U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 PM

453 posts, read 655,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm all for excitement. I've traveled the world and been in many wonderful cities on several continents.

However, I don't view drive-by shootings, stabbings and frequent killings, massive cruising with ultraloud music, speeding, public urination, narcotics selling, trashing the streets and similar rowdiness as in any way indicative of or compatible with a world class city. You won't find that in Sydney, Boston, Barcelona or London. It's strictly red-neck, bush league behavior.
I would take London of that list these days

Last edited by jpatlanta; 02-25-2011 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:01 PM

12,918 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
I'm in agreement with you about Atlanta being a family oriented city and that's a great thing. However, Atlanta is also a very young city with many colleges and as a result, many young professionals. Atlanta is big enough now that there should be something for everybody, including the college students and young professionals. There needs to be a balanced approach to creating a more exciting and varied night scene in the city along with maintaining desirability to families. How do cities like Portland, Chicago, Boston, etc manage to do this...?
This.

Another great post.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,589,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlyoungin View Post
In Atlanta, EVERYWHERE is a family oriented neighborhood. Name a location (Underground Atlanta excepted) that isn't. Smarter opposition would have called for a better police presence as opposed to killing the entire vibe of the area. I think the restaurant closings and stalled development in the Buckhead area (in addition to the recession, of course) is evidence of the mistake that was made.

I agree completely. Atlanta wants to protay itself as a world class, diverse city, but its citizens are afraid to let that happening.

The policing may have been bush league, but you have to have some kind of "excitement" (obviously, not crime) to be a world class city. Really, as far as a social scene, Atlanta has a subpar one when compared to other US cities.

Atlanta doesn't need to have a Bourbon St or Vegas Strip, but if it could have a centralized entertainment area, it would make for better harmony between the desire to be a family-oriented city and a "world-class city". The problem is that Atlanta is not a "town" anymore as you referred to it. It's a major city (relatively speaking) and should have the difference amenties/experiences/diversity (referring to social, not race...though that too) that other major cities have. Boston, NYC, Chicago, DC, LA, Miami, Dallas, Philadelphia, even San Antonio and Oklahoma City all have entertainment districts that create revenue for the city and the business owners. Atlanta does not and it hurts the image of the city.

Some fail to realize that Atlanta was once a destination city and that spurned a lot of growth and success for the city. Now, it's a fairly boring city and that's reflected in its stagnation.
A lot of good points in this one. Atlanta lacks a lot of things cities of a similar size and even smaller have. I have long been questioning whether it's even worth the hassle of living here when there is such a lack of amenities that make other cities great places to live. I've decided it isn't and I'm working on a plan to get out eventually. There is nothing in this city you can't find anywhere else and I've decided not to waste much more of my life living in a city I pretty much can no longer stand.

There are a few basic things this city could improve upon.

For instance; a decent central library would be really nice. Go to our library and check out the bums bathing in the restrooms. It's shameful. This city ohhs and ahhs over things like the Aquarium, which is nice to have I suppose, but it's not something residents greatly benefit from. I visited once and have no desire to return, and I don't have anything against fish.

Encourage some street life. Stop trying to make it where it takes an act of congress to get a street food vendor permit.

I don't understand the "family oriented" argument. Jeez, every city is "family oriented." It's what 99.9% of humans do. To be honest I very rarely see families(mean husband+wife+2.5 kids) out and about in this city except for the tourist destinations so I think that argument is pretty weak. Atlanta isn't what I'd consider a family city. I'd consider it more of a young professional city. Anyway...What does that have to do with going out an socializing with all walks of people in a convenient, centralized area? Why is Atlanta different from any other city in America? Why does it ignore a good opportunity to try and salvage a thriving but rambunctious party scene that is well-known throughout the country and totally shoot itself in the foot? Our "entertainment" districts are downright pathetic compared to the offerings in other cities.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,346,182 times
Don't let the door hit you where the good lord splitcha.. you will be one less whining resident we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
A lot of good points in this one. Atlanta lacks a lot of things [B][/b]ties of a similar size and even smaller have. I have long been questioning whether it's even worth the hassle of living here when there is such a lack of amenities that make other cities great places to live. I've decided it isn't and I'm working on a plan to get out eventually. There is nothing in this city you can't find anywhere else and I've decided not to waste much more of my life living in a city I pretty much can no longer stand.

There are a few basic things this city could improve upon.

For instance; a decent central library would be really nice. Go to our library and check out the bums bathing in the restrooms. It's shameful. This city ohhs and ahhs over things like the Aquarium, which is nice to have I suppose, but it's not something residents greatly benefit from. I visited once and have no desire to return, and I don't have anything against fish.

Encourage some street life. Stop trying to make it where it takes an act of congress to get a street food vendor permit.

I don't understand the "family oriented" argument. Jeez, every city is "family oriented." It's what 99.9% of humans do. To be honest I very rarely see families(mean husband+wife+2.5 kids) out and about in this city except for the tourist destinations so I think that argument is pretty weak. Atlanta isn't what I'd consider a family city. I'd consider it more of a young professional city. Anyway...What does that have to do with going out an socializing with all walks of people in a convenient, centralized area? Why is Atlanta different from any other city in America? Why does it ignore a good opportunity to try and salvage a thriving but rambunctious party scene that is well-known throughout the country and totally shoot itself in the foot? Our "entertainment" districts are downright pathetic compared to the offerings in other cities.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 AM

292 posts, read 543,128 times
Quote:
I'm all for excitement. I've traveled the world and been in many wonderful cities on several continents.

However, I don't view drive-by shootings, stabbings and frequent killings, massive cruising with ultraloud music, speeding, public urination, narcotics selling, trashing the streets and similar rowdiness as in any way indicative of or compatible with a world class city. You won't find that in Sydney, Boston, Barcelona or London. It's strictly red-neck, bush league behavior.
Same here. I've also lived in several different countries around the world and was amazed that so many people's idea of fun and entertainment here is public urination, narcotics selling, trashing the streets and similar rowdiness. Crass, not class, rules Atlanta.

The first time I moved to the US (20+ years ago), my first impressions were "Is this the most advanced country on earth???"

Old 02-26-2011, 07:44 AM

110 posts, read 202,403 times
Quote:

Excitement does not equal drive-by shootings, killings, speeding, whatever else. My point is that nearly every other major city in America can project itself as a destination spot and manage the crime, rowdiness or whatever. In 2011, what motivation does Atlanta provide for people to visit and possibly stay. What motivation does it give for young professionals to stay. Compared to other southern cities--Birmingham, Montgomery, Raleigh (for now), Charlotte--yes, Atlanta is a more world-class city. Compared to other metropolitan areas though, it's lacking.

And please don't hold Boston up as the beacon of American sophistication. On my numerous visits to Beantown I have witnessed more than a fair share of public intoxication (vomiting, urination, fights and rowdiness), a drug bust in an upscale neighborhood that looked like an episode of Cops, ****-poor drivings, and that doesn't even mention the mountain lion sized rats that patrol the streets and alleys and terrify me more than any group of thugs, rednecks, Taliban or Aliens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I don't care whether the word is technically an adjective or not, it's still the truth. And the city is not stagnating because of a lack of a centralized entertainment district.

I don't know what your definition of "world class" is, but it certainly has nothing to do with the old Buckhead nightlife district. It's sophisticated lounges, cool pubs, places like The Sound Table and that's the direction Atlanta is going in now.
Can you define what "ghetto" means?

As for a world class city and entertainment (since that is what we're discussing) I'm all for sophisticated lounges and cool pubs. At no point have I expressed anything else. The Sound Table is no different than many other places in Atlanta. The only thing I've stated is that instead of having little pockets (Edgewood, VA-Highlands) spread out, a renowned entertainment district should be an aspiration for Atlanta and should be easily managed. A place where non-residents can say "I've always heard of _________ in Atlanta, I'd like to go check it out...and be willing to travel for it." What does Atlanta really offer that will drive people to want to come here? And by people, I mean young professionals, conferences (the city does have decent facilities), and business persons.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:32 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Just took a quick browse through that and it looks interesting. If I can squeeze in some time in between studying I'd like to pay closer attention to what they are planning.

The whole Streets of Buckhead project has turned me off. I've always thought it was suspicious how this Carter guy popped up with everything laid out right after the clubs closed. I suspect a crooked land deal but what can us peons do about it? I think killing those clubs and bars in Buckhead killed a big part of this city's character, and I'm not even a party guy. That was the only legitimate entertainment district in this city.

Another thing that turned me off was the project's focus on ultra-high end retail and residences. Have they completely revamped the idea? Hopefully the new developers will create something mere mortals will be able to enjoy and live in.
For a while that was true but I think today it some how became a good idea after all because now there are several :entertainment districts with their own distinct flavor.Some have either expanded or newly created.Such as:
East Lake Village
Crescent Ave
Castleberry Hill
Edgewood Ave

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
I'm in agreement with you about Atlanta being a family oriented city and that's a great thing. However, Atlanta is also a very young city with many colleges and as a result, many young professionals. Atlanta is big enough now that there should be something for everybody, including the college students and young professionals. There needs to be a balanced approach to creating a more exciting and varied night scene in the city along with maintaining desirability to families. How do cities like Portland, Chicago, Boston, etc manage to do this...?
For young profesonals,Atlanta definately has that.But Portland?Im not sure how you figure in Portland in this.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 AM

2,112 posts, read 5,131,866 times
OK, wow, this discussion is great. Most everyone on here is desiring class, not crass. I agree!! Why can't this attitude translate to the AS discussion? Currently, AS is crass, not class. Anyway, Atlanta will get it someday. It's heading in a very good direction. I have a lot of faith that Atlanta will be a great city that offers great nightlife (where one doesn't have to worry about fights, guns, issues, etc), great amenities, and I think Atlanta already has great people. It's the not so great people who are so loud and obnoxious that overshadow all of the great people. And Va-Hi has great nightlife, it's my cup of tea and I wouldn't expect it to be everyone else's. \

Anyway, I also agree that it's a shame that Atlanta has a horrible central library. Horrible.

And Portland? Great green city with a pretty politically homogeneous bunch living there, but I don't know if it's known for great big city amenities or entertainment or nightlife.

Sorry to be off topic

Old 02-26-2011, 12:43 PM

28,146 posts, read 24,679,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I have a lot of faith that Atlanta will be a great city that offers great nightlife ...
Atlanta already offers fantastic nightlife. There are countless places of all kinds.

What is it we are supposedly lacking? If it's simply a place to pee in public, cruise, shoot people and generally run amok, Atlanta can do without it. Folks who believe that is the definition of the "hip, urban lifestyle" or "world class city" need to seriously rethink their position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta