Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times

Advertisements

http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...aring%20ad.pdf

Why would they cancel the braves shuttle when it is always packed. It looks like alot of the changes are more meant to **** off the genral public to see if they will pressure the state which really doesnt care about transit at all than to save money. Then to make it worse there going to raise fares and cut train service which already takes long enough to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM

188 posts, read 680,262 times
My bus route (143) which services between North Springs and Winward Pkwy is in the list of routes that are proposed for modification. These buses run once in 20 minutes and during rush hours are packed. As the other poster said, intent seems to poke where it hurts most.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...aring%20ad.pdf

Why would they cancel the braves shuttle when it is always packed.
It's called "scare the surburbanites" - and it's not the first time Beverly Scott has tried it. People can actually be pretty sympathetic to legit problems with public services when they run into problems, but when you try what amounts to mild terroristic threats (get this fixed or we'll leave you stranded), then the mentality tends to shift against you, as she has found out already and will do so again.

I support public transit. But MARTA needs to utilize everything in their power aside from just asking for money or a shift in how they can use what they have. They need a zone fare system. They need more sold ad space on trains and buses. They need to rent station space to vendors selling products and food. And yes, the State needs to contribute as well.

But so far they're not doing all of the other things they can do first - they're just making threats to the suburban riders who use the stadium services and inbound bus routes, trying to put the fear of having to drive in traffic into them. Then they knock down a few routes in the poorest areas to rally up the poor folks to a mad level so they'll sound off as well. Taking the cheese away from the mice isn't the way to get the mice on your side. Too bad they can't figure that out.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
to see if they will pressure the state which really doesnt care about transit at all than to save money.
Removed by moderator - crosses the line into a personal insult rather than a disagreement.

BTW...the MARTA board made the cuts, not "the state," and it has absolutely nothing to do with some plot to defeat transit. It's economics. Where is the money supposed to come from other than raising fares which they seem to be unwilling to do?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:46 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
I agree the Braves shuttle should never be cut. That's just asking to be hated.

Maybe people don't realize that you can walk from GA State station to Turner Field very easily.

I find it amusing how many able bodied folks aren't willing to walk five blocks to watch athletic events.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:46 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I agree the Braves shuttle should never be cut. That's just asking to be hated.

Maybe people don't realize that you can walk from GA State station to Turner Field very easily.

I find it amusing how many able bodied folks aren't willing to walk five blocks to watch athletic events.
Well just look at a lot of the people here. Do they look like walking is a word in their vocabulary?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:14 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Isn't this whole thing irrelevant because the state has passed a 2 year exception allowing MARTA to use the capital budget for operating expenses?

Perhaps this was just stuff that didn't get cleared out yet? Or does that law not take effect until next year?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:52 AM

188 posts, read 680,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Isn't this whole thing irrelevant because the state has passed a 2 year exception allowing MARTA to use the capital budget for operating expenses?

Perhaps this was just stuff that didn't get cleared out yet? Or does that law not take effect until next year?
They are doing this in addition to the above exception.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,557 times
I live on 27 Monroe Drive. The service has always been bad, but now it is worse. Often during the week on non-peak hours you wait at North Avenue Station and several scheduled buses don't show. Same story trying to get to Church on the weekend - no shows. This is typical and usual for the 27. I want to get a second job on weekends - I can't because I am handicapped and can't drive and Marta can't get me there because they are so often behind schedule and the bus doesn't even show. The bus drivers - many are rude and racist toward white and hispanic patrons, and elderly and disabled citizens which is very wrong.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:42 PM

248 posts, read 648,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It's called "scare the surburbanites" - and it's not the first time Beverly Scott has tried it.
I don't believe the proposal to cut the Braves shuttle is a 'scare the suburbanites' tactic. This shuttle costs the agency money by requiring them to staff it with overtime-paid employees due to it not being a regular, daily route. That's expensive. By law, MARTA can not charge extra money for the shuttles to make up this cost.

When it comes to making a choice between proposing even more route cuts for daily users -- who need MARTA for jobs, school and doctor appointments -- and eliminating a costly shuttle that amounts to a goodwill gesture to Braves fans, I think this is the right choice.

The developers of Turner Field made their bed a long time ago by building this park in an area that was not truly convenient to any existing high-volume transit route other than the interstate. MARTA has taken a budget hit with this shuttle for many years in an effort to make up for that bad planning of the stadium development. They (and MARTA riders who need their routes funded) shouldn't be shouldering this burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta