U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
 
2,564 posts, read 3,591,746 times
Reputation: 2950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
For a while that was true but I think today it some how became a good idea after all because now there are several :entertainment districts with their own distinct flavor.Some have either expanded or newly created.Such as:
East Lake Village
Crescent Ave
Castleberry Hill
Edgewood Ave
Except for Crescent Ave., those 'entertainment" districts are very small. In fact I wouldn't consider Eastlake Village a party district at all. It's a typical neighborhood.

I live within walking distance of one of the main districts (EAV) and it puts all those(except for Crescent Ave.) to shame. It still is very underwhelming for a city the size of Atlanta though.

And what you consider "distinct flavor" I consider cliquey. At least when Buckhead was in its heyday you had people from ALL walks of life hanging out there.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 PM
 
3,129 posts, read 5,149,787 times
Reputation: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Atlanta already offers fantastic nightlife. There are countless places of all kinds.

What is it we are supposedly lacking? If it's simply a place to pee in public, cruise, shoot people and generally run amok, Atlanta can do without it. Folks who believe that is the definition of the "hip, urban lifestyle" or "world class city" need to seriously rethink their position.
One of the great things about large cities with clubs together or the old Buckhead club district was you could club hop and eat within walking distance and have your designated driver or taxi cab. Not sure how old people here are but people like jumping from spot to spot especially if one is having a weak night. It was great you could WALK around. Isn't that what Atlanta wanted?

Instead they tear them down and now you have to drive 15-20 minutes to each club which is just stupid and how can one have a good time if they want a drink? Then you have to drive for food!

The Ray's Pizza was a great spot to eat late and anytime. The ESPN Zone is gone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,347,314 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Atlanta already offers fantastic nightlife. There are countless places of all kinds.

What is it we are supposedly lacking? If it's simply a place to pee in public, cruise, shoot people and generally run amok, Atlanta can do without it. Folks who believe that is the definition of the "hip, urban lifestyle" or "world class city" need to seriously rethink their position.
This is what I am talking about> Basically because there isnt a party district no more then there is no good nightlife, which is wrong wrong wrong. Thats one of the things Atlanta is known for and has had a big reputation for its club scene...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 01:54 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,112 posts, read 5,134,282 times
Reputation: 898
^^^Were you a little tipsy when you wrote that? LoL

Atlanta has fine nightlife. Boston's isn't any better, fyi. Atlanta hangs in there with the best of them. We can't expect it to be like the LV Strip or Miami Beach, but no places in the world can emulate those districts.

Atlanta is consistently the top or one of the top cities for young professionals to move to. If Atlanta were so boring, then young professionals wouldn't be flocking here. Perhaps Atlanta is starting to lack sketchy clubs and that's what has your panties undone (although I seem to see more sketchy clubs in the last couple years).

The thought of anything in Buckhead always seems to bring out weird responses in people. I think it's because Buckhead is the traditionally wealthy area. Mayor Campbell is basically to blame for Buckhead nightlife district's demise. He was a black mayor who had a chip on his shoulder against the majority white, rich Buckhead and somehow pulled the police presence from the entire neighborhood. That's when everything went heywire. There are still *a lot* of decent bars in the area that people can hop around in: East Andrews, 5 Paces, Churchill's, that Mexican place, P'tree Tavern, Moondogs, and the list goes on and on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: New York City Area
394 posts, read 550,988 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Atlanta has fine nightlife. Boston's isn't any better, fyi. Atlanta hangs in there with the best of them. We can't expect it to be like the LV Strip or Miami Beach, but no places in the world can emulate those districts.
Well, from what I've observed, the difference between Atlanta's nightlife and Boston's is that you can get your drink on in Boston and not necessarily have to worry about driving long distances to the other establishments.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 AM
 
Location: New York City Area
394 posts, read 550,988 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
For young profesonals,Atlanta definately has that.But Portland?Im not sure how you figure in Portland in this.
Well, I picked Portland because there seems to be a lot to do for young people and the scene seems to be non pretentious and not so flashy. In other words, they donít seem to try too hard to impress. They just go out to have a good time and don't seem to care. I could have inserted any other city into that list, such as Montreal...etc etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 11:37 AM
 
28,153 posts, read 24,704,135 times
Reputation: 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
This is what I am talking about> Basically because there isnt a party district no more then there is no good nightlife, which is wrong wrong wrong. Thats one of the things Atlanta is known for and has had a big reputation for its club scene...
What's wrong with Atlantic Station? I was down there last night and there were lots of folks in the bars and restaurants. Or how about Downtown? Or Lindbergh? Or the Marietta Street Corridor? Or Midtown, Buckhead, Decatur, Ponce, Virginia-Highland, L5P, Cheshire Bridge or Cabbagetown?

What sort of "party district" and "good nightlife" are you talking about? If you mean a replay of Buckhead Village circa 2000-03, I'd respectfully submit that Atlanta (and every other city) is much better off without that kind of redneck, bush league behavior.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 AM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,347,314 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's wrong with Atlantic Station? I was down there last night and there were lots of folks in the bars and restaurants. Or how about Downtown? Or Lindbergh? Or the Marietta Street Corridor? Or Midtown, Buckhead, Decatur, Ponce, Virginia-Highland, L5P, Cheshire Bridge or Cabbagetown?

What sort of "party district" and "good nightlife" are you talking about? If you mean a replay of Buckhead Village circa 2000-03, I'd respectfully submit that Atlanta (and every other city) is much better off without that kind of redneck, bush league behavior.
I think you took my post the wrong way I was agreeing with what you said..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 AM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,347,314 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
^^^Were you a little tipsy when you wrote that? LoL

Atlanta has fine nightlife. Boston's isn't any better, fyi. Atlanta hangs in there with the best of them. We can't expect it to be like the LV Strip or Miami Beach, but no places in the world can emulate those districts.

Atlanta is consistently the top or one of the top cities for young professionals to move to. If Atlanta were so boring, then young professionals wouldn't be flocking here. Perhaps Atlanta is starting to lack sketchy clubs and that's what has your panties undone (although I seem to see more sketchy clubs in the last couple years).

The thought of anything in Buckhead always seems to bring out weird responses in people. I think it's because Buckhead is the traditionally wealthy area. Mayor Campbell is basically to blame for Buckhead nightlife district's demise. He was a black mayor who had a chip on his shoulder against the majority white, rich Buckhead and somehow pulled the police presence from the entire neighborhood. That's when everything went heywire. There are still *a lot* of decent bars in the area that people can hop around in: East Andrews, 5 Paces, Churchill's, that Mexican place, P'tree Tavern, Moondogs, and the list goes on and on.

Typeing from my phone.. Sorry
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 AM
 
28,153 posts, read 24,704,135 times
Reputation: 9549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I think you took my post the wrong way I was agreeing with what you said..
Oops, sorry I misunderstood!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top