face it - Atlanta is never going to have a Bourbon Street nor a Vegas Strip. We are not that kind of town. And, quite frankly, I'm not sure we should aspire to be. Perhaps my age is showing, but for a family (and a late 40s couple), there is plenty to do in Atlanta. Yes, sometimes I long for Boston's Newbury Street of my early 20s, but, I certainly don't long for the Buckhead Village scene of my late 20s. Atlanta is a family-oriented city with its intown neighborhoods. That's just where we live.
I'm in agreement with you about Atlanta being a family oriented city and that's a great thing. However, Atlanta is also a very young city with many colleges and as a result, many young professionals. Atlanta is big enough now that there should be something for everybody, including the college students and young professionals. There needs to be a balanced approach to creating a more exciting and varied night scene in the city along with maintaining desirability to families. How do cities like Portland, Chicago, Boston, etc manage to do this...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
 
110 posts, read 202,403 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Randy - You are correct. The folks who lived in adjacent neighborhoods frankly got tired of the party scene (and attendant crime) in that location. I've been around a l-o-n-g time and remember the situation well. But, I must disagree with you - their opposition wasn't lame. Folks living in neighborhoods should expect some peace and quiet - that wasn't the case back in the days of Buckhead Village. The boisterousness spilled into the neighborhoods and the residents got sick and tired of it and, with community leaders such as Charlie Loudermilk and Ben Carter, decided to do something about it. An entertainment district like Buckhead Village is needed in Atlanta; however, not so close to a family oriented neighborhood. Just two demographics that didn't mix well.
In Atlanta, EVERYWHERE is a family oriented neighborhood. Name a location (Underground Atlanta excepted) that isn't. Smarter opposition would have called for a better police presence as opposed to killing the entire vibe of the area. I think the restaurant closings and stalled development in the Buckhead area (in addition to the recession, of course) is evidence of the mistake that was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Thanks for your post, I agree with you as well. I have seen people parking on lawns and peeing on grass etc and speeding in neighborhoods. Where should it have went thought?

Underground Atlanta is a flop and no where near as diverse. Atlanta had a great diverse crowd partying.

Its like Atlanta wants to be a global city but does not want to put up with some of the "flavor" or seasoning.
I agree completely. Atlanta wants to protay itself as a world class, diverse city, but its citizens are afraid to let that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm in favor of Atlanta being a global city and for years the old Buckhead Village was an element of that.

However, if the "seasoning" consists of drive-by shootings, stabbings and frequent killings, massive cruising with ultraloud music, speeding, public urination, narcotics selling, trashing the streets and similar rowdiness, then I am not in favor of it. Those are not the things that move us toward being a world class city.

To the contrary, they move us away from that and mark Atlanta as totally bush league.
The policing may have been bush league, but you have to have some kind of "excitement" (obviously, not crime) to be a world class city. Really, as far as a social scene, Atlanta has a subpar one when compared to other US cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Indeed! Let's face it - Atlanta is never going to have a Bourbon Street nor a Vegas Strip. We are not that kind of town. And, quite frankly, I'm not sure we should aspire to be. Perhaps my age is showing, but for a family (and a late 40s couple), there is plenty to do in Atlanta. Yes, sometimes I long for Boston's Newbury Street of my early 20s, but, I certainly don't long for the Buckhead Village scene of my late 20s. Atlanta is a family-oriented city with its intown neighborhoods. That's just where we live.
Atlanta doesn't need to have a Bourbon St or Vegas Strip, but if it could have a centralized entertainment area, it would make for better harmony between the desire to be a family-oriented city and a "world-class city". The problem is that Atlanta is not a "town" anymore as you referred to it. It's a major city (relatively speaking) and should have the difference amenties/experiences/diversity (referring to social, not race...though that too) that other major cities have. Boston, NYC, Chicago, DC, LA, Miami, Dallas, Philadelphia, even San Antonio and Oklahoma City all have entertainment districts that create revenue for the city and the business owners. Atlanta does not and it hurts the image of the city.

Some fail to realize that Atlanta was once a destination city and that spurned a lot of growth and success for the city. Now, it's a fairly boring city and that's reflected in its stagnation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
I'm in agreement with you about Atlanta being a family oriented city and that's a great thing. However, Atlanta is also a very young city with many colleges and as a result, many young professionals. Atlanta is big enough now that there should be something for everybody, including the college students and young professionals. There needs to be a balanced approach to creating a more exciting and varied night scene in the city along with maintaining desirability to families. How do cities like Portland, Chicago, Boston, etc manage to do this...?
I agree wholeheartedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
969 posts, read 1,622,804 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlyoungin View Post
In Atlanta, EVERYWHERE is a family oriented neighborhood. Name a location (Underground Atlanta excepted) that isn't. Smarter opposition would have called for a better police presence as opposed to killing the entire vibe of the area. I think the restaurant closings and stalled development in the Buckhead area (in addition to the recession, of course) is evidence of the mistake that was made.



I agree completely. Atlanta wants to protay itself as a world class, diverse city, but its citizens are afraid to let that happening.



The policing may have been bush league, but you have to have some kind of "excitement" (obviously, not crime) to be a world class city. Really, as far as a social scene, Atlanta has a subpar one when compared to other US cities.



Atlanta doesn't need to have a Bourbon St or Vegas Strip, but if it could have a centralized entertainment area, it would make for better harmony between the desire to be a family-oriented city and a "world-class city". The problem is that Atlanta is not a "town" anymore as you referred to it. It's a major city (relatively speaking) and should have the difference amenties/experiences/diversity (referring to social, not race...though that too) that other major cities have. Boston, NYC, Chicago, DC, LA, Miami, Dallas, Philadelphia, even San Antonio and Oklahoma City all have entertainment districts that create revenue for the city and the business owners. Atlanta does not and it hurts the image of the city.

Some fail to realize that Atlanta was once a destination city and that spurned a lot of growth and success for the city. Now, it's a fairly boring city and that's reflected in its stagnation.



I agree wholeheartedly.
Actually, Atlanta hasn't been stagnating. For the last 10 years, the city has added more people then during any other time (over 100,000). Even during the recession, intown is doing better than other parts of the metro, even without the old Buckhead nightlife district. Yeah, I agree there could be a centralized entertainment district, but it's really just a matter of convenience (so you can bar hop). There are still plenty of places to go, they are just spread out. Besides, if we even created a centralized district, I bet it would just ghetto and dangerous again anyways and APD doesn't have the resources to monitor it. The ghetto folks manage to ruin a lot of things here (just like the old Buckhead district, just like Underground, and now they are trying to ruin Atlantic Station).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 03:23 PM
 
110 posts, read 202,403 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Actually, Atlanta hasn't been stagnating. For the last 10 years, the city has added more people then during any other time (over 100,000). Even during the recession, intown is doing better than other parts of the metro, even without the old Buckhead nightlife district. Yeah, I agree there could be a centralized entertainment district, but it's really just a matter of convenience (so you can bar hop). There are still plenty of places to go, they are just spread out. Besides, if we even created a centralized district, I bet it would just ghetto and dangerous again anyways and APD doesn't have the resources to monitor it. The ghetto folks manage to ruin a lot of things here (just like the old Buckhead district, just like Underground, and now they are trying to ruin Atlantic Station).
I can't entertain comments from people who use "ghetto" as an adjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM
 
28,148 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Reputation: 9544
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlyoungin View Post
The policing may have been bush league, but you have to have some kind of "excitement" (obviously, not crime) to be a world class city. Really, as far as a social scene, Atlanta has a subpar one when compared to other US cities.
I'm all for excitement. I've traveled the world and been in many wonderful cities on several continents.

However, I don't view drive-by shootings, stabbings and frequent killings, massive cruising with ultraloud music, speeding, public urination, narcotics selling, trashing the streets and similar rowdiness as in any way indicative of or compatible with a world class city. You won't find that in Sydney, Boston, Barcelona or London. It's strictly red-neck, bush league behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
969 posts, read 1,622,804 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlyoungin View Post
I can't entertain comments from people who use "ghetto" as an adjective.
I don't care whether the word is technically an adjective or not, it's still the truth. And the city is not stagnating because of a lack of a centralized entertainment district.

I don't know what your definition of "world class" is, but it certainly has nothing to do with the old Buckhead nightlife district. It's sophisticated lounges, cool pubs, places like The Sound Table and that's the direction Atlanta is going in now.

Last edited by mike7586; 02-25-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top