U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM

128 posts, read 212,886 times
Holy crap are you kidding me? Are we living in a zoo?

"Josh Hice, 26, of Newnan, was driving by Piedmont Park Thursday night with a friend when he was attacked by a group of high school-age people.
"There was a car stopped in front of me and a car stopped behind me, and there was this crowd of about 30 high school kids parading down the street," said Hice, who was driving an open-top Jeep.
First, a girl came up and spat in his face, Hice said, then he was punched in the face by another teen.
"It split my lip, then they start climbing all over my Jeep, and I turn around and my buddy is getting punched in the face and has blood pouring out of his nose," Hice said. "It was ridiculous. We were definitely victims of a hate crime."
Traffic ahead of Hice finally moved "and I just peeled out of there. I peeled out even with one of the dudes still hanging on the back of the Jeep, and he just jumped off."
"I felt like I was in another country," Hice said."

Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM

2,642 posts, read 5,263,121 times
So, yall come out to Candler Park's Screen on the Green! It's only a monthly event and we show movies like Up! Bring your blanket and your cooler and your kids and hang out.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,144,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Have you noticed TWO common threads to ALL these riotous activities? The first is RAP music and the second is MARTA. The only place out here in COBB county that ever has riotous activity is Six Flags and usually only on the days that a RAP station like V-103 is out there doing something. And Six Flags is the only place in Cobb County that is served by MARTA.
Wait...there is rap music in Transformers 2? From what I can see on the soundtrack it's mostly horrid rock songs(Nickelback?) and the entire movie is just lowest common denominator action sequences w/ overly complicated CGI effects. I'd say its fairly race neutral except that that kind of a movie attracts throngs of young people in which thugs are also naturally attracted to.

You seem to be making some weird generalizations...the Redbull SoapBox Derby attracted something like 50,000 people(mostly via Marta) and even all tweaked out on caffeine energy drinks there wasn't any violence. The sheer size of the Dogwood Festival should have had some Rodney King style riots.

I hate what Marta allowed to be unleashed upon my neighborhood last night but those idiots/worthless excuses for human beings don't live in Midtown and its little different than having a highway exit near your house. Just b/c they can ride the train here doesn't mean they can't get into a car and show up in your neighborhood. Piedmont should have had better security on hand and Marta just dropped the ball and probably should have brought in cops once the number of gate entrances started spiking. Then again I've seen Marta cops sleeping in their car on Dekalb Ave.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM

5,208 posts, read 2,916,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think that you hit the nail on the head, Fly. Less Gone in 60 Seconds, more Gone With The Wind.
I would not go that far...I mean classics like ET, Back to the Future or Ghostbusters are fine, but a recent blockbuster??? Thats a big risk. I was expecting the typical Transformer nerd from Georgia Tech....but the THUGS were well represented for this event.

I mean taking 5 lbs objects and just throwing it into a crowd of people relaxing on a blanket is the craziest idea....What sort of person does that to people and thinks that is fun? Can you imagine hanging with the buds eating & laughing, next thing you know a brick strikes one of your friends in the head....Scary.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:19 AM

5,208 posts, read 2,916,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Yes, because that's something that happens every day, all the time intown. Ooh...scary brown people might get into a fight..have fun in "utopia" with your kids , you know nothing bad ever happens out there.

With that said, urban living can be hit or miss. You never know what might happen. That's just the way it is. It is disheartening to hear that some bad apples ruined this event for everyone. Did they really shut it down half way?
Yea it was funny how they did it. First the projection got smaller and we turned and look at the machine..the guy was messing with it then the audio went off, then the picture went black & white then the audio came back and the screen went black...then "Ladiees & Gents we are having tech issues...thanks for coming see you next week" All in under 60 seconds lol. They shut it down and claimed tech issues, not fear of thugs which was the real issue.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:20 AM

128 posts, read 212,886 times
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/police-investigate-reports-of-541577.html - it's the event's fault apparently.

"Atlanta Police said Friday that sponsors of a "Screen on the Green" event at Piedmont Park that ended after a large fight in the crowd were responsible for providing security, which some witnesses said appeared to be woefully inadequate.

At a late-morning press conference, interim Police Chief George Turner said that any time there is a permitted event in the city, it is up to the sponsors of the event to arrange security, "which does include off-duty Atlanta police officers."

Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 AM

8,040 posts, read 7,139,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I can't stand these damn thugs that ruin our city! I've never seen so many thugs walking around Midtown in my life last night and I was wondering what was going on. WHY DO THEY DO THIS?! Where the hell is the Atlanta and MARTA police? Are they still directing traffic instead of doing nothing? If the Mayor picks Turner as the police chief I am going to be so pissed off.

Mishap, I think you're right about the type of movies. It's unfortunate it has to even be like this.
You talking about Turner from Clayton County?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:28 AM

360 posts, read 472,489 times
Some of you folks need to chill on the race issue. If these kids (thugs)were black so be it.

As a 47 year old white boy of redneck decent I have attended many event in my youth where white kids (thugs) got off their chain.

Kids will be kids. Kids will be thugs. It seems like a lack of proper crowd control was the issue at SOTG.

When a pack mentality takes over there is only one race to blame, the human race.

White boy out. Peeeeace.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 AM

103 posts, read 213,523 times
Cool Ok????

Maybe I am crazy...But I swear that Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen play daily in my cable. I LOOOOVVEE the movie, but I think I will stay home and watch...next time they shuld play the Book of Eli or some things as those thugs need JESUS!!!! LOL!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:38 AM

8,687 posts, read 11,908,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
Some of you folks need to chill on the race issue. If these kids (thugs)were black so be it.

As a 47 year old white boy of redneck decent I have attended many event in my youth where white kids (thugs) got off their chain.

Kids will be kids. Kids will be thugs. It seems like a lack of proper crowd control was the issue at SOTG.

When a pack mentality takes over there is only one race to blame, the human race.

White boy out. Peeeeace.

Good, smart post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta